Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  03:31:04 AM  Show Profile
Picked up my first ever issue of MJF magazine and saw the recipe for pemican. (sp?)

Got distracted and wound up putting the mag down. Phooey

Can anyone pass along that recipe?

It looks perfect for keeping up energy for cycling.

Thanks!

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  1:09:58 PM  Show Profile
I have a recipe from years ago that was used by the Indians of the California desert. It was the food they used when running from one village to another to carry a message. I will try to find it and share it. I did not see the one you mentioned, but this may be close.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  6:31:16 PM  Show Profile
Anna - as promised, I located the recipe. It is from my college days when we had a course in Indian and Early American recipes. I am copying it from the printed sheet given in the class. At the end of the course, we prepared every recipe contributed and had an open-house lunch for anyone on campus. I remember how surprized everyone was when they learned what they were eating.

Pemikken: This recipe was originally a form of pemmican and called for equal parts of dried lean meat well pounded or ground and added to fruit. It was pressed into very thin wafer-like cakes, dried throughly and stored in a cool place until needed. Prepared as a concentrated high-energy food, used for emergency rations. It aided in relief of constipation and anemia, or that tired dragged out feeling one gets in later part of winter.

Modern version: Select equal parts of dried fruits, such as raisins, prunes, apricots, apples, peaches, etc. and run these through a chopper, using a coarse blade, add chopped walnuts or pecans. Mix well and form into small balls the size of walnuts. Press slightly between the palms of your hands to flatten. Can be used in place of cookies and candy. Great for camping or picnics.

Please let me know if you make this, if it is what you were looking for, and how it went over with your family. I had forgotten about it and haven't made it in 20 years or more.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic pemican Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page