Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Question on planting a second crop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Question on planting a second crop Next Topic  

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  6:41:37 PM  Show Profile
I'm never too proud to come asking yet ANOTHER question! Thank you all for being there when I need you!

Anyway, my onions, garlic and potatoes are nearly done and I am thinking of something that I can plant now that will grow quickly and while it's still really hot. PLEASE don't say zucchini, I am already saying "uncle" with that!

Also, my green beans are done. Would I have time to replant another crop?

Thanks ever so much!! Cindy

If life gives you scraps, make quilts!

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  6:55:56 PM  Show Profile
I was wondering that too--just picked a bunch of onions, and have a bare spot. . .
Go to Top of Page

Peacebird
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Marianne
Afton Va
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  7:00:02 PM  Show Profile
If you have water, and you don't expect freezes til after september then you can definitely get another crop of green beans in. You know you probably also have time to get some more potatoes in, especially if you harvest them as "new" potatoes!
I'm planning to start potatoes, rutabagas, turnips, beets, kale, mustard, spinach, brocolli and cabbage in early august. And to put some greenhouse cukes& tomatos, and groundcherries in the greenhouse.

chickens clucking, bees buzzing, flowers blooming, all is good!
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  10:27:23 PM  Show Profile
The garlic and onions would be good to start now and if not ready before frost hits, you can winter them over with mulch and they will be ready earlier next year. Same for carrots.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  06:38:36 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for reminding me about planting potatoes. Going to go out and plant some of the small ones this morning. Going to plant some green onions too. My Daddy used to say, Plant turnips on the 25th of July and you'll have turnips wet or dry. Too hot to plant lettuce here. Seeds won't germinate when the temps are 100 degrees. Will have to wait until Sept.

Right now I have to go out and water, water, water just to keep alive what I already have growing.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  10:07:50 AM  Show Profile
I was goint to plant some more corn but think I will just get ready to plant my fall stuff soon. I like that, Belle, about the turnips. Never heard that before. I'll plant my greens on July 25 this year and see what happens. I love my greens. Last year collards did great and turnip greens diid so so but something really liked the mustard way more than I did and ate it all.

Good luck with all your new crops.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  4:15:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks guys, now I just need to get out there and get something done. Too bad it's 100 outside, makes it hard to get anything done!
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  10:22:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm just getting ready to plant another crop of peas. They tend to be more cold hardy than other plants, like corn and tomoatoes so if it does get a little chilly otwards the end of the season, they'll still survive. Broccoli would be good too.
And of course, there is always carrots and lettuce- two crops that grow fairly quickly and also will tolerate cooler days.

You can visit my blog at www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Question on planting a second crop Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page