Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Does your business have a "real" Business Plan?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Does your business have a "real" Business Plan? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2006 :  09:47:56 AM  Show Profile
Late answer - but better late than never, right!

Sarah, my extension office had TONS of printed material that was helpful, but the agent just wasn't all that interested in talking about getting a small business or farm up and running - seemed more interested in the research aspect of farming - not necessarily the business or hands-on ends of things. When I go in again, I'm going to be sure to ask him if he knows other people who I might ask my questions to, as well. I don't want to offend him, but I DO want to speak with some other folks, too.

I have limited resources, too - also because I'm not willing to "bet the farm," so to speak. It's a challenge to do, but I just know we can do it!

What type of farming are you looking into? Crops, animals?

I just read "Making Your Small Farm Profitable" too! It was really good, I thought, as well. I've been slow on the business plan work lately, but I'm getting back into it because it's so easy for me to just be moving around on the farm instead of moving forward - and a plan is where that can all change!

How are you all coming on yours?

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  09:38:27 AM  Show Profile
Hey, I didn't see this until today!

Well, you can see from other threads that I found it. Three acres, but I know people farming on less. I'm going to do diversified veggies, maybe eggs, and flowers. I know, not that unusual, is it? Our gimmick is being the organic, vegetarian family making veggies fun! I'm going to grow a lot of unusually colored or named vegetables, like chocolate peppers, green and red zebra tomatoes, dragon carrots, that kind of thing. That's in addition to some of the "standards" people like to see. I'm choosing my chicken flock based on diversity of egg coloration. I'm also trying to figure out how to buy things wholesale to sell at my booth, like kid cookbooks and gardening books, and string bags for produce. The kids will usually be with me when I'm there selling, and they will get to keep the money for things they choose to grow. I'm also planning to have a website/blog that I keep regularly updated with photos, recipes, and info. on what's ready for market that people might be hoping for. Eventually, I may start a CSA. Right now, since I'm not in the new digs yet and not ready to seed start, we're finalizing supply lists and hitting the marketing angle, hard. I need to pull the business plan back out, but at the moment I'm just doing the best I can, and my focus, first and foremost, is on family food production, so I also have an orchard to put in this year.
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  3:26:43 PM  Show Profile
The websites everyone has posted are really helpful-- I finally decided (after too many years of college) that I'd like to farm for a living (small scale organic veggies and flowers), so I'm getting the wheels turning by trying to get into an apprenticeship for the next three years. Then after that, I hope to have my own place, and it makes my city-boy husband even more excited to be a part of it when I start talking business plans and profitability. Keep the info coming!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2007 :  6:43:43 PM  Show Profile
I thought I would ask here first before I "googled." I'm not familiar with some of the terms used: CSA, SARE, and value-added products.

I have a dream building in my mind....I have friends who raise the naturally-colored sheep and operate a spinning mill, and another friend who has a business processing the fleece into fiber ready for spinning. My dream would be to obtain the raw products from them, add my special touches through dyeing and skeining, creating product kits, and some finished products. I already participate in some local shows, so the groundword is laid there. Is this what is considered a value-added product?

I'm heading south for the winter. Some parts of my body already have a head start!
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2007 :  06:37:35 AM  Show Profile
I think anything that didn't come straight out of the dirt/off the animal is value-added. So blackberries are not, blackberry preserves are. Here in NY, we have a lot of production requirements if it's food, but I don't know about things like yarn, soaps, etc..

CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. It's basically a subscription farm. People pay a subscription fee and either pick up or have a box of produce delivered to them weekly during the growing season. Some farms include discounted rates if you volunteer to do some of the grunt work on the farm, that kind of thing.

