Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I finally have it Next Topic  

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  06:39:38 AM  Show Profile
....my foodsaver. It's better than I expected. If anyone has one and wants to share advice, I would appreciate it. I don't want to make any big mistakes. Now I can get started on the spagetti sauce and bread recipes that some you have been so kind to post.

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  07:13:23 AM  Show Profile
Pre-freeze items that may squish when vacusealed. Example: I buy a large quantity of hamburger to make up meatballs, when the meatballs are cooked and ready for use I will put them on a cookie sheet and freeze them. When they are solid I will then transfer them to the bag and seal them, that way they don't squish!

I also go to costco and buy the 5lb brick of cheese, cut it into thirds and vacuseal the portions, seems to last forever!

Same with lunch meat. The other day I cooked a roast on the rotissarie with a spicy rub, cooled it, thin sliced it, and portioned it for the amount needed for lunches. Now I have lunch meat in the freezer when I need it.

So many things you can do with it, have fun!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  08:01:52 AM  Show Profile
Loved mine too I pre froze lots too as it will squash anything and any moisture willsuck into the vacume and is a mess. with fresh meat I would take a paper towel and place over end of the meat to catch any juice.

Enjoy Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  08:05:00 AM  Show Profile
Diana does the paper towel just stay in the bag? I guess I'm trying to imagine the process. I do remember reading about not sucking anything into the motor.
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  3:01:18 PM  Show Profile
Did you order it on line or go buy it in a store..I have been thinking about getting one, and this months Mother Earth News talks about all the BPA in canned veggies at the store. I am trying so hard to avoid all that. I am almost 90 percent sure I want one...

how sweet it is to love some one, how right itis to care
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  3:22:53 PM  Show Profile
I love my Foodsaver.

I usually freeze things like sauces, soups, etc. in foil containers. When the item is frozen solid, I pop it out of the container and seal it into a bag before it starts to thaw. Works wonderfully! You can even boil the bags to reheat. I've never done this, but its in the instructions that come with the machine.

If you add paper towel to absorb meat juices or other liquids, the paper towel does stay in the bag. It works fine, you can just remove it when you open the bag. Much better than the juices being sucked into the machine. It's a pain to clean up and the bag usually doesn't stay sealed, since the seal is compromised by the liquid.

Hope you enjoy your Foodsaver!
Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  4:23:08 PM  Show Profile
My son used to have big fun with marshmellows. Fill a quart jar full of them..and do the suction thing..it is amazing..then release the lid..and they go back to normal. Just fun if you get bored..haha. I agree with the freezing some things first.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  4:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love my foodsaver- It has a moisture catch tray so I don't have the problem that Diana has with hers. It just has this little tray that pops out afterwards and I clean it and put it back.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  5:35:31 PM  Show Profile
I bought mine at Costco and it is on sale right now for 129.00. Mine also has a little tray that pops out and you are supposed to wash it and pop it back in. I am really liking it so far. I just can't wait to seal up all kinds of things. I really think it will pay for itself in a short time. I like to go to Costco and buy just about everything once a month, so this will come in real handy.
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  11:39:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
i use mine to put veggies from the garden in. It works great

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic I finally have it Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page