Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Does anyone use a Percolator to make their coffee?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Does anyone use a Percolator to make their coffee? Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  07:07:14 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to hear this!!! Melody, what a find! And I think it's super cute that you pulled up a chair to see the "magic"! I probably would have done the same (and probably will!!!). I know that I am convinced...now just to get one!

Tanna, thanks for the offer...my mom has a glass one, and I'm going to give that a shot first. If it doesn't work out, I might just take you up on it! That way, I can "master" the brew before I step it up a notch :)

I love Kay's memory...that's what coffee does for me, too..takes me back to childhood each and every time. Thanks for that!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  2:49:59 PM  Show Profile
wow, a whole thread devoted to percolators! only at maryjane's chatroom.... ha ha! i use my percolator for when company comes. i have a very small 4 cup coffee pot i've had forever because i only drink a small cup of coffee in the morning and maybe one in the afternoon, while my husband rarely drinks coffee at all. so i have a 9 cup percolator for company, especially my parents, who drink more coffee than i do. it is a stove top one, but now my interest is peaked about maybe looking for an electric one at the antique/thrift stores. (i bought the stove-top one for $6 at my favorite flea market!)

but, i'm also looking for another coffee 'maker'... my neighbor has one that is even easier to use. it has the pot part of it, but on the top is the filter where you put your grounds, like a percolator. but all you do is pour boiling water into it and it filters down without having to percolate it. it's ready so fast and the coffee is as good as the percolator, since it is made of the same materials. if anyone knows what this contraption is called, let me know. i havn't found one yet, but i figure it is only a matter of time before i do...

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  4:47:46 PM  Show Profile
yes indeed, only at MJF can we discuss coffee percolators!!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2009 :  5:01:09 PM  Show Profile
I have used every form for making coffee. The percolator still reminds me of my childhood too. I remember going to my grandmothers and everyone scrunched up in the breakfast nook with the silver percolator singing its song and the aroma of coffee filling her old country kitchen. She sat on the end and brought out the pies and poured coffee for everyone. What sweet memories. We now use a Cuisinart with a thermal carafe that does not heat from the bottom and it works great. I have a percolator, but I loaned it to my friend and she loves it so much I have just left it there. We use whole beans and grind them before each pot. I am very particular about my coffee.

Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  08:59:24 AM  Show Profile
peapicker, your memory makes my mouth water... pie with fresh coffee. i especially love leftover pumpkin and apple pie after thanksgiving for breakfast with coffee. it's my favorite! actually, last year my dad made a new tradition - we make the pies the day before thanksgiving and set them out as decoration. but my dad really wanted some thanksgiving morning, so now we have the pie for breakfast with coffee thanksgiving morning... it's lovely. i think this cool weather i'm having today is making me think of fall... it's only supposed to be 74 today! perfect weather to go weed...

"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy."
-Guillaume Apollinaire
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  2:17:24 PM  Show Profile
We use a little white "percolator" to reheat coffee. It doesn't have it's innards. BUT, we have one of the old blue pots for camping. A big one and a small one. The big 12 cup coffee maker we have we got for 5$ and it's been great but the warmer isn't working anymore. So we make up a big pot and then reheat in the white enamel "coffee pot" on our stove. I like it better that way anyway. I too have fond memories of smelling coffee at about 5:30am when my dad was getting ready for work. I loved that kerplop-swish sound too!!! We sometimes grind our own beans as well. We used to have a hand grinder but it was mis-placed in a move... A very nice one from Lehman's. Hmmmmm I wonder where that's gotten too?
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  09:35:52 AM  Show Profile
i'm so excited, i finally found the old drip coffee maker i was looking for at a flea market... i can't wait to try it out!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  10:09:21 AM  Show Profile
We just love our antique stove top percolator! My hubby and I spend some quality time in the mornings on the weekend sitting on the porch sipping fresh brewed coffee discussing the next project and watching chicken TV. Besides the full flavor it's the romance that make's us happy with our percolator.

I've started a small collection of old stove top models this last year. These aren't just the "camp" stove type but pedestal models. I use every single one for different occasions and how many I'm serving. We love to hunt auctions, tag sales, flea markets, etsy and ebay for them. If any one's interested I'll post a pictue.

Heather

P.S. Any one want a slightly used MrCoffee? He's in the garage sale pile.

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  12:04:06 PM  Show Profile
Heather, although we use the coffee cup drippers or a french press for our coffee, my hubby and I also spend quality time on the porch in the mornings or afternoons, discussing the next project or what-have-you, and watching "chicken tv". I love it... I will start calling it that. We work opposite schedules and so sometimes our coffee time is all we have. We love it. By the way, my hubby was born in Longmont and has a special place in his heart for it.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  08:14:51 AM  Show Profile
so i've been using my new stove-top drip coffee pot... and have noticed this coffee has a different flavor than plug in coffee pots.

and i'm wondering if it's just all in my mind? do i just expect it to taste different and better? or is it really caused by the different materials the posts are made of? does that aluminum/tin (i'm not sure what stove top pots are made of) contribute to that wonderful taste compared to glass pots? my DH says it reminds him of making coffee when you're camping...

either way, i swear it tastes better...

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  3:38:37 PM  Show Profile
I don't think the taste difference comes from the pot its self but how many times the water circulates through the grounds. With a drip coffee maker it's one time through and your done. I think the taste is much better in a percolator!

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2009 :  3:55:07 PM  Show Profile
Funny, my mom still uses hers, like for special occasions ,....when she expects lots of company with folks who drink coffee.

It's around the same age....still perks great!

Sad how stuff these days can't last anywhere near as long.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Does anyone use a Percolator to make their coffee? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page