Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 So - have had chickens for three years, now bees
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic So - have had chickens for three years, now bees Next Topic  

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  5:30:35 PM  Show Profile
My hive has been going since spring...

The question is - what joins the family next?

I am leaning strongly towards minitaure beef cattle - the lowline sort - heritage breeds... Anyone have experience with them? Since I am a small woman I am more comfortable with the smaller beef breeds than the "full size" types...

chickens clucking, bees buzzing, flowers blooming, all is good!

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  5:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds great, Marianne- or how about goats?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  7:05:01 PM  Show Profile
I'm with Alee. Goats for sure. There are dwarf varieties. Everyone needs at least 2 goats.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  7:08:19 PM  Show Profile
Goats would be nice. I agree. What about cats!!!!!!
The Cat Lover
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  12:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
Bees sound like a fun project. Beekeeping is something I would like to try. It is on my list of thigs I want to do!

Belle

http://www.homesteaderbelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  03:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Marianne. I just saw an article in Country Woman magazine about miniature cattle. They're so cute I'd probably want to make pets out of all of them. They do seem like the perfect size for a small woman to take care of without difficulty. Do you get that magazine? Here's a link in case you're interested in checking the story out. http://www.countrywomanmagazine.com/

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  3:37:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi all!
I had forgotten to mention my two cats - Silly & Webster! I had considered goats actually, but an article on lowline cattle in Mother Earth just really caught my eye. Thank you for the link to the article in CountryWoman! Now all I have to do is convince the hubby...

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  07:49:53 AM  Show Profile
I'm on dial-up and can't open the link but what about Dexter cattle? They are pretty popular around the SW part of OR. Small farms that don't need huge cattle. One guy rents his bull out for $15 for a while. They have a co-op for the bull.

Winona ;-)

To read funny stories about my cooking 'skills', please visit http://lostadventuresincooking.blogspot.com/

For uber-opinionated, pleasurable horse related reading, please visit http://horseinfoperson.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Adrienne Card
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Adrienne
Billerica MA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  1:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Adrienne Card an AOL message
I worked the the Kerry breed of cattle once, and it was a very good experience. They were very petite in height, and mild mannered. What boggled my mind was after years of dealing with Holsteins and Jerseys, watching the cow deliver in a field, followed by the afterbirth, in record time without any problems. The only downsides that I found with working with this particular breed were 1) They still had some of the wilder instincts, and did not warm up to human contact the way other breeds do, definitely had an independent streak, and 2) They grazed, and the calves would hide in the fields so well that we were often unable to rotate on a proper schedule because the calves would hide for days at a time while the cows moved without issue - and this was not a big operation, it was small and in the northeast, so one would think there wasn't a large amount of space to hide. Good luck!

All the really good ideas I ever had came to me while I was milking a cow. ~Grant Wood
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  03:49:51 AM  Show Profile
My girlfriend is doing grass fed beef.She got these beautiful,small,belted galloways.They are wonderful temperment.I helped her haul the baby bull "Julius" he's so beautiful,so small and so calm.The whole herd is calm because of him.She's been breeding to angus and a galloway heifers and is getting good crosses that are mostly small like the bull.The idea is the old breeds fatten better on just grass.The new breeds have a hard time without corn.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  04:21:40 AM  Show Profile
Can anyone recommend a good book on raising grass fed small breed cattle? I have 5 acres bordering a river, with at least 2 acres of pasture....

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic So - have had chickens for three years, now bees Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page