Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Does your business have a "real" Business Plan?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Does your business have a "real" Business Plan? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  4:25:18 PM  Show Profile
I think I can make myself free on April 15th..How about a morning visit to the farm and a nice lunch somewhere after? I remember seeing in either the 1 MJF magazine that I have or in the book about a chapter in Mount Vernon called "Garden Hoes" I wonder if they are still around? If you are starting The North Central Ohio Chapter of MaryJane's farmgirls, you can count me in!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  5:48:19 PM  Show Profile
Cool! I did originally set up the Richland County Farmgirls but I think that is too limiting...So I asked Cindy Lou to change the name to "North Central Ohio" I only have one magazine so I'm not sure I saw the "Garden Hoes" (boy could my 19-year old make something of that name!) I will have to check with Cindy Lou to see. I think there is another thread somewhere that has the chapter "doings" in it I will look for that and post our trip there.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  10:36:12 AM  Show Profile
Here's an update - I found out that I need to have a more clear vision of what I want to do in order to get the best legal information on how to do it. SO, the booklet that was recommended to me is called, "Building a Sustainable Business: A Guide to Developing a Business Plan for Farms and Rural Businesses" put together by the Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture and the Sustainable Agriculture Network, the outreach arm of SARE. It's $17 from Amazon.com, and I received it today. It looks like a really great planning tool, if that's what anybody out there needs - not just an outline or example, but a "How to get where you're going" tool...

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  5:37:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Libbie~ I will have to check it out. I still have my vision about what I want my mini-farm to grow and the atmosphere that I want to create but I know there are always practical ends to things, mores the pity. Good luck to all of us that would like to become our own self-sufficient farmgirls!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2006 :  5:40:09 PM  Show Profile
Sure! It's so hard for me sometimes to apply the seat of my pants to the seat of a chair and get some details down, and I am understanding how important this is to building a successful farm-based business. The book I mentioned above, if filled out, should give me what I need to take to the attorney to get the best advice I can.

Thank you all so much for the inspiration. Sometimes it seems like such a long darn haul...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  5:38:41 PM  Show Profile
I hear you, Libbie. I admire your determination to put the plan on paper. So many times people just stumble into business or build it up from nothing, but they aren't really "managing" it just kind of letting the business manage them and then they end up with surprises that can mean they lose it all.

Just recently there was a restaurant that opened on my way to work. It took almost a year for them to remodel the house, then put in the parking lot, put in all the equipment, etc. and we were all waiting for them to open up. They were open for 3 months, now there is a for sale sign in the window and they are not open. I don't know what happened- did they put all their money into the real estate/facility and not have enough left for operating expenses? Did the owner get sick unexpectedly? Did they not advertise enough? Was their parking lot not big enough for the number of customers? Was their product (Greek pastry shop) not appealing to enough customers?

I talked to the local business incubator manager recently and he said the #1 reason that businesses (in general) fail is the lack of a good (or any) business plan. Reminds me of a course I took many years ago where the teacher kept repeating that old trite "They didn't plan to fail, they just failed to plan..." tired, but true.

Keep it up-you are on the right track. But don't let it get overly complicated or get overwhelming to the point you get "paralysis of analysis" (my problem)...

A book I recently read was titled something like "Why Amish cows speak Dutch" and it was written by a county extension agent here in Ohio. He was giving some advice to a young Amish man who was considering whether to take over his father's farm or just go into carpentry. He summed up the whole business plan (included in the book) in one chapter. Definitely worth a look.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2006 :  5:49:15 PM  Show Profile
The book for business planning sounds great. I wonder if I can find it used? I keep trying to get my husband to move with a little land (he grew up on a farm) but he has really dug in his roots. Our dirt is so bad you wouldn't believe it. I am going to try a raised garden bed this year for the first time. Does anyone near Mt. Vernon, OH sell their things at the farmer's market?

