Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 Does your business have a "real" Business Plan?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Does your business have a "real" Business Plan? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  10:19:13 AM  Show Profile
Does your farm and/or business have a "real" business plan? I am in the process of setting up my farm as a business, with the vision of having a working, profitable small farm, growing, raising food and flowers and providing a good, simple and real "farm" experience for those I'll serve. Do any of you entrepreneurs have formal business plans for what you do and how you are going to do it? If so, did you have help writing them? How did you get started? I am excited and motivated, and I feel a little directionless right now as far as exactly what comes next.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  10:37:15 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I am starting slow with only a general plan on how I will do it. I have spent many a summer selling things at a flea market/farmers market and was very successful so will draw on my experience with that. The farmgirls here I'm sure have plenty of ideas for you -Good Luck!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2006 :  3:23:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Well, my business plan tends to evolve. I have this week, this month, the next three months, and "hopefully then if A then B" and that's it. I'm a graphic designer - mostly print stuff. I should have the website up by Tuesday (if it isn't, then someone's head will roll!)

So this week: I sent off postcards to the printer today. I should have them in 2 weeks. So during the week in between ads, I will be gathering addresses and information on businesses I plan to target with those postcards and printing labels. I'm also running a special in the local paper this week, have a meeting planned with the Chamber of Commerce, etc.

This month (March): send off the postcards, and begin working on the "fancy" campaign that will go to BIGGER businesses in the major cities near me. Continue networking efforts with local printers and other artists. Hopefully score some nice big projects.

Three months: I BETTER have an office off-site, because by then DH will be home and I will get NOTHING done with him interrupting me!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  08:05:56 AM  Show Profile
My business plan is tending to "evolve," too - thank you for the input. Did you all have a "vision" for what you wanted your business/farm to become when you started, or do you just start with the portion of things that you know best - for example, starting with a market garden en route to a goal of having a destination farm that offers more...

Have any of you worked with grant money from SARE or anywhere else?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  5:59:59 PM  Show Profile
The Small Business Administration has some information on business plans on their web sites, and they link to a business plan software company that posts some sample plans on their web site. I also googled farm business plan and found this document http://www.farmcentre.com/english/downloads/pdf/fbpeng.pdf which looks pretty good. I'm sure there are more...

If it's not too nosy of me, I'd love to see your plan when it starts coming together on paper. I want to do this, too, but haven't gotten it together to start yet! I want to live vicariously!

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  6:01:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I forgot to say that there are a number of sample plans on http://www.farmcentre.com/english/downloads/businessplans.htm and there is a load of information on http://www.uwex.edu/ces/agmarkets/starting.html

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Mar 01 2006 6:09:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2006 :  6:51:24 PM  Show Profile
Brenda - sure! I'd be glad to keep you posted on the plan and how it's coming - thanks for the sample plans. I'm looking them over for the best format to follow. I really appreciate the help...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  4:50:14 PM  Show Profile
Brenda - those are awesome links - I've been reading over both of them and making some notes on "growing" my own business. Thank you so much, again.

I'm finding that I need a combination of things that are in the farm and horticulture (and, in my dream farm, bed and breakfast) plans. It is my intention and vision to have this farm be my life and livelihood - Sometimes it's hard to hold onto that dream, but it's never impossible, right?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  5:11:34 PM  Show Profile
Libbie,
I think it is great that you have this dream. I would love to see how it works out for you. Do you have a job outside of your home? I have always wanted to have a farm of some kind. We now have chickens but I am planning on trying to plant bigger veggie beds and sell the surplus at the local farmers market with my vision being to totally quit my outside job in 5 years time. I am going to check out those websites as well. If you want we can keep each other encouraged with our budding businesses!
Here's to farmgirl dreams..may they stay with us all of our days!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2006 :  5:18:41 PM  Show Profile
Mag - Oh, yes - I'd love to keep each other encouraged and inspired! I work a day here and a day there outside the home (I work as a mediator and a HR/industrial safety consultant), but I don't have a job that I would consider "regular" (or sufficient) income. Your 5-year goal sounds like very reasonable and possible time frame - that's the amount of time that I am setting goals for, and for some reason, it seems "do-able."

What do you want your farm to look and feel like when it is your business, also?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2006 :  3:56:27 PM  Show Profile
Libbie~I'm glad to have the company in this! If I find anything good on the web or anywhere else I will definately pass it on.
As for my vision of my farm, I would like to try different types of veggies, maybe a few fruit trees and berry bushes and anything else I think would sell. We have chickens and I wouldn't mind selling eggs and/or peeps (if I can bring myself to, they are so cute!) I would also like to have sheep for the wool and learn how to spin and weave.
As for the feel, I would like my farm to represent a tranquil, loving place for family, friends and strangers to feel welcome and be able to rest and rejuvinate. I have 3 granddaughters and I want my farm to be a place of comfort to them as they make there way through life. I want my sons to be able to come home whenever they would like a bit of rest from the hectic world, sit back with a good cup of coffee and a piece of homemade pie and just be. I want hubby and I to work the farm together as a source of shared pride.
My hubby says I was born a century late, I love workings with my hands and digging in the dirt, watching things grow and tending to the living creatures in my home. I want my farm to be my job, my passion and a source of pride. If it makes a bit of profit that is alright, too.

