Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Using Paraffin Wax to Seal Jams??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Using Paraffin Wax to Seal Jams?? Next Topic  

mom2my2boyz
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Sarah
MN
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  05:03:42 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone still do it this way?? I have an amazing recipe (it's an orage-peach marmalade, if this info makes any difference in storage) that was handed down to me from my great-Grandma and it uses paraffin wax to seal the jars instead of a hot-water bath. Any insight or ideas?? I did a couple batches and they seem to be ok, but I'm wondering if I should have hot-water bathed them instead. I'm gonna cry if I end up losing those preserves! Can anyone help??

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  05:30:22 AM  Show Profile
My mom taught me how to make all my jams and jellies. Some she did with the wax and some with the water bath. When I asked why we didn't just do them all one way or the other she said that was how her mom had just taught her and unlike me, she never asked why. LOL She said if it ain't broke don't fix it. So I, like her still do it both ways and have never lost a jam with wax on it. I actually like the wax better because it is proof you made it yourself.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1690 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1690 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:22:44 AM  Show Profile
I,ve used the wax before and works just fine. I also use the hot water bath. Just depends on the mood I'm in.
When I ws growing up my nieghbor alsomade a bunch of concord grape jams and jellies and always use the wax.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  09:52:44 AM  Show Profile
I don't mean to butt in, but how do you seal with the paraffin? I have been thinking about doing this for awhile and would like to try it :)

Thanks girls!

Sarah, that recipe does sound amazing :) How wonderful that it is an heirloom recipe from your Great-Grandma :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Calicogirl on Jul 16 2009 12:24:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  10:09:18 AM  Show Profile
I inherited my mom's enamel double boiler. You can find them on ebay all the time. You can put a Clean small metal coffee can in a pan of water and melt it that way also. After you make your jelly you just pour some wax into the jar, about 1/4 inch and let it get cold and hard. Then pop any air bubbles and add a little more in and twirl the jar around just to make sure it is sealed completely. Then just cover with a lid. We were poor growing up so we covered it with fabric and a rubber band. It made it look cuter anyway and now it's popular. LOL
Smiles, Melody June

PS I just the double boiler just for wax so I just let it get hard and put the whole thing away till it need it again then just add more wax and start over. The lid on it keep the wax clean. Same with the can just cover it and use it again the next time.

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  11:26:18 AM  Show Profile
I have 2 jars of peach preserves sitting on my pantry shelf right now with wax to seal them. Given to me by a friend. My mom use to always do it this way.

Had gone to an extension office canning class and they would say no way. You have to hot water bath it and seal properly. I guess with many people just starting with the whole canning and preserving thing they have to teach them the latest improved ways. And can't take any chance that something might go wrong with the food and might not be noticed till after someone gets sick.

But those who have been doing this forever and take all the necessary precautions, I really think it is up to the individual.

When I get those peach preserves out, I will check to make sure the it still seal and check for mold. But I'm going to eat them.
Go to Top of Page

mom2my2boyz
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Sarah
MN
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  2:37:56 PM  Show Profile
Wow! What a great response! Thanks, Girls!!! I KNEW this would be the place to go for info on sealing w/ paraffin wax! Also, I put up some Rhubarb Conserve today (using the wax). Didn't know I could use it on jellies, though - good to know. Thanks so much! I love this place and all you girls! You're the best!
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  8:22:52 PM  Show Profile
I used wax once and it was some much more trouble than just sealing with a lid in the open bath. I trust the open bath to seal better for a longer period.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  05:39:53 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Melody June :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  10:02:18 AM  Show Profile
My mom didn't do much jam or jelly making (or much kitchen stuff at all) but what she did she sealed with wax. I much prefer 2 part lids (MUCH more reliable) Any recipe that calls for sealing with wax can be water bath canned instead with no change.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  11:09:43 AM  Show Profile
I remember Granny sealing jelly with wax. I think my mom used hot water bath, though.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9374 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9374 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  8:23:17 PM  Show Profile
My mom always did her jams and jellies this way. Never saw her use the water bath method. She just stored them sealed with the wax. They were delicious and none of them ever went bad or anything.
She made the BEST blackberry jam and I have never found any store bought or homemade to match it.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9374 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9374 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  8:24:45 PM  Show Profile
one more note. you do have to make sure and sterilize your jars if you are using the wax sealing method.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  03:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I tried wax one year on my jam and well I lost a couple jars I guess I didn't get completely sealed. I also wasn't too thrilled when the paraffin chips got into the jam that was sealed and eating bread and jam and get a piece of wax to go with it just isn't so wonderful. I went back to lids and rings after that and water bath everything. I do love the sound of "ping" when the jars seal :)

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Using Paraffin Wax to Seal Jams?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page