Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 The Story of Phil the Squirrel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic The Story of Phil the Squirrel Next Topic  

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  11:36:17 AM  Show Profile
This is just a funny, stupid story about a squirrel we rescued who was a little too appreciative:

My husband and I were walking from the garage to the house late at night when something flew past my head and fell with thud into the street. It was a baby squirrel! The poor thing's leg was broken, and he was literally rolling in pain. I felt terrible and was too mushy to let him be run over by a car or eaten up by a stray cat. I made my husband pick him up (wearing these giant leather welding gloves) and put him in an abandoned rabbit hutch that was attached to the side of our garage. I made him a little nest out of shredded paper towels and put a jar lid of water in there...fully expecting to have to bury a dead baby squirrel in the morning.

In the morning, however, the hutch was empty. I assumed a cat must've got in during the night, but a few hours later I spied a little squirrel walking along a telephone wire, one useless leg dangling behind him. My husband named him "Phil," and much to our surprise, Phil flourished and made a big oak tree in our yard his home. I often threw bread ends out to him, and over time he became quite comfortable around us...we never tried to touch him, but we could walk quite close to him, and he did not run away. One of his favorite places to sit was the window ledge to our half-bath, which was right next to our side door. When you went to the bathroom, you could see Phil's silhouette through the frosted glass pane.

Eventually we had to sell our house and move to Pennsylvania. I despised our realtor. I found out later I was not the only one who didn't like him. The realtor called me at work one day to recommend calling an exterminator; he said there was this crazy squirrel who tried to attack him every time he tried to enter the house, and if he was walking around the yard a three-legged squirrel would chase him back to his car! Phil never threatened us, but he was certainly protective of "his" house!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  12:02:15 PM  Show Profile
So funny! What happened to Phil when you moved? Did the new owners ever complain?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  12:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh! That is so funny! I have a squirrel that lives in the tree out in front of my house. He likes to come down and chat with me. I swear it's true! He kindof grumbles in his throat and will stay there as long as I stay and talk with him!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  12:45:52 PM  Show Profile
I got to raise mine. Was cutting my husband's hair under the pecan tree and thud something hit the ground, then another thud thud. 3 little pink tiny hairless things were on the ground by us. I thought at first it was a baby rat but it clicked they must be squirrels. I picked them up and tried to see where they came from but the tree is really tall and so we could not see anything. I ran in and got a little box and cotton and put them in it and put them in the crook of the tree for the mom to come back and get. We stayed inside the house but watched so no cat would get them. No luck on the mom, she must have gotten hit by a car or something so I brought them in and gave them all goats milk, and put a heating pad under the box on low. One did not make it through the night and one only another day. I don't know how any lived through that fall. But one little boy "Butch" became my little buddy. His eyes were closed for like two months. When they finally opened his favorite place was up my arm and behind my hair. When he got fur I put him in the back where all the other squirrels ran up and down the trees. I would leave the door open just in case he wanted to go out. At about six months he went up to another little squirrel and off they went. What fun to watch him grow up.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.

Edited by - Cabinprincess on Jul 20 2009 12:47:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  1:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh! They are so cute! I know they can be destructive- especially if they get in attics...but I love squirrels!
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  3:19:26 PM  Show Profile
I love the stories of the squirrels, how precious!

Years ago I found a very tiny baby squirrel next to it's dead mom under a tree. I picked the maggots off the baby and helped keep it warm. The next day we brought it to the animal hospital. I think it died soon after, not sure.
Connie

www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products that I make myself- including soaps, salves, lotion bars, lip balms, natural deodorants, body sprays, hydrosols, salt scrubs, and MUCH more!

http://site.naturemaiden.com/blog1/ (Business Blog)

http://naturemaidenbathbodyproduct.blogspot.com (Personal Blog)

Edited by - naturemaiden on Jul 20 2009 3:21:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  01:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
How adorable! We have lots of squirrels here and the little stinkers love to rob my bird feeders as do the chipmunks but my DH has a tender heart and always puts some seed on the ground for them too.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  07:27:58 AM  Show Profile
Amie, I never heard anything about Phil after we moved. The new owners of the house owe us a lot of money that they never paid, so we're not exactly on speaking terms.

Melody June, I can't believe how cute your little squirrel was! Phil was still a baby, but not THAT small!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  12:20:35 PM  Show Profile
I have a squirrel who sits up in the pine tree and throws pine cones at my German Shepherd. When the dog isn't out there he actually comes and looks in the living room window to bate the dog so the dog will come outside again!! What a hoot. He also throws the pine cones down on the metal roof of my shed to break the cones open and get the nuts out. They are definately fun to watch.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic The Story of Phil the Squirrel Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page