Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 How are you enjoying your summer?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic How are you enjoying your summer? Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  7:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! Can you believe summer is almost over and school starts again soon?

How are you enjoying your summer?

Our summer here seems to be flying by! I can't believe it. Nora is growing and learning lots. Tala is a joy to have and spend time with. I am thinking we need to spend a few more days at the pool or the river or something though! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2009 :  8:51:55 PM  Show Profile
My summer has surely flown by much to fast. I've enjoyed everything this summer; swimming, camping, gardening, etc...
But---I am ready for cooler weather.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  06:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great, Marly! I am glad this summer has been better for you! And I am glad you are back on the forum! :D I am ready for a little cooler weather, but I am not ready for fall quite yet! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  08:45:06 AM  Show Profile
Well, mine is going rather slow.
hubby keeps telling me we will be in our new home
the first week of August??
Well, hubby ; I believe it is the first week in August .
Are we there yet NO !!
Are we ever going to get moved??? hugs sheila

www.ohkayteagirl2.blogspot.com
http;//www.sheilascreativewritings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  09:49:30 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you Alee! Summer is going by WAY too fast! We've been busy doing some traveling for family celebrations. Our fair is in 14 days and now we're buckling down for that. It's always so much fun to spend the week at the fairgrounds, but the weeks leading up to it go by in a blur since we're so busy preparing. And to compound things this year, school starts the DAY AFTER the fair (2 full weeks BEFORE Labor Day!!!) Since I teach, I will be returning to the classroom mere hours after the fair gets over. Thank goodness for good strong coffee!!! LOL. All in all, though, we've had a wonderful summer with good weather and good garden harvest. Enjoy what's left.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  10:31:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I think i'm with everyone else on here!

ITs almost gone and i'm not ready for it to start snowing just yet

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  2:32:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I haven't been on MaryJanesFarm to read the posts in along time! Been very busy with my new job at Vanderbilt Medical Center in Nashville. I love my new job! Our summer here in Tennessee has been great! The weather has been so nice. Temps in the 80's most of July, with some rainy days. Our farm is so green and filled with flowers everywhere. Our garden has done well this year. Looking forward to our watermelon ripening on the vine. Yum! I feel like there is never enough time in my day to get everything done that I want to. I am not ready for Autumn!

http://barbaralucore.etsy.com
http://beedangledcreations.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  4:34:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We had summer cloud bursts here today.
it was so great to go outside and really appreciate rain (cool enough to drop the temp a bit but not too cold!)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  5:48:45 PM  Show Profile
i finished community college in May with a General Studies degree. but i've decided to stay home and be a busy housewife, so this summer has been my first solely dedicated to my farm duties! DH and I are rebuilding our shed to become his woodworking area and lawn/garden storage. we did a trip to Devil's Tower,WY and went to a concert in June. Mostly just staying at home, working hard and enjoying our home. We fixed up our front porch area and it has turned into my favorite hangout in the house to have coffee or a cosmopolitan! spent time with my best friend before she left yesterday to go back to North Dakota for college. my grandparents may visit this month.... plan on doing some camping at some point.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  8:09:42 PM  Show Profile
This has been a great summer..but way too fast. We will be going on vacation to visit the "big boys" this week and then back for a week and then only a week more until school starts..I know it will go fast too. County fair is always the first week of school..so the kids are getting ready for that too. And my knee surgery is on the 18th..that date will be here too soon..haha. I am glad I get to go on vacation for a week first!
The garden has been great this year...the most weed free of any year..I think the difference is that the kids are getting old enough to be real help in that department. When they were all at camp this past week I really had to hustle to stay on top of the weeds!! I hate to think how much it will all grow the week we are gone!!
Summer always flies by!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  04:43:38 AM  Show Profile
Summer has gone swell here. Too fast though

We just got back from the beach last night....in time to tend what's left of the garden. sure is a pretty weed patch.

All in all it's not been too unbearable temp. wise

Have been able to spend quality time w/ friends and plenty of summer dinner parties....parties which are dog friendly. Always an added bonus.

Haven't canned too much.

