lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  12:27:25 PM  Show Profile
I have about 8 rather large yellow straightneck squash that I picked this morning. Being gone from my garden for a week has left alot of wasted produce. I am torn between using them or just pitching them into the compost pile. Is there anything worthwhile to make out of them, or are they too large and mature? They are about 8-10 inches long and the largest part of the body is maybe 5 inches across.

Has anyone ever dehydrated squash and made chips out of them? I have heard of people doing it with zucchini, but not squash yet. I would probably have to remove the seeds since I am sure they have gotten a bit large. Maybe I will try that. I think I am just going to have to experiment with them. Any other thoughts?

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  3:31:32 PM  Show Profile
Slice off a upper portion of the sguash length ways, scoop out insides and saute with olive oil and garlic, brown some hambuger with onion and season to taste, mix in squash and put all back in shell, wrap with foil and put in the oven at 225 til warmed thru

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  7:01:27 PM  Show Profile
Toni, sometimes when a squash is too big it's a little tough. So what I do is cut off the smaller ends and grate it. Add a little grated onion, an egg, salt, pepper, a pinch of sugar and some SR flour to make some squash patties. Oh, and fry in a hot skillet with just a little oil or spray. They are SO good! You just wouldn't want to use the fat middle part with the big seeds.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Jul 08 2009 7:02:51 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Overgrown yellow squash Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page