windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4206 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4206 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  05:15:14 AM  Show Profile
I have caught bee fever again. I was supposed to have gotten a hive this spring, but the guy backed out last minute.
So recently I have been researching it more, and have read about the crush and stain method of honey collecting, and using foundationless frames. I think I have the right terms.
Does anyone do this?
Thanks Michele

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2009 :  3:32:52 PM  Show Profile
I love honey, but really don't want to deal with the bees! Good luck on finding someone who does!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2009 :  4:58:32 PM  Show Profile
I have read about top bar hives, where they don't use foundation and instead let the bees draw out a more "natural" shaped comb. It sounds interesting! Is this what you are talking about doing?
I really like Ross Conrads book "Natural Beekeeping". I am raising my bees without chemicals, and things seem to be going well so far...
I use an eight frame hive, so that the boxes never get too heavy for me to move. The bees are thriving, they swarmed once, and have since refilled the hive to overflowing again. I split off a second hive today trying to prevent a second swarm. Of course keeping bees healthy and happy in the spring and summer is probably the easy part. Helping them survive the winter - now that is another matter altogether...!

chickens clucking, bees buzzing, flowers blooming, all is good!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4206 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4206 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  04:04:43 AM  Show Profile
I have read about the tbh, but have read more of the langs. And I guess they do the foundationless frames with both styles. I am thinking of the med. boxes, with 8 frames. Surviving the winter will be a challange, living in north west Wisconsin. I need to find someone in my area to ask the winter questions to, like how many medium boxes do you need to overwinter bees.
Nice pictures you posted Peacebird, on your hives. Can I ask, why you are not harvesting some honey from your hives this year? It seems you have quite a few stacked up there.
Right now I am planning to start out with 1 hive. :) And I thought the crush and strain method of harvesting honey looked doable. My checkbook would like not having to buy an extractor!
My neighbor down the road is planning on starting a hive next spring also, so we could help each other.

this being a new adventure for me, it is kind of scary! So I am trying to read all I can. Have the bee keeping for dummies book, and reading a bee forum, but have not joined in to ask questions yet. It does all get overwhelming though. I have built a cage for my future hive, complete with electric to keep the bears out. Next will be ordering the boxes.
Thanks for your opinions and ideas.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  04:26:25 AM  Show Profile
Michele - I am not harvesting this year because my hive is new, and it needs at least 60 pounds of honey to get through the winter. I know how quick they can empty it out too, if they swarm! LOL!
Is there a bee club near you? Mine has an extractor we can all sign up to borrow! I only have 8 frame boxes, due to weight. I can move a box with 8 frames full, 10 would be a problem. Have you looked at the styrofoam hive bodies? My mentor has them and swears by them. Says they keep bees cooler in summer and warmer in winter - and having worked her hives with her I can tell you they are much MUCH lighter. Betterbee sells them, they are less expensive than woodenware too!
http://www.betterbee.com/
Maybe we should have a beekeeping forum here at MJF? Then we could share tips and ask each other questions?
oh - there are a ton of good links here:
http://www.backyardbeekeepers.com/findclub.html
chickens clucking, bees buzzing, flowers blooming, all is good!

Edited by - Peacebird on Aug 04 2009 04:29:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4206 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4206 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  05:39:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Marianne for the helpful advice. There is no local beekeeping club, but there are a few people around I guess. I have been finding lots of info on the internet. though gets over whelming. My neighbor, who wants to get bees also, got me looking at the Top Bar Hives. Or I had looked at the bee max hives, thinking they would be ideal for our climate. I was thinking foundation less. And then we would do the crush and strain method of harvesting honey. I guess the only way to learn is to jump in! Thanks for writing about your adventures!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  6:30:04 PM  Show Profile
Michele, I'm sure you will be a great success! You are one incredible farmgirl and I'm sure you'll master bee keeping in no time!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4206 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4206 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  03:57:03 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Dawn for the encouragement. Doing something new is kind of scary!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

gardeningLani
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Lani
Rocky Comfort Missouri
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  4:54:57 PM  Show Profile
I love bees! My husband and I had over 15 hives some 10 yrs ago, but when all the diseases started hitting the bees we sold everything and got out. This year we decided that maybe we would start off again. We now have two hives. One we got out of a bee tree. We had some bad weather and lost alot of trees in our area. The road district called us to say that they had found a tree full of bees and wanted to know if we could come get it. We did and Walla! We're back in business. The second hive was a swarm catch. I was driving to town and saw them hanging on a pipe fence. I went back and got hubby and we collected them that night. So, now we have our bees again. I guess you could say we're organic, we don't use anything on them and their doing wonderful! Just thought I'd post this. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4206 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4206 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  02:51:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lani,
wow what a neat way to get your bees. Hope you have great luck with them.
I should of said natural bee keeping, not organic oh well. I am just doing lots of reading right now, and hoping to get bees next spring.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2009 :  12:37:16 PM  Show Profile
I don't use chemicals, etc., but I do use the regular frames. A great resource is Beesource:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/

They have entire forums devoted to top-bar hives and biological beekeeping.

Good luck!

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic organic bee keeping anyone? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page