Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Anyone make jam/jelly like the pectin box says?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone make jam/jelly like the pectin box says? Next Topic  

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  09:13:05 AM  Show Profile
The first year I made blackberry jam, I ACTUALLY made blackberry hockeypucks. I got the recipe from one of these "pick your own berries" sites on the web, and they stressed how EASY making jam was...

The year after that, I was too chicken to try it.

But the THIRD year, I bought a box of pectin, used the recipe as written, winged it, and guess what? It turned out perfectly, and the most foodie of foodies in my family said my jam was the best she'd ever had.

Last summer I was pregnant and just had no energy, and thankfully, our wild brambles didn't do well, either.

This year, I think I'm just going to do the same thing--the recipe on the pectin box. Does anyone else do this, or is it farmgirl blasphemy?

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  09:17:50 AM  Show Profile
I use the box recipe all the time. It works great.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  09:19:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks...glad to hear it. I often "over process" everything in my mind and want to do things the most perfect way, but as Gram always said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MissDotty
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Anna
Coralville IA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  09:23:55 AM  Show Profile
The recipe on the box is designed for the pectin *in* the box. I think it takes a bit of experience to make pectin free jams, as well as a willingness to fail several times while looking for recipes that will work with your fruit and your techniques. I stick to the box. It works.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  09:24:37 AM  Show Profile
I have no jam/jelly recipes other than what's on the back of the box. I figure they're the best judges of how much fruit etc. works just right with their pectin.

And my favorite whole wheat bread recipe is the one on the Fleischman's yeast packet!
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  09:25:01 AM  Show Profile
I like the sure-jell recipies the best. My husband says it taste's just like the jam his grandma used to make. Plus, they have great recipies for lower sugar and no sugar jams.

Farmgirl # 639
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:35:35 AM  Show Profile
I also mostly always use the recipe that comes in the certo or sure jel box!
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  11:04:39 AM  Show Profile
I used Sure-Jel (mostly cause that's the one I'd heard of...) Glad to know I'm in good company...sometimes, simple is best!

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  11:23:23 AM  Show Profile
I most usually use the recipe on the box...unless of course, I am making herb or flower type jellies.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  11:44:57 AM  Show Profile
Most of the time I use the recipes on the box or website (for the pectin). I like Sure-jell the best and have had the most success with it:)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  11:56:19 AM  Show Profile
This year was the first year I tried the pectin. Previously I did it the old way without added pectin. While I like the taste of the old way better it was sure a WHOLE lot easier to use the pectin. I used to have to boil my jams for hours to get them to the right temperature. One year I didn't pay attention and made some cherry cement! LOL

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1690 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1690 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  12:53:06 PM  Show Profile
I hardly use pectin. I just use some favorite recipes taht are the old fashioned way. Boil until thickness is desired. I do use one blueberry jam that needs the extra pectin. Some fruits naturally have enough pectin, and then some you need to add the pectin.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1690 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1690 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  12:54:26 PM  Show Profile
I hardly use pectin. I just use some favorite recipes taht are the old fashioned way. Boil until thickness is desired. I do use one blueberry jam that needs the extra pectin. Some fruits naturally have enough pectin, and then some you need to add the pectin.
Laurie

Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1690 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1690 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  12:55:37 PM  Show Profile
Laurie

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  3:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I don't use pectin - blueberries have plenty, and so I boil for all of 50 minutes and I have the perfect jam. I did struggle with marmalade, I had to try a few times before I got the right temperature & thickness. I used pectin twice, and didn't care much for the result either time (one was a freezer jam, not sure how that was supposed to work but a friend and I tried it together so we had two sets of eyes to be sure we did it right and... mess.)
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  07:57:56 AM  Show Profile
If it ain't broke, don't try and fix it. I use the pectin box recipes all the time and my jam is well loved by lots of folks, including me -smile-.
I use pectin because I have too much canning to do to spend time in front of the stove working on one thing. Other folks don't use pectin and that's okay as well; it's a personal choice.

Sandra @ Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  8:46:16 PM  Show Profile
I use Pomona Pectin and it works GREAT! (Following along with the recipes in the box)
A friend of mine though has done blueberry without pectin since, like Lynn said, they have plenty of their own. I've personally never tried it though.

You can visit my blog at www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  9:59:59 PM  Show Profile
I usually just follow the recipe on the box of pectin - perfect results every time. I have made jam the old fashioned way without but it's so much quicker and easier with.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2009 :  2:55:13 PM  Show Profile
I use the pectin box recipes most of the time but I do have a favorite apricot jam recipe from "the Fancy Pantry" that does not use pectin. It has never failed!!! Hope I'm not jinxing myself as I am making it tomorrow. This is a terrific preserving book with really quirky recipes in it
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Anyone make jam/jelly like the pectin box says? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page