prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  09:48:42 AM  Show Profile
my hubby and i recently bought a new crock pot. i'm so mad because i accidentally broke his old one, which was the dream crock pot!
this new one scorches, even when the setting is turned to low! i believe this happens because our old crock pot had a thicker crock dish than this new one does.
so i was wondering if any of you ladies had any suggestions to prevent this, clean it up easier, or whatever... i bought some of those crock pot liners, but they are so expensive and only come 4 to a box. i know once cold weather hits, i'll be using my crock pot extensively so those boxes won't go very far.
i tried lining the pot with aluminum foil, but the liquid still got through and scorched.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  09:53:09 AM  Show Profile
I would think that "maybe" there is something wrong with the crockpot, the heating element is bad? Call or e-mail the manufacter and ask them. I use my crockpot in the summer and fall alot, cause I can throw something in and go out to work, harvesting, butchering etc, and it will be cooked at the end of the day.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  10:09:32 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth~
I think there is something with the newer crockpots heating a lot higher than the older ones. Mine gets very hot, too. When recipes say to cook on low for 8-10 hours, that roast would be toast in my crockpot! Sorry to say that I don't have a good solution for easy clean-up, though. Soaking for a bit in soapy water usually helps me get the crud off pretty easily.
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  1:14:15 PM  Show Profile
My sister had a similar problem with her new crockpot and ended up taking it back. If the store won't refund, call the manufacturer. Good luck!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  3:00:05 PM  Show Profile
I'd also suggest trying to take it back. I've had mine now for 7 years and it's fantastic!

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  4:23:41 PM  Show Profile
Wow. I have never heard of that before.... I'd get rid of it. Try to get you money back, though. Get an old one at a thrift store! I have three.... or is it four?? One I bought for $5 at a Church yard sale.
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  5:45:32 PM  Show Profile
i think it's too late to take it back... people i know with new crock pots have this happen every time, so i figured it's nothing out of the ordinary.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  5:56:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So sorry you have had a bad experience with your crock pot. How long have you had the new one?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:43:40 AM  Show Profile
I have had similar problems. I have two crock pots. A hand me down from my mom that has the nice thick brown crock. I've even super glued the knob back on because I refuse to give it up. And I have a newer oval shaped Hamilton Beach model. The newer model does get way hotter and tends to cook faster, which defeats the purpose of a fix and forget meal because I'm worried about my stuff over cooking. But I tend to use it more often because it holds more. I usually will spray it with cooking spray and that does help with the clean up some.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  08:01:54 AM  Show Profile
hmmm... i've had it about 6 months, i think. but like toby said, i don't use it as much because i'm worried my food will scorch. i'm thinking i'll scope out the local goodwill because i think i've seen quite a few old crock pots there. now that i know what i'm looking for... thicker crock. but thank you ladies for your help!

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic crock pot trouble Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page