Doglady

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  04:15:37 AM  Show Profile
Tina~
I am planning on selling my surplus veggies at the MV farmers market this year if I have some. I have all raised beds due to the poor quality of our soil and we really got a lot of veggies from them last year. I am also going to grow a few varieties of sunflowers as the sunflower bouquets sold at the farmers market last year really sold out. I will let you know if I do sell at the market and how it goes.

Libbie~
Keep plugging along and keep your spirits up! I am going to get in touch with our county extension office for ideas as well. I think with all of the resources out there we can at least be well informed on how to procede. It is snowing here this morning and I have a load of wood coming for a new chicken coop. Sometimes the best laid plans are foiled by Mother Nature!
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2006 :  05:49:31 AM  Show Profile
Margaret,

I really enjoy going to the Farm Market each Saturday. There is one guy on the east side of the square that always has the best bicolor corn. He sets up in the same place each time. I have never done a raised bed before and was planning on doing this at the back of my house where there is plenty of sun. I was thinking about 3 ft x 8 ft maybe. Is that too small of an area? I want to plant tomatoes, bush green beans, a hill of cukes and squash on the ends. I'll buy my corn or canning tomatoes elsewhere.

Have a great day!

Tina

Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  05:52:39 AM  Show Profile
Tina~ I know just who you mean with the corn and yes, it is delicious. I really enjoy the variety that comes with the farmers market. Have you ever been to the one in Belville? I haven't but I am planning on checking it and a few others out this season.
With the raised bed I think 3'x8' would give you a good area to start. We put in 4-8'x8' beds but we also have the room for it. We then put a shallow layer of rock in the base for drainage since this old clay we have won't drain. We then filled up with a load of top soil and mixed in some manure. We planted radishes and peas 1st, they did really well. We then put in cukes, peppers, zucchini, melons, bush beans and eggplant. Everything did well except the peppers but we will try again this year and see if we can get them to grow. We are adding 2 more 8'x8' and 2 4'x4'(the small ones will be exclusively for hubby's hot peppers). I am also thinking of making a bed for cut flowers.
I hope this helps you out. We are pretty new at this raised bed planting but it has worked for us, with a little trial and error!

Margaret
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2006 :  10:02:46 AM  Show Profile
Margaret:

Thanks for the raised bed tips. I hadn't thought about putting a layer of rock in. It makes sense. I already told my son he will be picking up some cow manure as soon as I find some. I just got a call from a retired ex-boss that likes to tinker with motor things. He has been fixing my Troy-Bilt tiller. It was trashed when I loaned it out 6 years ago and hasn't started since. Anyway, he said he has it fixed and it's ready to come home! He only had it for about a week. Whoo Hoo!!! Best of all, he hardly charged me anything. I think I'll find out what kind of pie he likes and bake one for him. He's single so he doesn't get too many of those. I think I'll check out some seed catalogs now.
I'm planting veggies this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ; )
Tina

Go to Top of Page

HorseyNut
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Allena
MO
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2006 :  05:25:05 AM  Show Profile
We are going to try some sustainable farming tecniques and maybe try to apply for some grants after we move. The idea is that you renew your resources naturally. This is what this whole forum is about really. It is suportive of organic and natural methods of soil enrichment and animal husbandry. http://www.sare.org/ is the address of the Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education site. They have lots of information on various types of farm venture and there are a lot of grants available.
Here we only have 10 acres so we would be somewhat limited, but we hope to be moving somewhere larger soon. They have ideas for all sizes of properties.

