Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 My Garden Has a Secret/ cute gardening ideas
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic My Garden Has a Secret/ cute gardening ideas Next Topic
Page: of 7

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2009 :  5:10:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Wow, i never though when i started this thread it would blossom as well as it has!

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door."

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  12:20:50 PM  Show Profile
I like to make a simple woven herb hanging for cooking lovers. Use an old, small picture frame. Tie on yarn or cord and wrap 6 times. Weave herbs into the cord. Put a hangar on the back. A great Christmas gift for the kitchen.

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2009 :  2:38:52 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie, that sounds pretty and functional too!
Can you post a photo? I'd love to see it and then maybe i can copy you!

You are
Welcome
to visit
My Serenity Garden
Go to Top of Page

BarnChickCecily
True Blue Farmgirl

673 Posts

Cecily
Corydon IN
USA
673 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  12:15:06 PM  Show Profile
So glad I found this thread! Sooooo many ideas for next spring...keep them coming!

Farmgirl Sister # 241
www.thebarnchick.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Madgardener
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Janet
Oldsmar Fl
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  12:09:43 PM  Show Profile
Gardening ideas, and other fun stuff.www.Phoenixfarm.biz
Madgardener/ Farm Girl 697..Check it out!

www.phoenixfarm.biz
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  1:27:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Madgardener . . . Janet,
I just visited your website, BRAVO! Very nice.

FarmGirl # 560
Go to Top of Page

Claude09647
True Blue Farmgirl

761 Posts

Claudia
Our Dairy Farm Pennsylvania
USA
761 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2009 :  1:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Claude09647 an AOL message
Did everyone see that In one of the up and coming issues of MJF they are having a gardening secrets part of the mag?

"My ideal day is sitting on the back porch, cup of green tea in hand, slippers on, and just watch the cows in the pasture"

http://claude09647.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

spiral sage
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

crystal
rock hill sc
USA
12 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2010 :  5:54:37 PM  Show Profile
Great Ideas ladies. I have collected every good idea on crafts and gardening. I have a file cabinet that I had my son paint a bright green, I keep all my ideas catergorized.
Here are some ideas I have found...
1. Bean/Pea Teepee, using twigs to create the teepee and let the beans grow up around them with an opening for little ones to hide/play inside.
2. Concrete Leaves, use a big leave and create an indent in a pile of sand then pour the concrete, use as a bird bath or just a decoration
3. Love the idea of a totem pole
4. twig chairs and twig trellis
5. toad houses
6. fairy houses
7. I like the idea of using edible plants as landscape outside the garden even.
Keep up the wonderful ideas ladies

insanity is doing what you've always done and expecting something different to happen.
http://twistedthyme.blogspot.com/
http://www.xanga.com/twistedthyme
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2010 :  05:12:39 AM  Show Profile
Wow! What great ideas...can't wait until spring!

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
Go to Top of Page

necykay
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Denise
Crownsville MD
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2010 :  7:17:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies!
It is a pleasure to read about all of your ideas. I want a greenhouse in the worst way, but because of the number of old oak trees in our yard, we can't even get grass to grow. Mostly because of lack of light and partly because of the acid from the oak leaves. So my husband came up with the idea of setting up an indoor garden in the spare bedroom with growing lights. Not sure exactly what we will plant, but it sounds like a possible idea. I will keep you posted as the idea turns into a reality. We have the shelving unit...now it just needs to get out of the back of my husband's truck, which also needs to stay out of the garage for a reasonable amount of time. LOL
Happy New Year!

Yearning to move to the mountains.
Go to Top of Page

Maggiemoo
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Jennifer
Johnstown Ohio
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  04:55:44 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I have been saving our wine bottles. I good friend of mine had her son cut off the narrow neck of some. She then lightly burried some of those outdoor Christmas lights with the big bulbs (with the bulbs pointing up. Then she placed the cut off wine bottles over the lights. It makes the neatest garden path lights. I also used an old wagon wheel on top of some blocks filled with soil. I planted a different herb in each section. It is very cute in the center of my garden.

Cowgirls are forever.
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  07:42:51 AM  Show Profile
i have an idea that is only partially baked in my brain - maybe you guys can help me get it finished! I have an wooden twin bed frame, with slats along the bottom (where the mattress would normally be). I thought it would be cute if I could figure out how to use it as a frame in my garden, with the plants growing up between the slats, using them as supports - kind of a "garden bed" idea. But when I picture it in my mind, all I see is an old bed sitting out in my yard. Any ideas how to spruce it up or make it look less junky in the process?

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  08:28:12 AM  Show Profile
Hello Girls,
Below is a photo I took in Annie's Herb Garden.
She used a set of bunk beds to make a trellis!
It is painted lavender. Roses are scrambling on it.

FarmGirl # 560
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  10:30:07 AM  Show Profile
I love this thread, and I have gotten some good ideas. Here are a few things I have:
1) My dtr made signs with posts that I place in my different gardens. One says Toot's Garden, another Garden tours 5 cents etc.

2) I hang small wind chimes that tinkle gently in the lower branches of my shade trees. They are tall enough we don't bump, but can see them when walking underneath.

3) Several of my trees have a small cross hanging from a branch. One is a curled weathered leather key chain. Another is a cheap silver colored necklace. I plan on getting more from yard sales etc.

