Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Yay! I canned string beans! Next Topic  

Hosanna
True Blue Farmgirl

466 Posts

Hosanna
Alton Virginia
466 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  5:00:24 PM  Show Profile
I know this is silly but - I am so stinkin' proud of myself! I canned 10 quarts of string beans with my new (older) pressure canner. I was terrified of it! I was afraid it would explode if I didn't do things "just so". My husband, who was born and raised on a farm in a family of big-time farmers in Michigan, just laughed at me when I said I was afraid of it. I studied the instruction book for a couple of hours, and then dove in! I've canned before, mostly tomatoes, with a boiling-water bath canner; and I've frozen a lot of foods, but never used a pressure canner. All day today I was peeking in the pantry at the jars to make sure they were still sealed....... I am so goofy. But I am just tickled. I am a true farmer's wife now, I guess!

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  5:57:46 PM  Show Profile
Yay, Hosanna! For what it's worth...I'm so stinkin' proud of you, too!!! I won't even attempt to can ANYthing until my grandmother has a day to give towards it so she can make sure I don't do anything that'll kill us all! Exploding pressure canners included!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  6:53:56 PM  Show Profile
Yay Hosanna! I know just how you feel. The first time I used a pressure canner I practically hid behind a wall the whole time it was processing and cooling, and even then I was afraid to take the lid off! But my beans and pumpkin jars were sooooo beautiful, and so delicious throughout the winter.

Right now I only have a water bath canner, but I think I need to scout around for a new pressure canner!
Go to Top of Page

Mother Hen
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Cindy
Peck ID
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  09:17:15 AM  Show Profile
Hosanna, WOW you did great!! You are a brave girl!! I've only used a pressure cooker once and did blow it up with lots of damage to the stove, hood, ceiling and light fixture, cabinet, not to mention I was cooking cabbage and had to clean it up EVERYWHERE.

My DH bought me a pressure canner but I haven't been brave enough to attempt to use it yet.

You are an inspiration, I will try it this year.

Cindy

FARMGIRLS CAN DO ANYTHING!!!

I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth. Psalms 34:1
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  07:16:03 AM  Show Profile
I am so proud of you too and was laughing the whole time I was reading because I know that I will be the same way when I try my hand at it this summer. Just waiting for those beans to take off! Congratulations my dear! 3 cheers to you for no explosions! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!

Playing in the Sonshine
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/sonshine4u
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  5:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Now that is something to be proud of! Good for you!

Hugs!
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com

http://beehivecottage.etsy.com

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  03:49:48 AM  Show Profile
YEA!

Now listen for the lids to PING! and seal

Best sound there is when it comes to the kitchen!

Congrats
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Yay! I canned string beans! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page