Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 My Garden Has a Secret/ cute gardening ideas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic My Garden Has a Secret/ cute gardening ideas Next Topic
Page: of 7

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2010 :  6:31:11 PM  Show Profile
I love you sweet ladies. I am starting my journal tomorrow. What a great idea, especially since we got a bunch more snow yesterday...LOL
This is going to be so much fun!

www.muckingbootsandmagic.blogspot.com

www.meadowcrone.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  09:28:22 AM  Show Profile
I love the journal page. How cute. I have used ladders in my back yard garden and also loved the colored bottle idea. On the herb web site they were asking about still room books and I think the journal is just the kind of idea they were looking for. I am going to start mine tonight....
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  09:04:16 AM  Show Profile
What a great idea! I love paper of all kinds and blank journals. I'm sure I have several I can find and start one for me and give some of the pretty blanks to some winter weary friends.
Thanks ladies!

Blessings, staci
: )
Go to Top of Page

bdhughes77
True Blue Farmgirl

126 Posts

Debbie
Menomonie WI
USA
126 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  10:08:11 AM  Show Profile
This is a great time of year to get this thread going again...hope it catches on again. A really big thing in West Central Wisconsin for creative gardening is to tip an old wheelbarrow or bushel basket on its side and make it look like dirt and flowers spilled from it! Really cute!

Count your blessings!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  11:10:59 AM  Show Profile
I sure wish I could have a garden again here. I think I will start some small ones around the yard. I'll have to fence them in though because I like to let the goats and cows in the yard to mow for me. The 2 cows are out there right now. I have to move my potted herbs so they don't see them. And cover my daylillies. But I like them eating all the good tall grass right now.

I love all these great ideas. We sure have some creative ladies here. I do want a herb garden. I have a spot picked out that already has a part of a fence. I just need to get the ground ready now.

Debbie, I have seen lots of the turned over pots around here. And I had a wheelbarrow at my other house with flowers. They are still there too, after 10 years. I need another one now.

Is anyone else dreaming of flowers and herbs? Or actually planting them.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

remembrance farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Cheryl
"Remembrance Farm" Ky
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2010 :  4:41:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks girls I enjoyed all the posts!!

Cheryl

I will work harder!
Go to Top of Page

shereekimes
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Sheree
Statesboro GA
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2010 :  7:32:55 PM  Show Profile
Spring finally came to Southeast Georgia...for 2 weeks...now it is summer. HAHAHA! Anyway, I took down my 20 year old 18X4 round above ground pool. In it's place I am working on a chicken coop and a Square Foot garden. Bought the baby chicks (I grew up in PA where we called them peepees) last Saturday! The are doing great and will be ready to move out to the coop in about 2 more weeks. I better get busy and get it done. Think I will take some pix tomorrow and post them.

Sheree LivIt! You can change the world one person at a time. jlang
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2010 :  11:33:27 AM  Show Profile
Hello FarmGirls,

Recently i was honored to have some of my photos that were posted here included in the April/May 2010 issue of MaryJanesFarm magazine!

I am so jazzed!

A few days ago i was shopping at one of my favorite
Etsy Shops ---> JessicaFlores.
I love her Farmgirl note cards and scooped them up!
She noticed my name and made the connection to the photos she saw in the MaryJanesFarm magazine and wrote me this email:

"BeckySue,
I just had to send you a quick note to tell you about an amazing coincidence. Just yesterday I was reading one of my favorite magazines and saw a familiar name near the back in a letter and photo section. Imagine my surprise when I realized that it was you who had sent in the sweet pictures of ladders in her garden to Mary Jane's Farm (I also have an antique step ladder in my garden)! The magazine and Mary Jane's books have been a favorite of mine for several years, and the reason why you love my cards is probably because they were inspired from pictures of Mary Jane's staff straight out of the magazine!!
Just thought it was a fun little bit of serendipity between farmgirls at heart. I'm putting your package in the mail today. Have a great day!
Jessica"

Isn't that neat how we FarmGirls connect!

Here is the link to her wonderful etsy store:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JessicaFlores

Farm Girl # 560
Go to Top of Page

cwinicole
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Laura
Lapwai ID
USA
13 Posts

Posted - May 03 2010 :  8:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Send cwinicole a Yahoo! Message
I love this idea! It's the perfect garden tool storage solution!

Live Simply
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - May 04 2010 :  05:58:04 AM  Show Profile
I used an old 16 foot hog panel to make an harbor at the entrance of my garden. I got clippings of Virginia Creeper and planted them to crawl the grid of the panel. It looks really cool in the summer when the leaves are mature. No one ever guesses it is an old hog panel. I am using old bricks to create a round patio in the middle of my garden to put our fire pit on. I have never had a place to put the pit so just thought it would be a great place since my garden is huge.
Go to Top of Page

mdcraftaddict
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Betsy
Aberdeen Maryland
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2010 :  3:22:03 PM  Show Profile
I am new to the blog and love all of the ideas. I am an avid gardener and am always on the lookout for creative plantings. I actually took an old red wagon and had my husband drill some drainage holes in it and planted herbs in it. I also took an old tricycle and drilled some holes in the seat and attached a plastic clay pot to it and have geraniums.
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
I'm thrilled this is still going strong!