Well, I think I've gone on long enough.

What part of Utah are you located? I have to fly into Salt Lake for work a couple of times a year. Are you anywhere near Salt Lake?
We are located in North Central Ohio. We have 3.5 acres so I know I have enough room to grow my farm.

I hope to hear from you soon.
Mag
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2006 :  10:06:10 PM  Show Profile
I took a big step (for me) in farm business planning - I made an appt. with an attorney in the big city (Salt Lake City) next week to talk about the legalities of selling produce/eggs/meat and whether it's better to incorporate and whatever other questions I have or information that he has. I am so excited! I think I'll take what I have of the business plan with me - basically just a vision/mission statement - for starters.

I live about 3-1/2 hours south of Salt Lake, but I go up now and then - my parents live in Orem, which is pretty close to SLC. Mag - let me know when you'll be there, and perhaps we could meet for coffee or something - I'd love to! The vision of your farm sounds like an absolute oasis in this hectic world. How lovely!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  08:44:38 AM  Show Profile
Libbie, that's so exciting! You are taking real steps towards making your enterprise a real business. What did the lawyer have to say?

I have been thinking about a 501-c corporation - a non-profit - because I'm not sure I would actually be able to make a profit and stay ahead of the regulations and the lawyers and accountants...

I met a dairy farmer a few years ago who successfully turned his farm non-profit - he turned his dairy farm into a place where juvenile delinquents could come after school to work and do community service - in cooperation with the court system. He told the story of how they give a teenager a halter and tell them to take a calf into the barn where it will be safe, warm and have food - and then watch the kid pulling on the untrained calf - the calf resists what the teenager wants it to do - the teenager gets muddy and frustrated - and then the life lesson is reinforced at dinner when the counselors talk to the kids about doing what their parents and teachers want them to do. In addition to doing good for the community, the farmer got to keep his farm going (which he was otherwise struggling to do...)

But right now hubby and I just operating our farm as a hobby, or actually more like a vacation cabin. I dream of getting serious about farming but maybe I'm too old or too comfortable - if the economy gets worse, though, farming might get much more viable if hubby and I both lose our jobs!

Mag - you're close to me... I'm in Lexington. Maybe a farmgirl get-together is in order?

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2006 :  10:40:41 PM  Show Profile
Brenda - I'm going to talk to him on Friday - almost a week away, but I'll let you know what he has to say. I'm SO excited about this. It seems like a concrete step that is making me feel like, in addition to starting seeds and getting ideas, I am moving toward becoming a self-sufficient, or at least self-employed, farmgirl. What a dream! Sometimes, in my darker moments, I am sure that it's just a dream and I don't know what I'm doing and it'll never work and.....the doubts creep in. At that point, I just have to do the old "up by the bootstraps" thing and say, "I will absolutely never know what I can do unless I give it my best and give it a go..." SO, here we go!!! - at least one step at a time!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  04:56:07 AM  Show Profile
I've had a business plan for 12 years. I update it on paper yearly and have it in the back of my mind most of the time.

>>>I have been thinking about a 501-c corporation - a non-profit - because I'm not sure I would actually be able to make a profit and stay ahead of the regulations and the lawyers and accountants...

Non-profits aren't set up because you don't make a profit. Be sure to check into what a non-profit really is. If you're not going to make a profit this can be a headache. You need a board of directors, annual meetings and more. It's not necessary for a hobby farm.

These links should have helpful information.

http://www.umext.maine.edu/hbbsite/html/index.html Small & Home-Base Business Library

http://www.umext.maine.edu/ Cooperative Extension in Maine Lots of ag and business links there.

http://www.umass.edu/nefe/business_side/index.html There are links to writing a business plan here.

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/2433.htm So You Want To Farm in Maine? These questions apply to any state.

>>>Have any of you worked with grant money from SARE or anywhere else?

I got grant through Soil & Water Conservation soon after moving out here. I didn't buy a farm. I started with a house, an overgrown field and a forest. My grant helped pay for fencing to keep my livestock out of a stream that runs through my property. And a manure storage bin to keep manure run off from entering the water system (I live in a watershed). And to develop natural springs so that the livestock could drink out of those. It eased the stress on our well. The grant was a huge help and put me several years ahead of what I'd have been without it. It was money to get things done, and a deadline that didn't let me drag my feet.

Soil & Water Conservation might have agents in your area who can come out to your place, walk it with you, and make suggestions. They came out here twice and were very helpful to me. Nice people! It's always nice to have the voice of experience pointing things out to you. And it's always nice to spend half a day with people who have common interests, and your best interests at heart.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  05:28:50 AM  Show Profile
This is what I really love about this site, the fact that we are spread out all over the place and can help each other out with information and support.
Libbie~please keep us posted on your lawyer visit..I am not at that stage yet, still just thinking about where I want everything to go and how..don't let yourself get discouraged, where there's a will there's a way! I would definately like to get together with you the next time my work takes my to SLC..I will let you know as soon as I do.

