vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  1:20:10 PM  Show Profile
This summer I am rereading some old favorites and would love to hear about yours.
I started with "Little Women" and "little Men'
Right noe I am reading "the Power of one" by Bryce Courtenay. This is one of the best books I have ever read. My book club chose it about 10 years ago and I groaned when I learned it was about South Africa and boxing. But, hey, book clubs are meant to make you step out of your comfort zone. It is terrific.
Next on my list are:
Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
Bel Canto
Mrs. Mike
The Doll Maker by Harriette Arnow.

Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  1:24:31 PM  Show Profile
I try to do that, too, Michele. I love Little Women..It's my favorite book of all time--and I reread it every year starting at Thanksgiving.

Right now I'm not reading anything as I have a 5 month old, and well, it's a little bit busy :) But, I plan on hitting our study to read a bit more in the autumn (with a quilt on the porchswing!)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  1:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I love little women and Mrs.Mike. Wonderful books.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  4:09:13 PM  Show Profile
The Dollmaker and Poisonwood Bible are both two of my alltime favorites! I love Grapes of Wrath, Where the Red Fern Grows, and Cannery Row enough to read them many times over too. Your list is great!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Becsgirl
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Rebecca
Newfield NY
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  6:54:48 PM  Show Profile
One of my very old favorites is a book my grandmother read as a child. The Girl of Limberlost and Freckels by Gene Straton Porter. It is about a girl growing up but she is such a part of the natural world. A different time quite enjoyable!
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  6:55:37 PM  Show Profile
"To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee and "The Little House Books" by Laura Ingals-Wilder.

Tanna
Farmgirl #644
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  7:01:27 PM  Show Profile
J. Oke's "Love Comes Softly" series, ,mostly if I'm in a slump and need a pick up. To Kill A Monking Bird is great also, I ve never belonged to a book club, sounds like fun.

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care
Go to Top of Page

nmcrone
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Ruth
Grady New Mexico
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  9:41:49 PM  Show Profile  Send nmcrone an AOL message  Click to see nmcrone's MSN Messenger address  Send nmcrone a Yahoo! Message
Poisonwood Bible was a good read with not so good memories. I read that one night when my entire family had the stomach flu but me. I was up all night with the six guys, each in their turn.I read Poisonwood Bible during the calms between storms. Good thing this is such a long book because it was a looonnnnggg night.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  9:46:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh I love The Girl of LimberLost..and my oldest daughter (age 14) is reading To Kill a Mockingbird right now. I need to re-read the Love comes Softly series..I have alot of them (thanks Tina!) and I am ready for a re-read..they are wonderful!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  08:46:56 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness, I am stunned to find other people that read Mrs Mike and Girl of the Limberlost...I thought I was for sure the only one who did...I've had them since I was a kid...
Go to Top of Page

SandyJ
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Sandra
Waitsburg WA
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  09:14:50 AM  Show Profile
Nope not the only one. I also read Anne of Green Gables series if I get anxious. It always calms me.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  09:17:31 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Becsgirl

One of my very old favorites is a book my grandmother read as a child. The Girl of Limberlost and Freckels by Gene Straton Porter. It is about a girl growing up but she is such a part of the natural world. A different time quite enjoyable!

My all time favorite book! I have a first edition that I found in my godmother's barn (she died at 98 a few years ago)...I love Jean Stratton Porter and plan on visiting her homestead and farm in Indiana.

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  09:18:53 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

The Dollmaker and Poisonwood Bible are both two of my alltime favorites! I love Grapes of Wrath, Where the Red Fern Grows, and Cannery Row enough to read them many times over too. Your list is great!

Oh, Where the Redfern Grows is one of my all time favorites, but I don't know if I could read it now (seeing that I'm such a mushy-gushy crybaby since having Violet). I think it might just break my heart!

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  10:29:13 AM  Show Profile
Little House books, hands down! I have read them over and over again. Also the Love Comes Softly. I have a few and like them a lot.

Anne of Green Gables, a wanna read. But I have stated before they are not available here, so that will be a forever wish, lol

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Old Favorites Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page