Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Cherry Pie Filling Recipe for canning
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cherry Pie Filling Recipe for canning Next Topic  

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  3:31:32 PM  Show Profile
This website has the recipe for the BEST cherry pie filling for canning!! I've already tried the recipe and it's fabulous.

http://canningusa.com/IfICanYouCan/PieFillingCherry.htm

Hope you like it as much as I do.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1

mrsmoosepants
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Sara
Lackawanna NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  12:51:54 PM  Show Profile
Can you make this in pint sized jars? I ask only because the recipe says only Quart sized.
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  3:38:09 PM  Show Profile
Sara, you know I made a single batch of the recipe and had some left over so I started a pint, then I finished topping it off with the double batch. I think the only reason it says "quarts only" is because that would be the size you would want to pour into a regular pie shell. I thought of using the 1 pint jar I have for tarts.
I'm sure it won't be a problem what sized jar you put it in.

Cindy

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

mrsmoosepants
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

Sara
Lackawanna NY
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  4:13:25 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, I want to make this for cobbler instead of pies. Can't wait, I already have 2lbs of cherries pitted, more to do tonight when I get home.
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  4:28:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
wow does that ever look good!

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  4:58:54 PM  Show Profile
Claudia, it tastes really really really good too!

Cindy

Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  5:32:04 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so very much for sharing this.
I'm wondering, can you use frozen fruit when preparing this if it's thawed?
We just came into some fabulous cherries, today! And I had to order the clear jel on-line since I couldn't find it locally. The cherries won't last fresh until it gets here.
Any suggestions would be appreciated! :)

You can visit my blog at www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  10:31:21 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I surely don't know as I used fresh. I didn't use the clear-jel though, I used corn starch and it worked like a charm. I followed the directions bringing the ingredients to a boil then adding the cherries and bringing back to a boil then I boiled it, stirring constantly, for 5 min, then I canned it right away in quart jars (and one pint jar for the over flow, too good to waste) and processed in a hot water bath for 30 min.

Sorry I don't know about the frozen cherries.
Cindy

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  05:59:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I just can my cherries and when I want to make a pie, I open a jar, add sugar, and thickener and pour it into my pie shell and bake it off. That way if I want to use my cherries in different ways I can.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  08:20:04 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue, do you can in water or a light syrup? Do you pit or stone yours first? My MIL used to pit and freeze hers, but I wasn't around when she didn't have dimentia to see how she used to use them after freezing. I just found them in the big freezer along with other things like whole frozen tomatoes.

Cindy

Go to Top of Page

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  7:38:42 PM  Show Profile
Cindy, I was reading on line that cornstarch breaks down in canned products but that the clear jel won't. Have you already opened up a jar to see how it worked?

You can visit my blog at www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:57:23 AM  Show Profile
Heather, I just found this site recently so only just made the cherry pie filling and canned it. I guess I'll find out how it works when I make a cherry pie come fall. I'll report back then on whether or not the corn starch broke down or not.

Cindy

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Cherry Pie Filling Recipe for canning Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page