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/

Check out my ETSY store too! I'm loving it!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Claudiascraftshop
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  7:02:17 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
This is great. I obtained several old wringer washing machines and planted herbs in one and flowers in another. The one I liked the best was the one I filled with water and added goldfish. Then I put a large ceramic fish on the side with a pump and it had water coming out of it's mouth and sounded so peaceful. Everyone was so amazed when they saw it. I also have 2 clawfoot tubs, 1 red and 1 orange, that I have sitting side by side that I use to cool off. My GKS love them too. Not to mention my beagle Jackie only has to be asked, "Do you want a dip." I bricked a .platform all around the outside of the tubs. I have a table and chairs on one side and a swing on the other side. I wish I knew how to post pictures so I could show you. It is surrounded by my flowers on 3 sides. After I'm filthy from working in my veggie garden I jump in my tub and wash before I go in and shower. When the water needs changing I use my many old metal watering cans to water my plants. No waste!
I also took old garden tools and placed them along my rail fence. Some I put birdhouses on and some I left plain. My metal watering cans hang here and there along the 19 fences. I put some solar lites in the spouts or top opening.
This year for the 1st time I planted in wooden pallets. I put them in my rototilled garden. I then put the plants in and put newspaper around the plnats. Then I put straw on top and the newspaper and straw in the walking paths. I have NO weeds. It's been the easiest garden I've ever grown. NO WEEDS! My veggies are great.

Nearer to God in my garden!
Go to Top of Page

lanikyea
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Lani
Clayton New Mexico
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  6:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Cherry I really liked the pots on pots pole. Are they all threaded on a metal bar like a rebar? How nice they look and I can just see them in my garden. Thanks for the picture. Lani
Go to Top of Page

Chickies Mom
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Ava
Jay Maine
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  12:41:22 PM  Show Profile
I'm thinking of using an old watering can that has a big hole in the bottom for a planter.

Every day I wake up is a good day
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  1:40:33 PM  Show Profile
This idea may be too late for this year, but I heard a gardener speak on the radio. She was discussing hanging plants & that sometimes with the planting soil, they may be very heavy on a shepherd's hook. She has successfully used packing peanuts or other strofoam pieces in the bottom & around the sides (not too thick)of the planter. The strofoam insulates the plant from the heat, does not affect watering, less costly than using all planting soil, & of course is lighter on the hook. I tried it this year with some supertunias. They have done well.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  4:19:23 PM  Show Profile
I've done that also, just be sure when you dismantle the plant, don't forget
about the peanuts. I dumped the dirt into the compost and had to pick out
all those peanuts, although I have heard that there are some that disengrate.
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  4:33:20 PM  Show Profile
Buffypuff: What a great idea! My garden has some things that haven't been planted yet. Tonight's the night! Thanks. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2010 :  6:56:01 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie, don't forget to take Toni's recommendation when fall arrives. Toni, I might not have caught myself being careful. Thanks for completing the styrofoam information. ;0)

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  12:03:34 PM  Show Profile
I have bowling balls in a variety of colrs around my plants in my garden. I also have stacked rocks and 'play' with them, restacking every now and again,. I find I get lost in it, making the stacks. I have an old top of a fountain that I use as a bird bath, however my cat Lynx finds it and lays around in it when its dry. I make totems and place them around my yard. I am makign a 'walk this way' path on the side of my house. It will consist of plants inside shoes, lining the pathway, hence 'walking this way'. I have a mannequin that I plants head down to her waste and she has flippers on her feet in the air, she is in the 'beach' garden. I also have colored glass starfish, shells from beach I've been too in the past, etc, I would love an old skidster in it but havent found one small enough yet. I have old glass insulators topping rebar in differnt heights, iron ware on sticks plants around the yard. I am always on the prowl looking for new ideas and fun things for my yard. When people come to visit, they always say how fun my yard is. My husband ansers, yah, my friend's wive plant plants in their yard, my ole' lady has this stuff, and yes, he says that with a smile on his face....

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

SimpleLady
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Rural Michigan
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  4:26:10 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have instructions on how to macrame a chair? I have an old deck chair frame (1 inch pipe) would like to use sisal rope to weave a seat for it.

Keep it simple
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  10:08:13 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
I don't but I was at a church picnic saturday and saw someones chairs and she had done something with yarn that looked like weaving. Neat! Go to Tipnut.com they might have it.

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

DNA doesn't make us sisters, Love does!

The road to a friends house is never to long!

Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2010 :  12:59:59 AM  Show Profile
Kim...I love the Bowling Balls in the Garden...would love to do that myself. I read about it
in a Novel one time. Also, this past summer I saw a Garden magazine that showed how to make a
Lady Bug out of a Bowling Ball and a Yellow & Black Bumble Bee. They were adorable to say the
least!

blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com
A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  11:22:40 PM  Show Profile
Last summer my husband salvaged a cast iron bathtub out of a 60's era trailer. We put it in the front yard, built a rock wall on all four sides of it, placed an antique water pump on the wall, and hooked a small pond fountain up to it. We built a natural rock mini-patio on one side, added a chimmenia, and some thrifted wicker furniture. We had so much fun drinking our morning coffee out by the fountain! When the cool autumn evenings came our children who are young adults and teenagers LOVED roasting marshmallows in the chimmenia! Looking forward to spring and warmer weather to enjoy my "bathtub" again!

Kathy Jane
Farmgirl #2565
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2011 :  09:53:05 AM  Show Profile
Kathy...your bathtub and chimmenia sounds fun!

Kim...you are like me...I think I have more garden art planted than anything else!

Like you two...I am just dreaming about summer and warmer weather again!

Hugs,
Peggy

Farmgirl #1326
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com
http://pegsmiles7.wordpress.com

"I'm only as strong as the caffeine I drink, the hair-spray I use and the Girlfriends that I have."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic My Garden Has a Secret/ cute gardening ideas Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page