4) I have old shiney & pink jack-o-loid fishing lures (without hooks) that my son Joel used 25 yrs ago, hanging from my fruit trees. It keeps some of the birds away from the fruit & when I see them, I lovingly think of my son as a little boy, fishing pole and tackle box.

Some of these things may seem stupid, but I enjoy them, and it gives me great pleasure.

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page

cntry@heart
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Diane
Clinton MO
USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2010 :  4:26:37 PM  Show Profile
I have used old tractor tires! They are great for what my folks have always called Live Forevers.... to be honest I'm not sure what their real name is! I think these other ideas are great too! My dad wants to use an old tub, sink and toilet - but my mom isn't so keen on the idea. I think it's kinda cute so may try it at my place this year!
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2010 :  6:19:16 PM  Show Profile
My new favorite idea is live willow structures.They are being used more in Europe especially at young children's playgrounds.You can weave them as they grow.I've just planted bare, long as I can find, fresh cut whips and pushed them into our wet ground where they should root.As long as I keep them watered ,especially the first year. I have so far done about 50 feet of fence and a arbor.If you google willow structures you'll see gazebos and other structures.
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 23 2010 :  5:05:49 PM  Show Profile
How about a splash of color in your garden, easy to do!
Here i have placed some pretty Blue Bottles on sticks,
and planted them next to a wooden ladder . . . topped with a birdhouse, there is
even an old rusted camera!
There is no end to the fun you can create in your
Secret Garden.

FarmGirl # 560
Go to Top of Page

sharikrsna
True Blue Farmgirl

185 Posts

Shari
Carthage Illinois
USA
185 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2010 :  4:10:56 PM  Show Profile
One of the girls in my chapter uses clawfoot bathtubs as planters. She has three, and they look really nice!

Shari
Farmgirl Sister #607
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  12:19:41 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE all the ideas everyone is sharing in this our Garden Has a Secret/Cute Gardening Ideas thread!

Here is a photo of a tall ladder placed in the garden with potted plants on the rungs.

Of course we must paint that ladder a serene lavender
or would you prefere a snappy orange?

FarmGirl # 560
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  3:40:31 PM  Show Profile
Katie, I looked up the living willow ideas and loved them, guess what I am doing this year!

www.muckingbootsandmagic.blogspot.com

www.meadowcrone.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

staci860
True Blue Farmgirl

838 Posts

Staci
Newville PA
USA
838 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2010 :  5:16:21 PM  Show Profile
It's the end of January and has been rainy all day.
I am so glad I fould this site!!! Great, adorable ideas.
One that i have used around my house and garden along the lines of whimsy and little hidden treasures:
my dear MIL often bought my children little figurines as sovineirs when she was away on vacation.
Cowboy boot from out west, sailboats from the shore, angels, etc. usually 3-8" tall. It is fun to hide them under shrubs and special plants. Children enjoy hunting for them and they can "lead" the eye away from the weeds that get ahead of me.
I've also recycled some playground toys that my DH rescued from his job. I have a 3ft yellow and green caterpillar (formerly one of those spring mounted ride on toys) peeking out of my butterfly bush.
Thanks for the willow tip, Katie! I will definietly be looking into that!
FGS #973

Blessings, staci
: )
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  12:56:31 PM  Show Profile
I need to garden, got more catalogs today. It is snowing so hard outside, we have about 4 feet of snow and it is freezing. What can I do now? Someone rescue me from my pity party.

www.muckingbootsandmagic.blogspot.com

www.meadowcrone.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  3:47:35 PM  Show Profile
Hello dear MeadowCrone,
I know how you feel . . . when it's cold outside and all we have are Gardening Catalogs to daydream with, it's cold outside & we can't start gardening yet. It's enough to drive a Farm Girl crazy!
But take heart! Here is an idea to help you escape your "pity party!"

Start a gardening Journal.
Get a blank book or notebook.
Cut pretty photos out of those catalogs and magazines. Paste photos of the flowers you plan to plant in spring and how you will arrange the veggie patch.
Get creative! Draw pictures, write with colored pens, add some dried flowers, the sky is the limit!
You'll be so please and your spirits will soar!

Farm Girl # 560
Go to Top of Page

BeckySue
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

BeckySue
Arizona
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  3:54:46 PM  Show Profile
~ ~ ~ and one more idea
to help you get started on that Garden Journal
full of ideas to do when the snow is gone:

Farm Girl # 560
Go to Top of Page

buffypuff
True Blue Farmgirl

1183 Posts

Claudia
Deer Park WA
USA
1183 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2010 :  6:23:44 PM  Show Profile
I love the journaling and flower pictures to keep one's spirit up. I have several journals going, one for home, and one that I take with me when we go for a ride or camp. This journal has a blank page on the left side and lines on the right. I can tell the story of my find on the right and either get a picture, draw it or press one of it's leaves or flowers on the left in the book. It is a special journal just for me.

Just who drew all those wonderful ideas with the colorful flowers, veggies and words of wisdom? My, I love that!!

Buffypuff/ Claudia
Farmgirl & Sister #870

"Half of success is the assurance of support along the way." cr
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Book Ideas: Previous Topic My Garden Has a Secret/ cute gardening ideas Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page