Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Does anyone use a Percolator to make their coffee?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Does anyone use a Percolator to make their coffee? Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  11:28:30 AM  Show Profile
So, I'm at my mom's, and I notice that she has eliminated her shiny red Mr. Coffee--she told me she "just hates it!", and decided she'd rather dig up the stainless steel percolator someone bought her for a wedding gift (ahem, 37 years ago)...And I absolutely love it-it makes a nice cup of coffee, and takes up NO space. Easy to clean, easy to set up. See, I have the smallest kitchen known to man, and I'm trying to get things OFF the countertop. I thought about the Black & Decker under the counter pot, but read many, many terrible reviews so I gave up. So, what about a percolator?

Does anyone use one? Can you tell me what you like about them/don't like about them? We usually drink coffee only on the weekends because I get some at work and so does Jus (they freshly grind theirs...bah!), so it makes sense to have something on a smaller scale..but it still functions for company, right?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  12:05:33 PM  Show Profile
I had a percolator many many moons ago, then when coffee makers came out, it was just easier. I don't know if they even make them anymore? I don't remember a differance in taste from one to the other, but I make really strong coffee, so maybe that is why, lol.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  12:23:13 PM  Show Profile
They do, Teresa...but they're REALLY expensive!!! The ones I've seen are at Kohl's for $99.00 (a Farberware one). My mom also has one that she bought that goes on the stove (a glass one) because of some crazy recipe for coffee that someone's mil in Wisconsin made (in 1972)...I don't know, had an egg in it or something, and you could only use this glass percolator for the burner. So she ran out and bought one and never made the coffee...so it's still in the basement :)

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  12:53:13 PM  Show Profile
I got one in a box of miscellaneous at an auction for $1.00 (the whole box) and a couple of weeks ago when my drip coffee carafe was in the dishwasher which was half way through the cycle, I decided to use the percolater.

I used the same grind of coffee that I use for my drip coffeemaker, (because that's what I had) and it came out fine. I think if you have a choice you could grind it a little coarser. I actually think I like the flavor a little bit better, but maybe that's just in my mind. The only thing about it is that because it is an older appliance, it doesn't turn itself off after a period of time like my other one does, so I have to be careful to remember to turn it off when I've had enough coffee.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  1:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Brenda...that's what my mother said. She just has to remember to unplug it. If I take the one that you can use on a burner, it shouldn't be too hard to remember, and I guess it would work the same way.

Good job on the auction box :)

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  1:16:24 PM  Show Profile
The burner ones are tricky as to get the brew right you really don't want to boil the water. The electric pots are great I loved my Corning Ware electric pot The cord was lost in a move and I never could get a replacement. When I had mine I had a timer for turn on and off so I could have coffee when I first got up and it would turn itseld off too.

I would like to find another one some day.

When I am in a hurry now I use a French Coffee Press I like it too.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  1:21:24 PM  Show Profile
LOL!!! I didn't even realize right away that you meant a percolator that plugs in. I thought you meant one that goes on top of the stove. I use a metal coffee pot when I go camping, stick it right in the coals, makes the best coffee ever. I don't think they are very expensive (I know mine wasn't). You can usually get them in the camping section of most stores.

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  1:26:31 PM  Show Profile
I had read that, Diana....I'm glad to hear such good reviews of them, though, both old and new. I'm thinking that it might just be a good idea to get the one over at Kohl's on a good sale day. It's equal to the coffee pot in cost, and like I said, just doesn't take up as much space!

Thanks, Sarah...will be getting one for camping, too, as we were just given a backpack and frame for our little one! Off we go!

Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  1:35:35 PM  Show Profile
I don't use a percolator anymore because it makes the coffee too bitter. Coffee goes up the tube and back down through the grounds again and again. To much bitterness for me!

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

country lawyer
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

1022 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  3:52:50 PM  Show Profile
I love percolator coffee, but I like do my coffee strong. I still have an old one I pull out every now and again. I can't remember why I don't use it every day!
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  7:13:21 PM  Show Profile
i really like my stainless steel insulated french press. works great for camping as you just have to boil water. have heard lots of good things about percolated coffee.

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  9:17:50 PM  Show Profile
I use a percolator (electric) all the time. I got it at Sears last year. I think it was about $40.00 or $50.00. I like it because it gets the water hot enough to make real good coffee. I also have a stainless steel one that I use on the stove. They both make the coffee about the same. The ss one I let it start to perk then turn it down and perk for 5 minutes ( I time it).Then move it off of the burner.
Enjoy your coffee.

