Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fall Garden? Next Topic  

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  11:29:39 AM  Show Profile
I want to have a "fall" garden this year, but I have never really done it before. What kinds of things do you plant in a fall garden? We do usually put in "salad greens", like turnip, mustard, etc. Cabbage, broccoli, etc. sounds great. What do you plant, and when? Should I start getting soil ready now, or what?

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2009 :  1:55:40 PM  Show Profile
Mother Earth News magazine has some great fall gardening tips in thir current magazine you can also look on their website. Brussels Sprouts are a great fall/winter crop. This is also a good time to plant garlic!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2009 :  06:29:57 AM  Show Profile
This month's issue is great for fall garden questions. My problem is I can't plan for fall with with an aafternoon temp of 94! I plant spinach also. Good luck

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  05:26:47 AM  Show Profile
We grow lettuce, and may try keeping a tomato plant or two in our hoop houses. We plan on selling at the winter Farmers Market, and people love the fresh greens no matter what time of year it is. Spinach is also good, and mache/corn salad, radishes, may try some green onions in there too. You can also build a cold frame, and grow all year. We did that last year with two cold frames, and are building more for this year. Another great thing is romaine, which is what we grew in our cold frames We like the baby romaine from Totally Tomatoes.
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...

Edited by - Lynner on Aug 13 2009 05:28:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  07:38:26 AM  Show Profile
I just planted a second crop of bush beans and peas about 2 weeks ago to harvest later this fall. But this winter we'll keep garlic, lettuce, broccoli and carrots.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  08:29:04 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I am doing~ Lettuce and spinach and kale and more beets! Of course I will have squash still and pumkins too

Rene'Groom
the artist formerly known as Prince. I mean PROSSERFARMGIRL (that will only be funny to some).
Sister #185

www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.RuralandRaw.blogspot.com
www.RuralFarmGirl.blogspot.com
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Mulkey
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Jennifer
Arkansas City KS
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2009 :  3:07:48 PM  Show Profile
Last year we kept carrots, a mix of lettuces, spinach and of course, garlic going all winter under glass. This year we'll probably do the same, plus I have some Kale in that I'm going to try to overwinter.
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2009 :  10:34:50 PM  Show Profile
I know by feel that it's time to seed winter stuff right now.Brassica family,Kale,broccoli,cabbage,brussel sprts,cauliflower,Peas can be started now,lettuce,chard,spinach,arugula other greens now or in the next month or so.But brassica's now!But if you buy starts they can go in later.Onions from seed right now otherwise onions and garlic in about a month into early October at least here in California.Lot's of flowers can be started now as well,sweet william,clarkia,bachelor buttons,poppies,columbine.Pretty soon time to do hardwood cuttings,roses,hydrangeas,deciduous shrubs(viburnum,willows,abelia).Just have to make sure they stay damp till rains start.I would do theses things when you start to feel fall in the air.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2009 :  06:51:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the suggestions. I was wondering about a fall garden myself. We've been so dry here though that my soil is as hard and cracked as concrete. I'm not sure if I can get a hand trowel in it right now!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Fall Garden? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page