Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Life After Gallbladder Surgery
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Life After Gallbladder Surgery Next Topic  

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  5:03:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls!

I'm scheduled to have my gallbladder removed on August 6. Anyone else had gallbladder surgery?

I'm really not very concerned about the actual surgery, many of my female family members have had gallbladder surgery. My concern is what happens afterward. My sister has constant digestive problems since her surgery. What is your experience like? Did you change your diet in any way? What works for you?

Thanks so much for your help,
Joyce

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  6:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Joyce, Don't you worry one little bit! I had the surgery a few years ago and it went without a hitch! Firstly, I only had the "easy" kind through the 3 tiny holes and NOT the really invasive surgery where they cut you from stem to stern (I don't know if they even DO that anymore.) But it was not bad at all and I can eat anything I want (don't know if THAT is a good thing or not!!) If you have any other questions, just ask! Best of luck, Cindy
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2009 :  9:54:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Joyce,
I had my gall bladder out shortly after my oldest daughter was born almost 17 years ago. I'm pretty sure it didn't affect my digestion. I still love food and eat good stuff! :) You'll be fine.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  06:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Joyce,
My sister had hers out June 30th just a week a go. She was so scared but came through it with flying colors. The doc told her that in 2 to 3 days she can swim she was so excited because she doesn't know how to swim. lol But realy it was a breese. She told me the doc didn't change her diet but she is just being careful of what she eats. I hope yours will go smooth. Will be praying for you.

Hugs,
Tina
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  08:29:19 AM  Show Profile
The only real problem I had was with real fatty foods I figured out which one to not eat and it has been easy for 24 years.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  08:51:40 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much, girls!

You are all so sweet and have eased my mind considerably. I will be having the easier surgery, so I hope I'll be up and about in a few days.

Thank you for the prayers, Tina. I believe prayer DOES make a difference.

Hugs to you all,
Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  08:53:41 AM  Show Profile
I don't want to scare you, but my husband had all kinds of digestive problems. It took him about a year before he was feeling like himself again. The doctors told him he might have to watch eating fatty foods, but he had more problems with acidic ones: coffee, beer, tomatoes. Everybody's different, so just take it carefully at first and I'm sure you'll come through ok. It will be better than having a bum gall bladder, that's for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  09:03:28 AM  Show Profile
Ya know, it took me a long time to feel "right" again, but I had complications with the anaesthetic and had to stay a few extra days in the hospital...I have problems with fatty, overly rich foods and now cucmbers give me the hiccups! lol! but I'm happier with out the darned thing and I think you will be too.

*hugs*
good luck and try not to worry!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  7:22:47 PM  Show Profile
Joyce--gallbladder surgery is so common now that it's considered day surgery-I had mine taken out and went home the next day. I can eat anything and don't have any problems. Just to be on the safe side though, consider drinking dandelion root tea once in a while to help cleanse your liver, as the liver takes over for the missing gallbladder. The worst thing about it for me was the discomfort following the surgery.
Cindy

"Dog is my co-pilot"

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  08:34:41 AM  Show Profile
Thank again, girls!

I'm expecting to have at least some changes in digestion, probably for the rest of my life. I guess, I'll just have to see how it goes, since I won't be keeping my gallbladder, no matter what happens.

I don't drink alcohol or coffee, so those won't be bothering me anyway.

Actually, I'm rather "insulted" by having gallbladder problems. I eat a very healthy diet and am generally in excellent health. My doctor says that it's hereditary much of the time and almost inevitable since I'm pretty much the only female left in my extended family not to have the surgery.

Thanks a lot for all the great advise,
Joyce
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  11:44:48 AM  Show Profile
Joyce:
I'll be saying prayers for you up to your surgery and after. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  11:48:55 AM  Show Profile
Joyce, it absolutely IS heredity. Every female member of my dad's family have had their gallbladders removed. In fact, me, my sister, and my mom all had ours taken out in the past year. In fact, Mom had hers removed yesterday! She was out of surgery in exactly one hour, and she doesn't even have stitches; they glued the little holes shut.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Roxy7
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Robin
Denver CO
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  08:41:56 AM  Show Profile
I had mine out about 9 years ago. The first 6 months I needed to know where every bathroom was every where I went. I dont eat much fried food. It goes right through me. You will have to wait and see if that happens to you.

I also have a bad tummy and did before the gallblader surgery. I have had problems with excess acid and bile. I am on a super bland diet right now while the gastritis heals.

I would learn about the after effects so you can be ready if you have any issues. Most people have no issues, but some do. You never know which way it will go.
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  09:06:53 AM  Show Profile
I had my gall bladder out 6 years ago this month. My life has been ever so much better since then. I had lived with stomach aches and pain for many years until they discovered my gall bladder was filled with stones and even shrunken up. Now I can eat anything and my bathroom habits are much improved too (no constipation)! The only thing I notice is that if I eat too many food that are high in fat at one time or in one day, I do have a "clean out". Sorry to be gross here. But even that is okay with me!

Good luck and just keep eating well afterward, eaet low fat and lots of salads, and you will feel better than you have in years.

Also, I notice I have a small tendency toward motion sickness now that I did not have before. Could not go out on a boat to whale watch on vacation!

My mom and dad and sister also had this happen to them.....I knew it probably a matter of time. They made several small incisions, so I did not have a big recuperation time afterwards...it was about a week to two weeks for me, but just because one of the incisions got pretty sore.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  10:26:40 PM  Show Profile
I had mine out over 10 years ago. The only problem I have ever had since mine was removed is that I get the runs, too - 20 minutes after eating something with a high amount of hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fat/oil. I no longer eat anything with that stuff anymore as no one should anyway (another post coming) and have no problems with anything else. Normal fats and oils as nature intended have been no problem at all.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog:
http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/

My apron website:
http://lisamariesaprons.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Life After Gallbladder Surgery Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page