1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  12:57:21 PM  Show Profile
?????
Just got home from Amish
country with a new Amish cookbook. There are recipes there for quickbreads baked in wide mouth pint jars and then screw on the lids as soon as the bread comes out of the oven. These ladies claim they will keep in the pantry for up to a year.
Has anybody tried this?????
I am very intrigued by the possibilities
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  1:49:13 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I don't know, but I'd sure love to! Hope someone has the answer!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  3:01:20 PM  Show Profile
My mom and dad did that a couple years ago for christmas presents. They even made chocolate cake! Works like a charm.

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  4:05:43 PM  Show Profile
I do it. I know it isn't "recomended" but it works and is just lovely for little gifts. I always sterilize the jars first and I water bath can them (lids screwed down really tightly) too. If you google cakes in jars recipes or something like that there are alot of recipes for this. I like the apple cake in a jar and nut bread in a jar best.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  7:15:43 PM  Show Profile
Oh Jenny
I knew you would have delved into this!!
Canning queen of MJ's site (& maybe the whole free world!)
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  7:38:48 PM  Show Profile
So does anyone have a favorite recipe and then a method of canning they'd like to share?

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  9:10:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jenny- I think you should share your tried and true recipes!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  9:23:34 PM  Show Profile
Apple bread in a jar:

INGREDIENTS
2/3 cup butter
2 2/3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup water
3 cups grated apple(leave the peel on)
2/3 cup raisins
2/3 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly butter the insides of 8 straight-sided wide-mouth pint canning jars. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Set aside.
Cream softened butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and beat in well. Add flours alternately with water and mix until smooth. Fold in apples, raisins and nuts.
Fill jars 1/2 full of batter, being careful to keep the rims clean.(any more full than 1/2 and they will rise above the rims and won't seal) Wipe off any batter that gets on the rims. Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, sterilize the lids and rings in boiling water.
As soon as cake is done, remove from oven one at a time, wipe rims of jars and put on lid and ring. Jars will seal as cakes cool. Place the jars on the counter and listen for them to "ping" as they seal. If you miss the "ping", wait until they are completely cool and press on the top of the lid. If it doesn't move at all, it's sealed. I usually water bath can them for 10 min. if they will be stored for more than 6 months. Good luck getting them to last that long though. This is yummy stuff.
I adapted this recipe from one that someone gave me (added the whole wheat flour and I use butter instead of shortening) I have made this same recipe with grated zuchinni instead of apple and it works well too. Don't try this in quart jars..it dosn't work. (I learned the hard way) My kids like to get a fork and eat it right out of the jar for a special treat..but it does come out easily by just running a butter knife around the inside of the jar to loosen the cake. This is more like quick bread than cake. Have fun girls!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jul 28 2009 3:09:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  01:21:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
This sounds yummy and I can see this going as gifts this Christmas :)

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  07:14:55 AM  Show Profile
WOW!!!!
Who knew??? Well, obviously Jenny.
Thanks girls, I can't wait to try this.
I like the water bath method; makes me feel a little safer about not poisoning people, although...... there are SOME people....
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  07:18:47 AM  Show Profile
I've baked breads in widemouth canning jars. It's quite easy. Makes great gifts. My favorites are Strawberry Nut bread and Harvest Pumpkin Pecan bread.

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele
Go to Top of Page

Amy Warwick
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

Amy
Oakesdale WA
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  07:41:17 AM  Show Profile
I've done it. It is fantastic and as Tidy said, it is great for gifts. I love the pumpkin bread with a dollop of whipped cream.

For information on SUMMER SNOW please visit www.amywarwick.com

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it ~Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  11:48:08 AM  Show Profile
OOOh...pumpkin sounds fabulous! I will be doing that for sure next. I love pumpkin anything!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  12:53:13 PM  Show Profile
I have several "cake in a jar" recipes. They are great to have on hand when someone drops by for coffee or for a late night snack. I almost always have applesauce, kaluha, and rum cakes on hand. They are made with a lot of oil, a cake mix and a package of pudding as the main ingredients. Let me know if you are interested.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  1:54:37 PM  Show Profile
Shirley, you bet we're interested. Please post the recipes if its not too much trouble. I know we can get some recipes online, but I prefer the ones someone else has tried and recommends. I am assuming yours are also in pint jars?
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  3:10:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
this sounds like such a fun thing to try!

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  8:45:48 PM  Show Profile
Oney,
Please share your recipe for Harvest Pumpkin Pecan bread! That sounds sooooooooooo good!

Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  05:07:00 AM  Show Profile
Yes it is true. Last year I canned whole wheat bread, and cake. Cake keeps very well, but better eaten in about 7 months. The cake was an experiment to see if it might make a good gift for the holidays. Well, at least my husband and I enjoyed it. Some just thought it was strange. The chocolate was the best, and very moist.
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  1:48:48 PM  Show Profile
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just took a canning class from our county extension office and our agent/teacher said it is not safe to make those cake in a jar sort of things. She didn't say anything about water bath canning them, but said they are not recommended.

Cherian in Durango, CO
Go to Top of Page

kofarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Kandra
Hedley Texas
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  5:27:52 PM  Show Profile

If anyone is interested my great Aunt has a recipe for what she calls Grandma's Butter Cake and she says you can seal it in wide mouth pint jars for about a month. We made them but they didn't last a month because it is really gooooood!

1 c. butter or margarine
2 c. sugar
6 eggs
2 c. flour
2 t. vanilla

Cream butter. Add sugar. Continue to beat. Add eggs one at a time beating after each addition. Add flour and vanilla. Cook in buttered and floured pan at 325 for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or until test done.

Freezes well. Can be cooked in wide-mouth pint jars then sealed. Will keep for month.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2009 :  6:23:03 PM  Show Profile
I will get the recipes to you tomorrow. Hope you enjoy them.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  6:52:37 PM  Show Profile
OK - here are some of the recipes. They are baked in wide-mouth pint jars. Do not be alarmed when the cakes rise well above the rim. They will deflate quickly. They may overflow some. Mine have never lasted more than 6 months on the shelf, but I am told they are good for a year.

Rum or Amaretto Cake in a Jar: 1 yellow cake mix, 1 (4 serving) vanilla instant pudding, 4 eggs, 1 C oil, 1/2 C water, 3/4 C rum or Amaretto.

Place cake mix and pudding mix in a large bowl. Blend with a whisk. Add eggs, oil, water and rum/amaretto. Mix with electric mixer for 2 minutes. Place 1 scant cup of batter in each of 6 well greased pint canning jars. Wipe batter from the rim. Place the jars on a baking sheet. Bake at 325 for 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Wipe the rims. Place hot sterilized seals and rings on hot jars.

Kahlua Cake in a Jar: Substitute with chocolate pudding and Kahlua.

Zucchini Bread in a Jar: 2 C sugar, 1 C oil, 3 eggs, 2/3 C water, 1 tsp vanilla, 3-1/4 C flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1-1/2 Tbl cinnamon, 3 C grated zucchini, 1 C chopped nuts.

In a lg bowl, cream sugar and oil with electric mixer. Add eggs and mix well. Add water and vanilla and mix well. Place dry ingredients in a separate lg bowl and blend with a whisk. Add creamed ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with a whisk and spoon. Stir in grated zucchini and nuts. Place 1 C batter in each of 6 well-greased jars. Wipe batter from rim. Bake on a baking sheet at 325 for 55-60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Wipe rims. Place hot lids and rings on hot jars.

I have about 25 other recipes, some from scratch. If you are interested, let me know and I can e-mail a copy of them.

Hope you enjoy making these as much as I do.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Quick Breads Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page