Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  3:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Tala doesn't really like water all that much. I tried to lead her through a puddle the other day and she jumped it instead. She also shied around another and no matter what I did, I couldn't get her to walk through these silly puddles. I could see that she was getting more and more frightened of them the more I tried to coax, lunge etc around the puddles, so I decided to call it a day and leave it be for a while.

She also is less than thrilled when I give her a bath, though she does stand nicely for it.

Today after working her, it was so hot and she was sweaty so I decided to just rinse her off a bit. And she finally looked like she was enjoying the water. She even drank water from my hands then drank it from the sprayer! Amazing!

Then to top it off, I though- okay so she didn't want anything to do with the river before- lets see how she does today now that the river is much lower.

I felt thrilled when I got her within 3 feet of the river, I felt elated when she actually stepped into the water, and over the moon when she followed me up to her knees into the water!

We probably could have waded all the way across, but I had to be careful to not push things to quickly. However she did learn the joys of splashing! It was lots of fun! I can't wait until we can spend a bit more time together down by the river!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  3:30:54 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like Tala is discovering the fun of playing in the water. Being of desert origin, maybe she has an aversion to it? I'm glad you were able to coax her into the river--it shows that she has trust in you. My dog won't go into the water for anything, though I think it's mostly because he doesn't like to get his feet wet. Animals and their quirks
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  3:50:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Cindy- My dog hates to get into the water- unless I swim out and pretend to drown. Then she comes in and rescues me ;)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  4:21:18 PM  Show Profile
I had a Arab/saddlebred mare a few years back, when I finally convinced her that she would not drown getting her feet wet, she deceided that she would roll in it, and it did not matter that she was saddled and I was on her back, LOL. I had a quarter mare who would jump ALL creeks and streams, but bring her to a pond/small lake, she would jump in and swim, and loved it. Then there was "Beans", you could not get him with-in 100 yards of any form of water, even his own drinking water, he would stand back as far as possible, stretch his neck out as far as it would reach, and take little sips, baths, you would be taking your life in your hands, and I had this running quarter gelding since he was a weanling, so it wasn't something he had happen to him by a former owner, knew his dam and sire also. its funny how some act like they are part sea horse, and others will adapt all of a sudden, and others never will, and theres never a rhyme or reason.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  5:08:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is so funny, Teresa! Tala's mom is a puddle jumper as well. But I think Tala is going to become a water lover. I just hope she doesn't do what your horse did- ie roll in water under saddle!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Tala and Water Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page