Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Just when you think you can't do it...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just when you think you can't do it... Next Topic
Page: of 2

moxieblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

121 Posts

USA
121 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  09:06:09 AM  Show Profile
YAY! Congrats Heather!!! You are an inspiration!!! :D

My hubby and I are paying our debts down as well... as of this time last year we had no savings, no retirement, and were about $70,000 in debt. We've been making some lifestyle changes, sold one of the cars, started sticking to a strict budget, and the debt is FINALLY coming down and our savings is going up. We've paid off one card entirely, are almost halfway on another, and will have one more CC + whats left on the car to pay off after that. We're estimating at least 2 more years until we're debt-free, and sometimes it seems so long away! But it'll be soooooo worth it in the end.

The really scary part, the moment of truth, happened when we realized that for all our debt and for being a dual-income household, we really had nothing to show for it. It was all just frittered away, and that was both embarrassing and sobering for both of us.

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Farmgirl Sister #242
http://vintage-moxie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  12:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Yeah it stinks doesn't it. We could easily live on one income without the nonsense debt so..... no more for this farm girl. You are all an inspiration to me!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

NikkiBeaumont
True Blue Farmgirl

473 Posts

473 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  04:03:07 AM  Show Profile
Way to go, Heather! You are doing an awesome thing and I know that it is such hard work, but look at you go girl!

Farmgirl Sister #554
http://leedsalabama.blogspot.com/
http://alabamaheartofdixie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2009 :  06:03:29 AM  Show Profile
I heard on the news that the elderly are one on the largest growing groups to be getting into credit card debt. They may have a harder time getting out of it with limited incomes. I'm a big Dave Ramsey fan. Congratulations to everyone getting out of debt.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  3:00:21 PM  Show Profile
I have been searching for this thread and finally FOUND IT!! I just wanted to continue to encourage everyone who is trying to get out of debt to stick with it. On Thursday of this week I will be making the FINAL payment on DH's truck. I'm SOOOOOO excited. It has been a huge burden the last two years and there were times I wasn't sure it was going to happen. But the payoff comes THIS WEEK and I'm so excited I had to share my good news.

To any farmgirl struggling with debt, or just struggling with being "financially challenged" hang in there and keep chipping away at what you owe. It took what seemed like an eternity, but I've finally made signifigant headway and it's feels wonderful. Cash for everything from this day forward!!

A person is a success if they get up in the morning and get to bed at night and in between does what they want to do. Bob Dylan
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  4:06:49 PM  Show Profile
Heather - good for you! That is quite an accomplishment. You are an encouragement to me and lots of others. Keep up the good work!

Handmade Soap, Lotion Bars & More! http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  4:45:27 PM  Show Profile
Heather and Cheryl: We are all in this together. We're retired so there is no more money coming in. You have encouraging advice for us all to do more than tighten the belt. You're hitting this thing head on and what strong girls you are. It's tough for seemingly an endless time but wow, look at the results. Bless you and any other sisters out there in the same situation.
My grandmother and great grandmother had the same advice as MJ: "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without"

Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  5:28:59 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
What I don't understand is that my husband and I have managed to stay debt-free (mostly) and have excellent credit. I pay everything off and on time. I applied for a credit card (keep in mind I once had a gold cardbut shut it down when I felt we needed to).... and they denied us both saying we were "high-risk"! When I closed the gold card account, the guy on the phone applauded me for having such good credit and was trying to get me to stay with them. I don't get it?! Is it just THAT much
harder to get credit lately...even if you have excellent credit??

~~~~
http://nightbirdtrading.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  5:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
That is the catch 22...When you don't spend on CC's or have them, that is considered a credit risk too. SO stupid, I know!! UGGHHH!!!

We had to actually use our's because we needed tires for our truck BUT I was able to send in a double payment already...so I feel it is a little set back but isn't killing us like it used to. YEE HAW!!!! : )

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  6:56:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Heather- I think you are doing great! You are so very aware of the dangers of the CC merry-go-round and you make sure you AREN'T on it! Way to go! You rock!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Just when you think you can't do it... Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page