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. - Mother Teresa
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2006 :  3:46:52 PM  Show Profile
Allena - I have checked out the SARE website before - it's a good one, thanks for the reminder. Well, tomorrow I have an appointment with the extension agent in our area to discuss more information about what I would need to do to convert our operation to organic - tillage requirements/recommendations for various crops, recordkeeping, feasibility, etc. to help me add the information to my business plan that the atty. I spoke with recommended. Whew. This is taking a little while to do some market research and pricing information, but I'm pretty excited! I also hope that with the information I'm putting together, I'll be in a better place to apply for some grants, too. Onward!!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2006 :  4:53:04 PM  Show Profile
Libbie,
You sound like you have a definate course of action! Good for you! Please post what the extension agent says and how you are progressing. I am still in the planning stage but I think I will check out our extension office as well.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2006 :  07:15:53 AM  Show Profile
My meeting yesterday with the extension agent was a little disappointing. I think he's knowledgable, but perhaps just busy... and not realling wanting to tell me specifics that I think I need. HOWEVER, not willing to be daunted, I have called an older, very experienced farmer in the area who said he would be willing to meet with me and tell me what he knows about growing the field crop that I am interested in AND he has tractors, implements and the like and his brother does work for hire very reasonably. That could handle some of the tasks that will take "stuff" that I just can't afford right now.

All I received about organic certification were websites to visit, not actual information. SO, I'm going to have to embark on this one myself, and just check in with him, I guess. Has anyone used the www.attra.org website? I'm finding that this is a GREAT one for organic/sustainable farming information...

I also am going to start doing actual market research today - calling some potential buyers in "the big city" (Salt Lake City) and asking them some questions about their purchasing needs and quantity requirements.

I hope this isn't too mundane for all of you!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  6:45:44 PM  Show Profile
Libby and Mag and Tina,

Hi, I was just reading your posts and want to say that I'm in the same boat with you all. Last summer I was just in the planning stages of this "farm business" dream I'd had for a long time. Wanting to make it areality once in for all.

I called a lawyer to ask about liability, and what form the business should take. He suggested a Limited Liability Corporation, that way, if there is ever a problem with someone suing your business, they can only take what money the business has, nothing of your own personal assets. I think I also heard or read that in a new/small business, you don't have to show any profit for 5 years, before you have to "fold".

My county extension office sent me a very detailed Farm Business Plan Package which was very helpful, however, I think I only made it through half of it before becoming overwhelmed! I pretty much decided what my goals were, easy short term ones that made sense for me/my lifestyle, family needs, etc... and am happy to say that so far I've reached one of them already. I have sold some of my soaps and lip balms at our local pharmacy, and at my hairdressers. My other goal was to become a vendor at a farmer's market. I'm signed up at two and have bought myself a greenhouse so I can get a head start on growing my veggies for the market. I'm a little nervous about having enough stuff to sell, since I've only grown for my own family up until now If all else fails, I can sell my soap and lip balm! I am sure that this first year will be a great learning experience for all of us. What's important is that we all have these dreams we are working to bring to reality and what better place to get support than from other girls who share them

I too, have to try hard not to get analysis paralysis! LOL. I never knew there was a term for my over research which leads to fears of "Oh my god, I'll never be able to do all this!" I keep thinking I have to have it all right away, but it's not true...start small. Learn and grow. That's my mantra/motto.

Good Luck to all.

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2006 :  7:19:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lisa:

Glad to hear from you and about your business. I am getting very close to finishing my website and to make it active. It has been a lot of work. I design and create dog apparel and raise Miniature Schnauzers. Today, our spring litter arrived so I was pretty busy. I ended up with five babies. My girl had seven but I lost two :( The rest appear to be doing fine. Registered dogs are not easy to raise sometimes, and I have been breeding Schnauzers for 25 years.

I like the term "analysis paralysis". I think that's what I did for several months and didn't even realize that I was doing that. Anyway, sometimes it's hard staying focused. I'll try to post pictures of the babies when they are a little older.
Good Luck!

Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  6:02:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tina,

Congratulations on your puppies! Sorry about the two who didn't make it, though. That, I'm sure is heartbreaking. Your business sounds like it's really on its way now. Maybe you can give me some pointers on how to set up a web site. I've been thinking that I should have one for extra sales. Let me know when yours is done. I can't wait to see it! And pictures of your dogs too

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2006 :  6:04:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Tina,

Congratulations on your puppies! Sorry about the two who didn't make it, though. That, I'm sure is heartbreaking. Your business sounds like it's really on its way now. Maybe you can give me some pointers on how to set up a web site. I've been thinking that I should have one for extra sales. Let me know when yours is done. I can't wait to see it! And pictures of your dogs too

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  08:15:21 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to request that "Farm Business Plan" package from our extension agent, too - maybe we have that here in Utah. I have another appointment with the atty. on the 18th - hopefully this time I have the information that he needs to help me decide what to do next.

