Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Do you like pantries or want one? Come visit mine!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Do you like pantries or want one? Come visit mine! Next Topic  

Catherine Seiberling Pond
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  3:49:42 PM  Show Profile
Greetings Farm Girls!

I posted this over at the Reader's section too, but I am a long-time fan of Mary Jane's Farm and enjoy many of her magazines and books in my collection of too much stuff. I just discovered this wonderful forum today and wanted to take the time to say hello but also if you want to read the on-going exploits of another farm girl, transplanted from New England to Kentucky in the past few years, come on over to www.InthePantry.Blogspot.com

Also, I wrote a book (the only book) on pantries a few years back: The Pantry-Its History and Modern Uses [Gibbs Smith: 2007]. If you like old vintage pantries and kitchens and their history, this book is about the design and social and domestic history of the pantry within the context of the American kitchen. Lots of beautiful color photographs and vintage images, too.

I'm offering it through my website for a special bargain price of $11.95, plus shipping (check or PayPal). Check it out at www.CatherinePond.com

All best and enjoy the fruits of summer wherever you are!

Catherine

Farm girl at heart and in practice. Food/memoir writer and historian. Check out my blog at www.InthePantry.blogspot.com

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  4:49:35 PM  Show Profile
I just went over to your web page and love it!!!
I will be heading back over to order your book.

Tammyb #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  4:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Tammy! And I will gladly sign it for you, too (or inscribe if that is your preference)
quote:
Originally posted by Tammyb

I just went over to your web page and love it!!!
I will be heading back over to order your book.

Tammyb #541

Live to leave a legacy

Farm girl at heart and in practice. Food/memoir writer and historian. Check out my blog at www.InthePantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  4:51:58 PM  Show Profile
Ohhh I love pantries!! I've always said give me a pantry, a mudroom, and a dishwasher and I'm happy with the house! I have a big one now that doubles as the laundry room and it's just great. I bet the book has lots of beautiful pics, I always love sneaking a peek in other's homes.
I've got your site book marked! ;)

Elise

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://ranchmama.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  11:25:54 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, I've just emailed you. Panty is the place where I could spend so much time in my home.
Your blog is so neat, just reading about your quilting adventures made me smile. i am sure the quilt will be superb, you have such a neat collection of fabrics.
Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Jul 08 2009 11:26:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  08:09:42 AM  Show Profile
I can't wait to get the book. The pantry is my favorite place in our 1913 house. Previous owners have tried to update the kitchen with cabinetry, counters, dishwasher, etc. but the pantry shelves and drawers are so much better in both quality and layout. And because it's a little room of it's own tucked away in back, the daily clutter of life doesn't pile up there. It's my one true little workroom.
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  10:09:08 AM  Show Profile
I am enjoying all of your comments, pantry thoughts and good wishes! Now, how do you all find the time to read each other's blogs, live your busy lives and post on Mary Jane's forums?? I think I either have ADD, a scheduling issue or both. The FarmGirl forum is fab and I wish I'd found it sooner.

All best,

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  2:58:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine, I'm glad you found the forum. Love the pantry blog. we are preparing to build a pantry in our old house. We bought a 1920's era house back in the fall, and there is a large room in back just off the kitchen. we are going to build a pantry and make the rest a workroom. I'm really excited about having a pantry, hope to order your book soon and get lots of wonderful ideas. hope you can stop by often. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  3:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Hi Catherine! Welcome!! Loved your blog. Love pantries AND chicken houses. I have both. My pantry is too small but if it was any bigger, I would put more stuff in it. I store all my canning there along with some of my sm appliances. I Pin all my Grand Champion and Reserve Grand ribbons from the county fair on the wall up by the ceiling. They are out of the way but I manage to leave the pantry door open when we have dinner guest so they get a peak at my ribbons. I also have a celler that is a whole nother subject when it comes to food storage.

I can tell from your blog that you will fit right in here with the rest of us farmgirls. Loved your stack of fabric. In fact, I recognized some of them. Can't wait to get to know you more.
Belle
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  3:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks! I am still updating that chicken house blog right now as the photo loading/placement is giving me fits! There are probably more pics since you were reading it...

I look forward to meeting all sorts of interesting, fun farm girls on this website!

All best, Catherine

quote:
Originally posted by Bellepepper

Hi Catherine! Welcome!! Loved your blog. Love pantries AND chicken houses. I have both. My pantry is too small but if it was any bigger, I would put more stuff in it. I store all my canning there along with some of my sm appliances. I Pin all my Grand Champion and Reserve Grand ribbons from the county fair on the wall up by the ceiling. They are out of the way but I manage to leave the pantry door open when we have dinner guest so they get a peak at my ribbons. I also have a celler that is a whole nother subject when it comes to food storage.

