pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  06:55:04 AM  Show Profile
My grandma (in eastern KY) grew some sort of melon (muskmelon or cantaloupe) - this was back in the 60's - it was small and absolutely delicious. My uncle called them "Plum Grannies" but I always felt like he was joking about the name for some reason. I was in grade school and it seems like they weren't much bigger than my 2 hands held together.
Any thoughts? (They very well could have been any variety and simply didn't grow very large in a garden that survived on just whatever rains came that year.)

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  08:10:02 AM  Show Profile
Pam -

I was curious so I googled the Plum Grannies - I see on victoryseeds.com they refer to them as Muskmelons and they look a lot like cantaloupe and they put them in that same variety/category. So apparently you can get the seeds for them.

I just went back to the google sight and there is another website called rareseeds.com and they call them Queen Anne's Pocket - they are more oblong but still an orange color. Hmmm...seems they fall into a couple of different categories.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh

Edited by - asnedecor on Aug 01 2009 08:12:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  08:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Amazing - I know I've googled it before. Must not have been persistent enough. I'm sure that's them - thank you so much!

www.ikat.org
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  08:21:32 AM  Show Profile
Spoke too soon - that's not them. I remember now. There is another melon called a Plum Granny but the fruit is nothing remarkable (the Queen Anne variety). This one is a variety grown around eastern KY. I'm hoping some KY Farmgirls know what I'm talking about. I find posts on various forums but no way to contact them.

www.ikat.org
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Heirloom melon Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page