Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pantry Design? Next Topic  

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  3:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I figured if any group of people know the demands of a more old-fashioned pantry, it's y'all. I need help!

I have a pantry closet - but thanks to the shelving, it's inefficient and just plain horrible. It can't stay tidy. When we finished remodeling the house we installed what they call "pantry shelving" - deep, wire shelves that bow heavily under the weight of my canning jars, the supports for which mean there needs to be 16" of space between each, which means things get stacked on top of each other, further bowing the shelves and in short - it's a mess. It's no good, and it needs to be done properly.

I know I want wood shelves - the old fashioned way is best - nice simple slabs of pine. However - I can't figure out how best to arrange the shelves - I'm thinking 12" deep, 10" between each for the most part. That way the whole canning box fits on a shelf.

However - would it be weird to add 5" deep shelves along the side walls? These could hold cans, and the taller bottles of stuff.

My pantry is 47" wide by 23" deep, 8' tall

How do you have yours designed? Does it work? Are there things you wish were different? Are there things that work exceedingly well?

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  5:05:57 PM  Show Profile
Look un the Welcome Wagon, and Catherine Seiberling Pond is introducing herself and her new book all about Pantry's. I love pantry's so I've already ordered my. Maybe you could get some great idea's from it.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

Turtle Cottage
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Elizabeth
Houston Texas
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  7:17:14 PM  Show Profile
HelloLynn,
Check out my blog. I have pictures of my pantry on there that might help you. My dh built me a nice pantry.
Hugs,
Elizabeth

Have a Blessed and Simple Day.
Elizabeth

www.elizabethsimplejourney.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  05:45:40 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Hi Elizabeth - your pantry looks so tidy! I won't post any photos of mine, not until I have "after" shots.
Cabinprincess - I'm off to see about that book! Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pantry Design? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page