I can tell from your blog that you will fit right in here with the rest of us farmgirls. Loved your stack of fabric. In fact, I recognized some of them. Can't wait to get to know you more.
Belle

Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  4:09:04 PM  Show Profile
And congrats, bellpepper, on those ribbons!
quote:
Originally posted by Catherine Seiberling Pond

Thanks! I am still updating that chicken house blog right now as the photo loading/placement is giving me fits! There are probably more pics since you were reading it...

I look forward to meeting all sorts of interesting, fun farm girls on this website!

All best, Catherine

quote:
Originally posted by Bellepepper

Belle

Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  5:51:04 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Catherine. i loved looking at your blog, beautiful pictures. I too feel sad when I see my favorite old barns crumbling, they are such magnificent structures...I'll be adding your book to my wish list. I love pantries, had one built here a few years ago. Just the best, We had a pantry in the house I grew up in, and I loved it. The drawers with the dishtowels and napkins, all the dishes, the food, the big pot for boiiing corn, etc.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  12:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey Catherine, just ordered your book. Love the blog.
Can't wait for the book.
Tammyb
sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  1:12:11 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Tammy! I just got your order.

Your book will go out in the morning ~

All best,

Catherine
quote:
Originally posted by Tammyb

Hey Catherine, just ordered your book. Love the blog.
Can't wait for the book.
Tammyb
sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  2:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Catherine! Just looked at your site and ordered your book! I have always wanted a pantry, still don't have one and I know this is going to make me want one all the more! Can't wait to get it!
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  2:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Suzan! I'll send your book out tomorrow, also.

Best, Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:34:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Received the book, Catherine. I love it T H I S much(arms stretching way out)! :D My 1918 farmhouse didn't have a pantry(or plumbing or heat, etc.). But the new addition has a tiny pantry(and bathroms, a furnace, etc.LOL). I also shoehorned a small 'linen' pantry in one of the bathrooms. Your book is a great resource and has given me lots of ideas about how to configure my spaces. And the photos are gorgeous! Thanks!!!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:41:12 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Miss Bee ~ I had great fun writing and producing the book. In fact, it was hard to keep it to 100 pages. So much great pantry lore, nostalgic quotes, history and, of course, photographs that it was hard to narrow it all down. I will occasionally feature other pantries and quotes on my blog so I hope you'll stop by there, too, on occasion.

I'm sorry for the postal snafu and hope you'll enjoy your second copy, too.

All best,

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  07:57:57 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it a really nice book Janice? I have had it for awhile and only wish I HAD a pantry. We had a nice one at the farm when I lived at home.
Nancy Jo

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  08:03:03 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Yes, the second copy is headed in the direction of my best pal, Susan. She was the head docent of a local historic home, Locust Grove, when I first met her nearly 25 years ago. A history major who became a computer guru/professor at the community college where we both work. She also has an old farmhouse and is planning some remodeling. She'll be thrilled and surprised(antique mall lunch on Wednesday) with your book! ;)

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  08:03:43 AM  Show Profile
Woohooo! I just ordered it for myself. I feel I needed a treat this week, and yes, this is it! We have a pantry, if that's what you want to call it. I call it a dark, dingy closet complete with musty smell and late 60's early 70's era brown and gold flower power shelf paper. I HATE it. And that's why there's no food there..only cleaning supplies.

Hopefully, this book will help me make it what it should be, and probably was when they built our cottage in the 20's.

Yippee!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Catherine
Knob Region KY
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  08:17:21 AM  Show Profile
Thank you to all Farm Girls who have bought and are enjoying THE PANTRY! Just a reminder to all FARM GIRLS: With holiday season approaching, THE PANTRY-ITS HISTORY and MODERN USES [Gibbs Smith: 2007] makes a very affordable gift for girlfriends, fellow farm girls, mothers, grandmothers and anyone who loves vintage kitchens and domestic history. It also makes a great hostess gift for visiting, or a bridal shower or kitchen/house-warming present.

A limited number of signed copies still available at www.CatherinePond.com for a recessionary-busting price of $11.95 per book for a hardbound, full color book (plus $4.95 S/H). For multiple orders just email me with names/addresses (or one address and number of copies) and I can bill you directly via PayPal. My website PayPal link can only accommodate one order at a time.

This remains the only book on the history and design of pantries and be sure to get one while they last! [The publisher is not sure if they will reprint or not and if they do, they will not be available at this price.]

All best,

Catherine

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Do you like pantries or want one? Come visit mine! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page