Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  07:35:15 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone freeze corn on the cob? I really need help on how to freeze it without it loosing its flavor when thawed. How do you freeze them. Should I put frozen ears in boiling water or let them thaw first.

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  08:22:03 AM  Show Profile
I have blanched and then froze didn't care for it to soft no crunch left. So I will this year again can it and it is labor intensive but the flavor is so great.I have a friend who just sticks the corn in the freezer husk and all seems to work for her.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  08:52:56 AM  Show Profile
I had the same question last year. I tried it on the cob. I don't like it it is too baggy. I will be doing it off the cob this year.

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  09:29:53 AM  Show Profile
I just put corn in the freezer last week. I shuck and clean up the ears and put them in bags and use the vaccume sealer to suck out the air. I have always had good luck doing that. When I cook the ears, I let them get almost thawed then stem them. I don't cook them long and they are always crisp. Not as good as fresh but good.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  09:44:45 AM  Show Profile
This is how I freeze and use corn on the cob and works every time and is crunchy. Pick the corn, husk the corn, put it in a zip lock freezer bag, seal it and toss it in the freezer. When you go to use it, you get your water boiling, then take the corn out of the freezer and drop it in the boiling water. The trick is to not let it unthaw before you cook and eat it. Corn stays bright and crisp. Try a dozen and see it really does work.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  6:52:57 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your responses. I really want to have corn on the cob all year, but was about to give up on it because it is always for soggy.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2009 :  7:31:00 PM  Show Profile
I have decided to try something different than what I have done in the past (blanching, vaccum sealing, just wrapping in waxed paper and/or plastic wrap, etc.) I spent the day pulling the husk back, removed the silks and cut out any bad spots, then pulled the husk back over the cob. I tightly wrapped each ear in plastic wrap and stuck it in the freezer. I remembered when I was young a neighbor always froze hers in the husk. She also boiled it in the husk. She said it kept the sweetness in and the water out. Anyway, I am giving it a try and will let you know how it works. I think I will wait a couple of weeks before testing.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezing Corn on the Cob Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page