JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  11:15:30 AM  Show Profile
I really want to try canning spaghetti / pizza sauce this summer once tomatoes start coming in, but my ceramic-top range makes that pretty much impossible. If I use a recipe designed for canning, but instead of sealing them putting them in the freezer, do you all think that would work? Anyone save food this way?

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  12:05:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jessie Mae,

Do you mean freezing canning jars? I'm really not sure about that. For sure, you would have to leave more head space for expansion while freezing. I think, I would be concerned that the jars might crack.

My method is to make the sauce, then I freeze it in meal sized foil containers. When it's completely frozen, I pop the frozen block out of the foil and seal it in a Foodsaver bag. Works wonderfully and can be frozen for at least a couple of years in the Foodsaver bags.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  12:54:18 PM  Show Profile
I do basicly the same thing as Joyce, but, I also can my sauces.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  2:50:46 PM  Show Profile
Hey Jessie Mae,
You can make any spaghetti sauce in any quantity and freeze it. No processing necessary. But...have you contacted your local extension service through the university. They sometimes have canners and space in commercial kitchens available for canning it you want to put it up that way. You would need to use a pressure canner
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  7:36:07 PM  Show Profile
I would only put the quilted jars in the freezer, not the regualr jars - I tried to freeze several quarts of homemade chicken stock once in regular quart size mason jars and all the jars burst/cracked.
Do you have a pressure canner? I have a ceramic top stove (unfortunately no gas for appliances here) & since it is just so hard to get a water bath canner to a rolling boil, I pretty much pressure can everything.

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  8:02:25 PM  Show Profile
Michelle, that's good info...being so close to MSU, we have an ag extension right in the courthouse. I'll give them a call.

Jennifer, I'm confused. I thought you couldn't use a pressure canner on a ceramic cooktop because they don't get hot enough. Am I wrong?

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9374 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9374 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  8:32:21 PM  Show Profile
Jessie,
you can make your sauce and freeze it in can/freeze jars. They are canning jars that can also be put in the freezer. I don't put any tomato type sauce or anything in foil as the acid in the tomato leeches out the aluminum in to the food. You don't have to use a pressure canner when doing tomatoes because of their acidity. Low acid foods have to be done in a pressure canner. If you go to Walmart you should be able to find a Ball Blue Book. Lots of great information and it will tell how to can, freeze and dehydrate safely.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Freezing "Canned" Foods Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page