Raspberries have gone crazy this year, blackberries were a huge disapointment
Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  09:58:15 AM  Show Profile
Hello, everyone, as you can see I'm a newbie and I love this place. Summer has been good even though the last couple of weeks have been up in the very high nineties. I just got back from spending a delightful weekend at a lovely old Victorian B&B in Hood River,OR which is in the Columbia Gorge,with my two adult daughters. It was hot there too but we had a great time together.
Sheila, my DH and I are building our own house as well; started last July, just got the plumbing inspection and the electrical, framing and mechanical inspections are next. Our target date last summer was this month which we have re-set to "before winter."
Putting up green beans today and I agree that summer goes too fast.

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
Go to Top of Page

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  11:06:09 AM  Show Profile
This has been a pretty good summer! The weather hasn't been too hot until the last two weeks or so, it got real humid all of a sudden, but we've been blessed with relatively cool temperatures and low humidity for a good while now.

July was a busy month for us, we went to Tennessee to participate in the wedding of two dear friends over July 4th weekend. Of course, we spent time in the Smokies and got to see family as well! Then the hubby started a new job that he's loving so far, and it's enabling us to move out of the city and get a bigger apartment close to the country, the move is coming up in about a month and a half. I've been busy cleaning, cleaning, cleaning and trying to simplify things so that we have as little to move as possible.

In the meantime, we've gotten out and started exploring the new area that we'll be living in, we found a dairy farm that does some agritourism like ice cream days, corn mazes, and hayrides. We'll definitely be visiting there again! There are a several farmer's markets and roadside product stands in the area, and the county fair starts in two weeks, so that'll be a great end to the official "summertime" festivities.

After the move... time to start making Christmas gifts! I'm shooting for at least 80% handmade this year, and hopefully sticking to a relatively tight budget.

Farmgirl #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  11:07:12 PM  Show Profile
I just arrived back on our farm after a long road trip all based upon visiting Mary Jane's Farm and staying at her B&B.What a wonderful experience my heart still soars at the thought of it.To see it all for real and the people from the books,so special and awe inspiring.I'm very glad that after years of trying to get my girlfriends or kids to go my husband finally agreed to go.Now he has big ideas for our place.Much better than me just coming home w/ ideas.
I've been interested in MJ's farm since I first got her first magazine handed to me by a friend.I since bought and read in detail all her books and Mags. and love the web links and am always pouring over them.
Prior to this trip we've been staying in hotels when we do road trips.Well I wanted to camp more but knew my husband wouldn't do well w/ his back on the ground.So I bought(defintely "my " idea) a small teardrop trailer.So we set out after much work to leave our farm.The first stop was an eye opener,loud music,lot's of people,ugly spot.So this is camping?Our get away to somewhere more rural was not yet happening.I thought Oh, if only I had a laptop I could post a topic asking if I could visit other farmgirls farms and camp there.Allee, what if we used the map you've put together for us all,and put comments on it,accomadations,camping,day visits or picnics? By the way I still can't figure out how to get into that map site even though I did get so far as to register our farm.It just seems like I wouldn't mind hosting farmgirl campers and I saw the outpouring of hospitality for the fourth of July picnic.Seemed like a possibillity.
Thanks, Katie
Formerly katie pence-robbins now KD Earthwork
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  07:10:19 AM  Show Profile
I've been enjoying the summer by doing a lot of training and schooling with my Off the Track Thoroughbreds; and then jumping in the pool after getting all hot and sweaty. Tomorrow I am taking one to a Dressage Clinic for fun. Also I like to do projects around the house and yard in the summer. We're not traveling this summer; to save $$. NEXT year we go go the Outer Banks for a week!! YAY!!

www.happilyeverafterhosanna.blogspot.com
www.thewindofheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  07:20:11 AM  Show Profile
This summer has been more enjoyable than most-tho I will be glad for cooler temps and the color changes in the leaves. Getting more gardening done,and redoing my front porch decor wise.

http://www.mandochicks.com
http://www.mandolinbabe.com
@MandolinChick on Twitter
Go to Top of Page

EastTXFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

731 Posts

Victoria
Farmgirl #549 TX
USA
731 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  3:00:46 PM  Show Profile
WOW it seems like I went to bed the other night and it was Christmas eve and now we are knocking on the door of Labor day. This summer just flew by. But I got my blue berries, black berries, peaches and other goodies put up. Got my soap made for the year. Bought a new tractor and doing a lot of joy riding. And of course got to jump in the pool at least once a day. All in all it's a good year.

Begin each morning with a song in your heart.
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic How are you enjoying your summer? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page