Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  8:35:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Out at the barn that I am boarding Tala at, I met this great lady named Amanda. We must be about the same age. Anyway we chatted last night and tonight she let me ride her Quarter Horse Joe. It was awesome! I haven't ridden in 5 years and she said I did really great! I wanted to keep riding but I didn't want to be greedy, plus Nora was ready to go home. But I am so happy and she said I could ride again! Yay!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  10:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee:
I am so happy you got to go riding!!!! Hurray!!!! Did Nora ride, or did you ride with Nora? Why didn't you ride Tala? Is she too young? I hope you get many opportunities to ride again.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  10:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Marly- Tala is still too young to ride. She gets another year before anyone much bigger than Nora gets on her. Nora already rides her a bit. Nora didn't want to ride, though I offered. I got to trot and lope the horse around a bit and boy can I feel it this morning- but in a good way! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

peachy
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Melissa
Fennville MI
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  5:32:34 PM  Show Profile  Send peachy a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like you had a fun day riding Alee! I rode yesterday too and ponied my new calf behind me...I'm feeling alittle pain today! lol:)

Melissa
Farmgirl Sister #360

http://oldethymecountrybarn.blogspot.com/

Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  5:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's wonderful Melissa! I am surprised I am not in more discomfort actually- That horse has a BIG trot! LOL How did your calf do?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  09:31:14 AM  Show Profile
Yay Alee! Congrats of getting your Tala home! And yeah, I have the "green horse blues" too! I have a friend that has a nice old grey quarter horse named Rocky that is worth his weight in gold if you ask me. She lets me ride him when I don't want to be in total training mode. A girl has got to ride after all! The big bonus is she also rides out to meet me on him so that my little Tehya has an experienced horse next to her when we go out. Such a blessing. She will snort at something and ol' Rocky will look at her and roll his eyes! I am SO happy for you that you found your "Rocky" in Joe. I think that a reliable older horse is necessary to any training program for both you and your young horse!

P.S. I got Tehya as a two year old too and she turned six this year. She is a palomino quarter horse with some big shoes to fill as I lost my "horse of a lifetime" at 33 years just before I got her.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  1:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Lily!

Thanks- yes Joe sure is a great horse. I am very happy and still very sore! LOL My thighs will never be the same (thank goodness! They need some work!) I am excited for next year when Tala can be started under saddle. She and I are taking a lot of in-hand walks right now getting her used to things fluttering and moving about. This area is a lot different than her home ranch so fluttering leaves and waving grass is still new to her.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  4:04:15 PM  Show Profile
Alee, Congrats on getting to ride. When I read your post you sounded just like an excited little girl! That's just the way I felt when I got my "new" old horse. I'm very happy for you.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  07:51:08 AM  Show Profile
Be greedy, ride already!

Winona :-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh Winona- I am still walking funny! If I had been smart I would have just walked the horse and a little trotting, but noooo I had to trot and lope a bit! I think I trotted him for about half an hour! LOL I am so pleased though. The soreness is a good soreness- my muscles need the workout! :D

I am hoping to see Amanda again tonight. I need to make sure I grab a roll or two of vet warp since she loaned me some of hers. I love a good stable where people are kind and share.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  08:50:03 AM  Show Profile
Good for you with the in-hand walks! I remember my mare listening to all the new birds when she got here (she moved from Oregon to the California coast). Speaking of fluttering things there is a guy up my road that has a flag in the back of his truck that FLUTTERS when he drives by. YIPE!! I finally ran into him at the market and asked him if he wasn't in a hurry to stop and let my Tehya smell and play with the stupid flag so we don't climb the nearest tree when he goes by. I have waved flags all around her and run around her pen with one like an idiot,...but it doesn't compare. He said he would stop and I promised him I wouldn't let her eat it! Ahhhh the green horse blues,...gotta dust off the hiking shoes! Guess we will get in shape like you said! : ) At least now I know I am not alone!
Have fun!
Lily
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  10:10:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lily- That is so funny! I can just picture it!

Yes, Tala is still very green, but getting better. She now will stand under the horse eatting trees and graze for hours if I let her.

There is this amazing horse out there that they let free graze when no one is riding and after he grazes for a few hours he makes his way to the barn and checks out all the empty stalls until he finds one that has hay in it- but he prefers the corner stalls so he can see what is going on. So he goes out in the afternoon to graze and then comes in to sleep in the barn. It's hilarious. I hardly believed it until I witnessed the whole deal the other night.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  03:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Hey Pony power I live in Gualala.You're about the closest farmgirl I've found.I have a pretty quarter horse whose quite the brat,She was abused and has taken forever to trust me.She absolutely loves the kids though.The other day my three yr. old grabbed the lead rope and was just leading her perfectly around the paddock.We just also got a haflinger pony/horse named buttercup.She's a gem and has calmed my mare alot.She was a cart horse from the Amish,fairly common for Haflingers out here.It's great all the kids are not intimidated by her but all the tack fits both horses.
My husband had this crazy horse we finally gave to our rodeo cowboy carpenter,he trained him and sold him on.It took me years to realize he was too crazy and able to step on the kids.That I could get a different horse,one we could even ride!Now my Arena trained mare who's afraid to go out in the woods by herself has a companion and we can go out together.Now to just find the time...
Katie
Go to Top of Page

ponypower
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Lily
Caspar Ca
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  12:00:55 PM  Show Profile
Hey Katie! Yeah we are close! How nice to find someone so near! I have a dear friend that grew up in Gualala. If anymore of us pop up in this county lets start a chapter, eh?

Alee- That is the cutest story. Horses are so fun! Keep up the good work!

It is nice to have people to compare notes with on the "training road" for sure.

Lily
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Got to go Riding! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page