KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  12:47:45 PM  Show Profile
The Shack? I just read it while on vacation after hearing about it on a talk radio staion, they were interviewing the author. What are your thoughts on the book??

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  12:53:29 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard of it before. Who is the author? :)
hugs

Jessie

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  1:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I've heard of it but never read it before. Is is good?
Maggie
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  3:24:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kelly,

I have not read The Shack, but I was going to. Then, I listened to a Christian radio show. The host was talking about the reasons why he didn't think it was a good idea for Christians to read the book. He thought the book was not Biblical sound. He particularly didn't like the way the Godhead was portrayed. The ideas sounded very sound, so I chose not to read this book.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  4:07:30 PM  Show Profile
There is a thread here somewhere where we discussed it a few months back. Alot of us have read it. I liked it alot..really made me think..even though I don't beleive the same way as alot of it..it is a very good book..and very very interesting!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  2:25:13 PM  Show Profile
To bad Joyce, I can understand why you didn't read it, I am with you Jenny, But is was a very good book.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  2:53:42 PM  Show Profile
A friend of mine bought it for me for Christmas and I keep forgetting I have it. I'll have to get it out and read it. I've heard nothing but wonderful things about the book.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  4:05:08 PM  Show Profile
I read it a while back and liked it. While I can see how some religious leaders might oppose the book, I did not find it offensive (as a Christian) because I have always been taught that God is everywhere and can appear in all forms to make himself accessible to us. Having said that, I did like it for the most part and it caused me to think a lot about life and death and how to handle both.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  6:59:52 PM  Show Profile
Joyce, I encourage you to read it and come to your own conclusions instead of allowing someone else to do that for you. Your comment reminds me of how when the first Harry Potter movie hit the big screen there was an uproar from the Christian right, and yet this final movie has received the accolades of the Vatican. At the root of the entire series is the age old battle of good vs. evil. At the root of The Shack is the promise of God's love for His children. What we all need to remember about both is that they are fiction and there are no claims on either that they are literal translations of God's Word.

God gives us a spirit of discernment when we ask and has blessed His creation with imagination. We have only to walk outside and take a look around to fully appreciate His own vast, wonderful imagination. The Shack is very imaginative and has many lessons to be learned for those with eyes to see and ears to hear. I thoroughly enjoyed it and know that it didn't cause any stumbling blocks in my faith or beliefs.

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  9:40:13 PM  Show Profile
Very well said Cherry..that is how I feel about it. The parts that don't really go along with my beliefs sure didn't change how I feel..but I still found it a very good book, very interesting and well worth reading.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  08:14:06 AM  Show Profile
Why, thank you, Jenny! I'm not trying to defend the book. I just have a deep, deep appreciation for imaginative works, rather it be a book or a painting or a sculpture. I recently saw a picture on the internet of a squid that is formed in such a way it looks like a round smiling face. And when I saw it, I couldn't help but to laugh at loud at God's imagination to have created this critter that spends all of it's days looking so happy! It made me think about how sometimes we go around with a frown on our face over our petty little griefs or annoyances and how God might get aggravated, or just plain sad, because we don't smile more when He's given us so much to smile over! And here this little guy is, wearing a smile every single day of his life!

So, authors who can create entire worlds with their imagination, like CS Lewis (Narnia) and JK Rowling and William P. Young, awe and inspire me. And I don't think God disapproves of them. I think He enjoys their imaginations as much as we do and that He appreciates their works and that they are using the gift He gave them. I mean, just think about it, you know God has a sense of humor and a vivid imagination when you just look at that little squid!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  08:32:41 AM  Show Profile
Bravo Cherry!!! I couldn't agree more.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  4:45:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you Cherry, I'm just not that good a typing how I feel! I thought it was a great book and well worth reading.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Has anyone read........ Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page