Brenda~ you are close..I can usually squeeze a few free hours out of my weekends and my outside work day ends at 4 pm so yes, we could meet for coffee or something like that..we are between Sparta and Mount Vernon but I could travel just about anywhere that would be convenient to us both..just let me know.

Robin~ Thanks for the sites and information. How much land do you own? We have 3.5 acres of old farm field so it is pretty clear but we bought the low lot so we get everyone's run off, which we refer to as "Lake Myers"! Do you think the Soil & Water Conservation would help with building the area up? Your place sounds wonderful!

Margaret
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2006 :  07:20:09 AM  Show Profile
Robin - thank you so much for the sites and Soil & Water Conservation information - I'll call them Monday to see if there are agents in the nearest "large" town - I think there would be, it's a BLM/USDS/Forest Service "hub" for the nearest 11 counties...Maybe they can suggest options for the property that would be compatible with grant money. That would be such a treat!

How encouraging you all are! Thank you so much for the information AND support! I know that together, we can live out dreams - it's great to "talk" with people that are at the same or similar stages as I am, as well as to get some experienced views and information. This is great!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  3:59:32 PM  Show Profile
Hello:

I'm new to the forums but here goes - A good place to search for information on business plans is SCORE. It's all volunteer by retired business people and is an off-shoot of the Small Business Administration. I met with SCORE just a few weeks back and was given a lot of information on starting a new business plus a CD which explains how to put together a business plan. They were very helpful!

Doglady

The dogs own the house but the people pay the mortgage!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  4:40:16 PM  Show Profile
Margaret -

How about a Farmgirl excursion to Meadow Rise Farm? http://homepage.mac.com/joan_richmond/Personal2.html

We can ask them lots of questions about their business plan while we're there! <GRIN>

It looks like it might be approximately midway between us... Their web page says come anytime "in season" I'm not sure if that means starting in June, or what!

Tina - I just noticed your address, you're invited too!

Edited by - brightmeadow on Mar 13 2006 4:50:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  4:48:11 PM  Show Profile
Robin -

I know 501-c's are supposed to have some charitable or public good purpose - one of the ideas that I've been thinking about is preservation of needleworking skills - spinning, weaving, knitting, crocheting, embroidery, quilting, etc... Teaching, training, and providing a place where older women and younger women can come together and pass along needlework skills and also life skills... It's not exactly farming..but it's what I enjoy. I just can't see women (around here, anyway) paying the kind of fees that would be needed to make a profit - it would have to be subsidized somehow..

And I also know that finding money for a non-profit is probably as hard as making a profit!

Go to Top of Page

Mag
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

Margaret
Mount Vernon OH
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  5:34:37 PM  Show Profile
Brenda,
A trip to Meadow Rise sounds like a good idea. Did you notice on the website that they have a CSA program? I would be interested in finding out more about that. I think "in season" does mean June at the earliest but I wonder if we contacted them would they make an exception for a couple of budding farmgirls?

Tina, you are really close to me. We live between Mount Vernon and Sparta. Do you offer yarn type leasons now, spinning, weaving and knitting? I would be interested in leasons if you do.

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2006 :  7:29:42 PM  Show Profile
No, I don't offer lessons but I do quilt. I picked it up the old fashion way from an old fashion quilt club. They would meet once a month for most of the day on Saturday (9-3?. . They used a church for meetings and paid a little each month. Everyone would bring something for lunch ; ) Did you notice the $400 amount for 20 weeks of homegrown veggies? Sounds expensive. I'm pretty frugal.

Doglady

Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  05:20:36 AM  Show Profile
$400 for 20 weeks equals $20 a week. That is really a good price compared to some CSA's And you will get better fresher produce than you will ever get at a grocery store. $20 a week for a bagful of just picked produce is a bargin. If you are just a family of 2 some CSA's offer 1/2 shares

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  10:46:37 AM  Show Profile
I only spend about $40-50 a week for all food to feed our family of four (with two teenage sons). This budget has been working for us for about 4 years now and it includes plenty of fresh fruits and veggies bought at the farmer's market or roadside stands around the county. That's why it seemed a little expensive to me.

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  1:26:46 PM  Show Profile
http://www.farm-garden.com/mind_your_own_business/profitable_ag_enterprises

This should be helpful to someone.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2006 :  2:23:35 PM  Show Profile
I got a reply to my inquiry from Joan at Meadow Rise - she thought that maybe in April there might be something there to see.... Let's see, do you already have your taxes done? Maybe April 15 would be a good day? We could meet there about 10:00 a.m.?? Or 1:00 in the afternoon? (Interestingly enough, she said you don't need a business plan or an MBA to get started farming!) Let me know what you think... The North Central Ohio Chapter of MaryJane's farmgirls might be having their first meeting! (I am currently a "chapter of one")...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Does your business have a "real" Business Plan? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page