Elinor
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  10:14:13 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if this is true or not but I read an article a while back(I don't even remember where) that the oils and acids in french press and unfiltered percolated coffee isn't all that good for you. I know my parents used one forever but I really liked the dripped coffee better. Has anyone else ever heard anything about that? My grandmother would always put a paper towel in the percolator basket like a coffee filter before she put in the coffee.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  12:07:08 AM  Show Profile
my grandma always used one!!I loved looking at the glass thingy on top to see the coffee "perculate" lol. mom also had one for years, till it broke I guess. Then we had the coffee makers.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  04:26:42 AM  Show Profile
I have been wondering about this myself....I think I'll check out yardsales and get one cheap to see if I like it or not

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  05:35:50 AM  Show Profile
That occurred to me last night, too, Melanie, to check at yard sales. I think, though, at this point, I'm pretty determined to do it--I do like my coffee on the strong side, but my mom's tasted just like it did in the regular pot (just right :))

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  05:38:33 AM  Show Profile
I love Percolated Coffee! I think the flavor is really good. We rarely use our coffee pot because I am married to a coffee snob who roasts his own coffee and has an espresso machine :) We occasionally sit by a fire outside and percolate some coffee (and have some pie too!). I would have to say that percolated is my favorite way of having coffee along with using a French press :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  7:07:54 PM  Show Profile
I love my percolator! I think my fiance bought it at a sporting goods store. (Sportsman's Warehouse)

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  1:23:31 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to say that the electric percolator stops perking after a few minutes -- I guess it must lower the temperature or something? - so it never seems too bitter.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

aunt boby
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

toby
polo illinois
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  1:39:49 PM  Show Profile
I bought my first percolator from my bf's mothers garage sale and it died after about six months but that was long enough to be hooked. So I broke down and bought a Cuisinart percolator two years ago and I love it. It is easy to clean and does not take up much counter space. I also hope I am being a little greener by not buying coffee filters anymore.

POOR IS THE MAN WHO CANNOT ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE- anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  2:03:39 PM  Show Profile
I do use our percolator from time to time. I prefer the percolator, my DH does not.
We compromise.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  2:07:45 PM  Show Profile
We love our percolator. Been using this one for several years now. Do not own a Mr. Coffee. Makes the best cup of coffee, but we also roast and grind our own beans. We really like our coffee.
Tammyb
Sisterchick #541

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3317 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3317 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  4:38:50 PM  Show Profile
Jonni...this morning at a rummage sale (a coffee house was going under) I picked up a glass 1950 retro coffee percolator for $3.00!

I cleaned it up with vinegar (what else) and proceeded to make the best coffee I have ever made...and I don't make coffee I go to the gas station and get it I actually pulled up a chair and watched it worked (sad-I know)...I was going to give it to a girlfriend of mine who has been looking for a glass one for quite sometime...but maybe I'll keep it!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  11:16:34 PM  Show Profile
Percolators are all I grew up with. When I think of them it reminds me of being at home, listening to my dad get up to go to work, and starting the "coffee pot". You could it start to perc and then get that wonderful aroma of coffee. I'm going to try and find one!

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
[/size=1]
Go to Top of Page

Tanna
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Tanna
Fort Worth TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2009 :  07:06:51 AM  Show Profile
Jonni,

I have seen several percolators at a local antique mall recently. They were all inexpensive. Would you like me to price some for you? Maybe take a couple of pictues? I'd be happy to pick one up and ship it to you if there is one in your price range. Some were very cute too. I almost bought one but we have a french press and a small kitchen and not enough room for both.

Let me know. I can go to the antique mall today.

Tanna
Go to Top of Page

palmettogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

571 Posts

sue
camden south carolina
USA
571 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  05:37:40 AM  Show Profile
hi everyone! i've been so busy building the new house and living like a gypsy with various relatives till it's done....anyway!!....i bought a percolator years ago at a garage sale for $1.00...the thing lasted 7 years! it did make the best coffee and what i liked most about it was that it was good and HOT! (i was living in new jersey at the time with those winter mornings.) we then "moved on" to the drip coffee makers, (mostly cause that's what we received for christmas gifts, etc.) now days we use the french press......i have not heard anything about the oil causing problems, but it doesn't sound that unbelieveable to me. i do like french roast/very strong coffee though. have a great day!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Does anyone use a Percolator to make their coffee? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page