GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  10:04:04 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Hey Farmgirls - any good recipes out there for liver, other than the standard liver and onions. My hubby and I have all the liver to ourselves whenever our sons butcher beef or pork - we love it, but thought I would see if any of you had different ways of preparing. Thank you.

GailMN

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:23:56 AM  Show Profile
My husband go anywhere near it. We have been married almost 28 years and I have never brought it in the house. I have only had liver and onions too. (many moons ago) My grandma used to cook the chicken livers and I ate those all the time along with the heart and gizzards.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:51:06 AM  Show Profile
Fryed rabbit livers are the best, beef liver with bacon and onions is also a favorite, left over liver mashed and spread on bread is wonderful

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  6:06:53 PM  Show Profile
Teresa, I just read your post to hubby and he said to tell you that he just lost his toenails.
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  7:11:50 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE liver.. I never used to, but an old boyfirend made chicken livers for me dredged in a flour, salt, pepper, & oregano combo & from then on I was hooked!! It is definitely an aquired taste..but I have aquired it!!.. That & anchovies! I was eating those last night right out of the tin.. Yummo!
My daddy liked the fishy stuff & mom likes liver..SOO I guess I have the best of both!!
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  7:52:43 PM  Show Profile
Sharlet, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to ruin anyones dinner, LOL.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  7:56:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh, that ok Teresa....I waited until he was almost finished to read it to him. I was being courteous.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:35:34 AM  Show Profile
Liver and onions are my most requested meal. I never fix it without inviting some one over. My son, whose wife won't touch it. Our neighbor whose hubby won't eat it. Son in law, daughter won't fix or eat it. We have friends, they both eat it. The last side of beef we got from the neighbor came with 2 of the steer's livers. Yipeee! It is so inexpensive at the store too.

Gail, to answer your question. I don't have any other way to fix Liver. My crowd would have a fit if I tried to do something else other than Liver and Onions.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:41:23 AM  Show Profile
I don't fix it at all. But I do eat it out. Every time I see it on the menu at a restaurant, I give it a try. Just want the chef to know that it shouldn't be overcooked and dry. They usually come through for me.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

82kygal
True Blue Farmgirl

548 Posts

Laura
Somerset Kentucky
USA
548 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  11:19:54 AM  Show Profile
BLEECH

With God, all things are possible. (Mark 10:27)
What ever you are, be a good one. (Abe Lincoln)
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  2:23:24 PM  Show Profile
Liver and onions is the only way I have had it, but you might try cooks.com. Do a search on Liver and see what comes up.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  3:31:25 PM  Show Profile
A great liver recipe is " Liver Pie". Kinda like pot pie, but with liver, onions, bacon, and what ever veggys you like, I add okra, green beans, and sometimes potato. partialy cook the liver with the onions and bacon, and partialy cook bottom crust fist, mix it all together , if dry add some beef stock, just a little or it will be soggy crust. bake at 300 til crust is golden brown, really yummy

Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2009 :  4:06:11 PM  Show Profile
I made liver and onions once for my sons, they were about 10 & 11 and I always fed them supper as soon as they got off the bus. They as usual came home hungry and the house smelled great. They both took a big bite and actually ate what was in their mouth. Them looked at me and said "Mom, don't ever do that again." and I never did. My DH loves it, I don't so when he does something special for my mom she will make him a lot of it. Yuck! But she also makes extra onions and I love that.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Liver Anyone Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page