You all have such great ideas - thank you for the information and the motivation! As someone mentioned in another thread about it being scary to follow your dreams, I'm really nervous that things won't work out, and that I'm just spinning my wheels, but I am just keeping the vision of being on the farm, caring for my little guys and having a good life in the forefront...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2006 :  1:53:23 PM  Show Profile
I visited Meadow Rise Farm this morning (our local CSA) and it was WONDERFUL!!! Joan is doing a great job with a small greenhouse and a few acres and a herd of chickens! Much smaller than I thought it would be but just goes to show you that you can farm very intensively and make a go of it. We talked briefly about business plans and she pulled out the SARE book - She read through it but didn't necessarily fill out all the forms and charts to get started. She started by selling perennials - and took it from there. I decided to go ahead and buy into the CSA, if I get too much produce some weeks (with my own garden) I can always freeze, can or give the extra to my kids. I don't raise broccoli, cabbage or brussels sprouts and she does (and my husband loves all of them.) I left with a bag of lettuce and a dozen free-range eggs. I figure if I can stay out of the grocery store I am a lot less likely to impulse-buy and overspend my grocery budget, so it will reduce my overall grocery spending.

The SARE book looks interesting - she said it can be downloaded on the web site - the one you guys posted before - or you can buy a bound, printed copy very economically online.

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2006 :  10:04:26 AM  Show Profile
I kind of fell off of the "business plan wagon" while I was expecting - and now that my dearest little one is almost two months old (hard to believe it's been that long!), I think I'm ready to jump back in. How is everyone's progress out there - any new great resources we should be checking out?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2006 :  3:50:09 PM  Show Profile
Well I just came across http://agripreneur.osu.edu/ haven't totally explored it yet but it looks interesting!

When I was at the OSU Farm Science Review last week I attending a session on branding your farm products and it seemed they are pretty supportive of the small agricultural entrepreneur.

Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  11:00:31 PM  Show Profile
Brenda - thanks for the link - I'll check it out!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2006 :  5:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm pretty new around here, but I'm in the same boat, and I've been lurking on this thread for a week. We just moved to NY from Ohio, so I'm getting used to a slightly colder growing zone. We're renting a little teeny house in town, and looking for a place to buy. I'm trying to formulate my business plan as I search for my farm, so I can make sure I'm smart about what we buy, but I'm a little daunted b/c we've got limited resources. I'm not willing to tie my business interests to our mortgage, so what we can buy on my husband's salary is what we can buy, you know? Anyway, NY offers a beginning farmer loan program which I'm looking into.

I was curious about what you found at your local extension office, Libbie. I know you didn't get many of your questions answered, but can you give me an idea of what the agent seemed able/willing to tell you? Was there paper information in the office you found useful? I've been reading our extension office's "farm flash" online, but they don't seem to list classes there or on their website, and I've been hoping to take some classes this winter. I too have thought of meeting with a lawyer, and found what you said about forming an LLC very interesting, but the lending program prohibits LLCs from applying. I think my husband and I could secure the loan, THEN I could form an LLC and it would be OK, but I'm not sure.

I was going to start selling at our Farmer's Market in Ohio next season, so it's frustrating to be starting from scratch. On the other hand, we'd still have been renting a home there, so it's exciting to be looking for a home to own! I've been going through all the links people have posted and working on a business plan. I also read Making Your Small Farm Profitable cover to cover over the last few days...it was absorbing!

I hope this thread keeps growing. It's fascinating!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Does your business have a "real" Business Plan? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page