quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  8:42:10 PM  Show Profile
What do you all use to season your cast iron pans? While searching on the internet I found a bunch of conflicting information. Some sites said do not use cooking oils, only lard. Others said to use cooking oils....sligtly confusing!
I currently use a very small amount of olive oil after each use but I think I need to use something else. I sometimes have issues with sticking and seasoned cast iron should not stick.
Any help is appreciated.

You can visit my blog at www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  8:47:05 PM  Show Profile
Heather it could be how you are cleaning it. If you scrub it hard some of the seasoning will come off. I know some people say not to use soap, but I do. I just don't submerge my pans in the water for more than a few seconds and I don't scrub any harder than I need to. I use olive oil for almost everything. However I do think lard stays on better.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  9:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Olive oil always is a bit sticky for me, so I always use an oil that is solid at room temp. Like coconut oil or palm oil. Or even Crisco. Lard is great too.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  10:11:04 PM  Show Profile
I use lard usually...Mostly since I never have crisco on hand...it works great too. I do use a little soap to wash mine..but don't scrub hard and I don't submerge for long. I just grease the inside when I am done drying the pan really well..on the stove to get it good and dry.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  05:22:43 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I reserve the drippings after frying bacon. I use this to season my cast iron. I too dry my pan on the stove top, then when still warm rub a little bacon fat into the pan. Once in a while a little soap is needed as Jenny suggests, but don't leave it soaking and sometimes if real stubborn I use a little coarse salt as an aid in removing the stuck on stuff. I lived with my grandma when I was in high school some 40 odd years ago, she used nothing but cast iron and taught me this method. I know other fats and oils work well, this one works good for me, and I'm still using the pans my grandmother used. You just can't ruin a good cast iron pan.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

MissDotty
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Anna
Coralville IA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  09:47:49 AM  Show Profile
The sticking my be caused by incomplete polymerization of the fat that you are using. Seasoning the pan has to be done in such a way that the fat which you are using degrades completely. For a first seasoning I use crisco (not butter flavored!) or lard, since saturated fats polymerize faster. Rub the pan down well and then stick it in the oven until it smokes. Turn off the oven and let it cool completely. Repeat.

You should not need to reseason a well cared for pan. Soap will remove the polymerized coating, so I don't recommend using it unless you use the pan everyday (with use the polymer coating gets thicker, and can become sticky if some is not removed). While bacon fat is not a good seasoning agent for pans as it contains salt which encourages rust, cooking bacon in the pan helps it hold its seasoning longer.

TO care for my pans I clean them immediately after use and set them on the stove or in the oven to dry, if the pan will be stored for a while, I rub on a bit of peanut oil to prevent any rust (this coating does not season the pan. seasoning needs high heat), if the pan isn't going to be stored for long I just put it away. If you have problems with the bottom of a dutch oven sticking, I recommend using it to deep fry something. The oil in deep frying degrades just enough to thicken the polymers where you need them: the bottom and the lower 2 inches of the sides.
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:02:43 AM  Show Profile
My grandmother taught me to season a cast iron pan two ways.
If it is a fry pan she would use it to cook only bacon in it until she had cooked 25 pounds of bacon. . then, she said, it will be well seasoned for whatever your going to cook.

If it was a dutch oven or for muffins etc, she would coat the entire pan with criso shortening, place it upside down onto a cookie sheet and place it in the oven. Once it started to smoke a little, she turned off the oven and let it cure. When it was cool to the touch, she wiped it completely with a soft cloth and then repeated the whole process again. ( placing the pans upside down was to keep the shortening from pooling in the bottom of the pan)

I have done this for years with any cast iron pieces that I have rescued from the dump or yardsales, works great.

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  10:09:37 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
I have to disagree on the use of bacon fat, it is true that salt will encourage rust; however that being said, in 40+ years I have never had rusty cast iron using bacon fat. Sometimes and not after every use, even a well seasoned pan needs a touch up. There truly are many methods for caring for and using cast iron - you need to find one that works for you and you are comfortable with.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  1:32:31 PM  Show Profile
I season my cast iron with canola oil. When I wash them I put some water in it, put it on the stove to boil, pour the water out, wipe it out, never use soap, put water in but less, let it boil again, drain it,rinse it, then put it on the burner to dry. After it is dry and while it is warm I take small amount of oil and wipe the inside bottom and sides. I never have a problem with sticking no matter what I cook.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  7:35:53 PM  Show Profile
I don't buy crisco but I do make lard so maybe I'll try that. I do use my cast iron on an almost daily basis so I may just need to season it a little more since it gets washed more.
I used to use coconut oil but I haven't bought any in a while so I had switched to oilve oil. I wasn't aware though of the types of different fats breaking down differently- good info.
Thanks for all of your responses, I apprecaite it! :)

You can visit my blog at www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1690 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1690 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  4:41:27 PM  Show Profile
Crisco works well for me.
Laurie