KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  9:59:23 PM  Show Profile
The other night I had this amazing dream about roses.I was walking on a path strewn with inches of roses petals and huge old fashioned rose bushes were mounded on both sides.Deep rich colors,burgundys,reds,dark pinks,rich golds.The fragrance in the dream was amazing.
I awoke and realized this must mean something...Now I'm no rookie to roses.I planted three thousand roses pregnant w/ my first daughter(middle name Rose).Started a hardy landscape rose business growing 1200 most years,from cuttings.But when we bought this bare acreage three and a half years ago,pregnant w/ a baby at 45.I was still maintaining a large 10 acre garden as a job.Then at 9 months pregnant they talked me into starting another huge garden project that was stalled out.We then went into building the cabin,etc,etc,.
Anyway did'nt think I'd want to fence more than just for veggies and fruit trees.
I slept on the rose idea for awhile.Then thought maybe more at work!Maybe this is what my dream was all about.Then I started picking up my rose books,then the web sites started.By the way Vintage gardens hands down has the best old roses.vintageroses.com
The large rose companies have a rose virus(mosaic virus) that changes the lifespan of the rose to about ten years,instead of one hundred years.Don't buy these roses.You can't believe how much pleasure you get from growing a cutting of one of the old roses growing around your town,or in the graveyard.They are easy and low maintenance.
Anyway I have been recreating my home garden to include about 23 new roses.Alot of them ramblers 12-15' span.Alot of them roses that will mature to be 8-12',some just 3x5'.Anyway the bug bite me a tonite I'm exhausted after a whole week working long days into the night in the garden,before and after working long days gardening for my job.This is just the start(plus there's about the same amount new at work),this fall there will be lot's of cuttings from roses I know about around the area.
Happy Growing,Katie

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  06:34:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Katie, I almost missed you post. I love,love roses. Yep, I agree with the short life span from the large company growere. I don't buy from them either. We a beautiful place here in Texas called the Antique Rose Emporuim and they have two locations in Texas. The sell antique roses only and have the most beautiful places with the old building and arbors. Tnat's were I bought my roses, the ones that last. We also got some cuttings out in pastures by old home places. Graaveyards are a graat place to get cuttings. My husband and I love to stop at little graveyards on country roads and just read the headstones. Lots of history there. Your place sounds beautiful. Post a picture if you can, I would love to see the roses.
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  08:52:23 AM  Show Profile
I love roses, but the old-fashioned kind are the best. I have my great grandmother's rose bush and it is a sight to see when it's all bloomed out. Unfortunately the goats got out not to long ago and ate all the buds and blooms off of it! So it was a short blooming season this year! 3000 roses? Lord help! I would say you are a rose planting diva!!

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  12:39:53 PM  Show Profile
Dear Rose Diva (LOL), What an amazing feat! Holy cow! I don't think I've ever talked to anyone with so much experience and knowledge of roses before. I never knew about the short lived versus the long lived ones at the different companies. I have never been very successful here with roses so, I'd like to draw on your expertise. I love roses, especially the fragrant old fashioned ones, but I'm in zone 4 and I tried growing the ones for zone 5 thinking if I mulched them well, they'd make it. They all did well the summer I planted them, languished in the second summer and then died before the next summer. Except one. I still have a Zephrine Droughin (sp?), in it's 4th summer, that practically dies back to the ground every winter and never grows taller than knee high. I even put a cage around that one and filled it with leaves to try to protect the canes through the winter, with no more success than before. The wild yellow and wild pink roses go like gangbusters here and take over whatever area they are in. They are indestructible but not very fragrant. I have resorted to fragrant peonies as a substitute, but would still love to have fragrant roses. Any suggestions?

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  7:40:10 PM  Show Profile
Lisa I'm so sorry but I don't know about which roses would work in your zone,climate.I do know own root roses ,like your Zephrine Droughin probably is, will survive when other roses fail.I think you could pose your questions to the real experts at either Vintage Gardens or or Antique Rose emporium.I really like this company as well but didn't find them as willing to help me on the phone.Maybe thier web-site is more helpful.Vintage gardens is helpful by email,thier website is wonderful.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:58:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Katie. I'll check those two out.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  6:20:29 PM  Show Profile
I was thinking more about how you all might be intimidated by a big rose bush.Just to let you know they are quite easy to move,even large old ones dig out easily.So if your not sure where to put it,don't worry you can change your mind.You can move them when they are dormant or when they are going dormant.But don't move them when they are putting on new growth and the canes are soft and flexible.
Just a suggestion, Katie
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Rose Dreams Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page