Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic food savers ? need help Next Topic  

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  5:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Years ago I had a seal a meal and now I know there are new models. If any one has experience with the sealed plastic bags that go in the freezer please tell which one to get.

Thanks for your advise

Sharlet

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:00:33 PM  Show Profile
"foodsaver", the pro one, it really works well, they have them at Wally world", cheaper than any where else. I love mine

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:04:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Teresa, I thought you would know, because you preserve most of your food. I am boycotting Walmart , but I'm sure I will find it somewhere else. I saw two of them I think. Is the pro one the most expensive? There was another brand, but I think the foodsaver had more sack sizes available.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:47:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You can buy them at Costco as well. I have one and I LOVE it! The only thing I need to get is that attachment for jars...

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  8:51:29 PM  Show Profile
Alee , how does the attachment work. I could see the hot strips that seal the plastic . but can't imagine how you could do anything with jars.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  9:41:20 PM  Show Profile
Sharlet, yes the pro one unfortunatly is the more expensive one, but I've had mine for I think around 10 years, and yes I use it ALOT, it also has the bigger variety on the sack sizes. My daughter researches everything to death before she buys, and the Foodsaver was the one that was top of her list.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  9:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Sharlet..the attachment sucks the air out of the jars...pretty cool. I love my foodsaver..have had it at least 8 years now.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  03:36:47 AM  Show Profile
Food Saver for sure!

I keep our on the counter and use it several times a week.

Tried using lesser known bags with it with cruddy results, so the name this tiame makes a big difference
Go to Top of Page

RubyJunes
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

June
Greenwich Ohio
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  06:11:17 AM  Show Profile
I have a Foodsaver that might be 5+ years old. It is very handy! It does preserve things well. I have been eyeing the newer model, because I don't think you need to push down on both corners until it's sealed on these...is that so? In the last few years, I have troubles pushing down until it's sealed, so it takes me an extra long time to get anything accomplished. lol

--June
Farmgirl #545
www.RubyJunes.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  06:43:06 AM  Show Profile
Well , that settles it. The Foodsaver Pro I will get. Thanks ladies!

June, I think you are right about the new model being automatic fed. Thats one of the things I remember reading on it when I was looking.

Jenny, I never dreamed it could suck air our of a jar! I had the ancient version of this and it just sealed. In fact I didn't know the new ones took the air out until yesterday.

Now I can't wait to get mine.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  07:22:54 AM  Show Profile
Nobody mentioned that you can cook in the foodsaver bags!! Alot of times I take leftovers, portion them and food saver them. You can then take the bag directly from the freezer and drop in boiling water to warm the contents. You will love your new foodsaver. Also if you have acess to a Costco, you can buy a big box of the rolls to make your own bags, it saves alot of money.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  07:28:09 AM  Show Profile
I do go to Costco, about once a month. The nearest one is about an hour and a half from me. I should be going soon. I haven't made my trip for the month of July yet. I can't wait to see what they have. The box of rolls I will definately get. I am all about saving the $$$.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  03:22:49 AM  Show Profile
The newer Foodsavers have a latch that locks down so it's hands free!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic food savers ? need help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page