The SARE thing is Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education, I think? Look here: http://www.sare.org
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  11:05:10 AM  Show Profile
How cool is this?

http://tinyurl.com/32cyrr

If you google "New York Business license farmers market" it'll be something like the third link down. There's a downloadable version of it that's much tidier to look at.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  10:44:33 PM  Show Profile
That is so cool - I'm going to have to search around to see if there' sone out there like it for Utah - or if I have to customize this one. Thanks, Sarah!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2007 :  4:00:34 PM  Show Profile
Gals,
I've been gone all weekend at a conference for grants, low intrest loans & subsitiy's. I sure learned alot & am now working getting certified as a minority, "women". To better qualify for funding.
We only have a herb busines & only a acre, but are considering a sm. demo farm. This would cater to those with disabilities & elderely. We may also employ a couple of disabled boys to help. We're taking this week to "brew" on what we want to do first. Our youngest kids have disablities.
At the conf. they talked alot about LLC, or C or S Corps & a little about non profit.
Robin-What was the process to get the grant with Soil & Water Con.?
Thanks

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  06:43:44 AM  Show Profile
Kristine, I'd love to hear more about LLCs, C and S corps. I'm trying to muddle that whole thing out.

What do you have to do to get certified as a minority business?

I did a running tab of setup expenses last night, and to pay all the business fees (business license, insurance, booth fees, registering a web domain, getting a NOFA membership) and do a pretty basic start-up this year, I need about a grand. Not much, but a lot. I keep thinking it's probably too little for a small business loan (and I'm kind of scared to take one anyway)...so I don't know what to do. We can pull parts of that out, but not in an organized, linear fashion, and I'm afraid that will make this year crazy and disorganized. I wish I knew where to just get that basic, small amount of start-up funding.
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  10:40:28 AM  Show Profile
The website to certify as a minority is: www.wbenc.org
Also other info. is at: www.onlinewbc.gov

I'm on the same journey as you gals.
We have a Small Farm Expo at our county fair ground next month. I believe it is sponsored by County Extension. Maybe you will be having one close to you soon.

Blessings,
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2007 :  2:32:03 PM  Show Profile
Sarah-- a few options for small-capital that I've come across-- some community organizations and community banks will make business loans in small amounts. There are also small business credit cards, but I would only recommend using one if you could get an incredibly low interest rate (under 10%) and would be diligent about paying on it. Some organizations/goverments also offer grants, but of course the criteria is a bit stricter.

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Opening in March 2007:
http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  12:44:05 AM  Show Profile
*bump* ...how's it going, you entrepreneurial farmgirls?!?!

I've really slowed down on the business plan front. I keep changing my mind about how and what I'd like this farm to be. And then I get all analytical and start thinking that maybe my indecision is because I'm scared to pick something, go at it, and fail...TOO MUCH THINKING!!!

Anyway, I'm working myself out of psyching myself out!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  03:15:21 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
LOL Libbie...my mother always said one could never think too much ...and then I was born! So I do so understand what you mean!

I missed this when it started and in answer to your question, yes I have a real bussiness plan, no one helped me however one of my college courses was Entrepreneurship and New Bussiness Ventures and for that I had to write one as well so that of course helped teach me things I needed to know. I do so wish you all the best, and just remember a bussiness plan, if it is good, is flexible and grows with your bussiness and adapts to the needs and goals you seek and desire.
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  05:07:16 AM  Show Profile
I don't need a loan, thank goodness for my small business but I am going to a workshop june 6 for women & buss. They help w/ ALL the paperwork, filing & that stuff which I know very little of. I have my name & logo but now have to make it all legal. I want to get a web-site but am wondering if I should just go on itsy at first, trying to figure that out. There are so many fiber buss. but were all differnt & I hope theres room for more (ME)

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  10:34:59 PM  Show Profile
I went to our local Small Farm Expo, sponsored by our local State University Extension office & took sm. business classes there. It was so cool to find out that our local community college has a department for helping people write there own business plan and also helps with other business help, all for FREE!!!

I'm going to make an appointment and take our current business information to them.
It's very exciting because the women in charge also has her own business and is excited about helping everyone, though she does get paid to do so. Maybe there are other local resources in your areas.

Wishing you all productive businesses and abundances.

Blessings,
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  10:05:09 AM  Show Profile
I just thought I'd send out some farmgirl good wishes and great luck and fortitude to all of us working on making our businesses successful. My business is my farm, or at least it WILL BE my farm, and I am so grateful for the information and support of all of you - I wanted to let you know that I think about our collective entrepreneurship a lot, and...well...here's to our success!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Does your business have a "real" Business Plan? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page