Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Does anyone use a home blood pressure monitor?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Does anyone use a home blood pressure monitor? Next Topic  

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  07:35:09 AM  Show Profile
I was wondering if anyone here had a reliable home blood pressure monitor. I am considering buying one, but have heard that many times they give inaccurate readings.

I have been having some elevated blood pressure readings for the last few years, but am not being treated for it. I have recently begun to have tinnitus, an annoying ringing in my ears, and some people have said it's possible it's blood pressure related. When I was visiting my folks this weekend, my dad had a wrist BP monitor, and for laughs, I told him to take mine (they don't know about my other readings). This thing said it was 141/97, just sitting there chatting! I don't know if it's wrong, since I haven't been able to get to a pharmacy to get a reading there this week.

So, anyone out there own a reliable one? I'd be interested to know the brand.

Lori

Farmgirl Sister #183

C.W.
True Blue Farmgirl

101 Posts

Chelsea
Prosser WA
USA
101 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  07:45:51 AM  Show Profile
I use one, the brand name is OMRON, it was around $100. It seems fairly accurate, hard to tell since so many variables play into your blood pressure and heart rate. A girlfriend of mine suggested to start using it when I wake up in the middle of the night, just have it by the bed and before I move to check on the kids ect, take my blood pressure. Good Luck
Go to Top of Page

Windsong
True Blue Farmgirl

309 Posts

LaVonna
Decatur Tx
309 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  09:42:39 AM  Show Profile
I have this brand too and it has been good. I was told by the pharmacist not to get the wrist cuff kind. You do want the one that automatically inflates.

Here in Texas you can go to the fire station and the EMTs well check it and that is free and official. You can take your BP machine and have it checked for accuracy.

There are many natural things that help with BP problems but you should be doing something for it. It really is a silent killer.
LaVonna

www.windsongwellnessandtherapyshoppe.com

http://sadiesfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  10:56:22 AM  Show Profile
We have an OMRON too.

works well

got it at Sam's

BP readings vary throughout the day

and remember to take it when you have been still, like first thing in the a.m.
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  11:02:26 AM  Show Profile
I cant remember where mine is from, but it works really well. As long as I have fresh batteries, it reads well. I will have to see what brand it is :) Honestly, I think it is the Rite-Aid brand. Not truly expensive, but good all the same :D
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

"You are my strength when I am weak. You are the treasure that I seek. You are my all in all. Seeking You as a precious jewel; Lord, to give up I'd be a fool. You are my all in all."

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 14 2009 :  11:10:30 AM  Show Profile
I have two - one that goes on my wrist and the other one is the tradition upper arm kind. I think I get a more accurate reading from the upper arm one.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Visit my online store at:
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Daisyheart
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Linda
Macon Ga
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  08:04:39 AM  Show Profile
I use the upper arm cuff with a good stethoscope. After 30 yrs of nursing I'm still addicted to the old fashioned way of checking B/Ps. My cuff has a guage dial and although you can take it to your MD or pharmacist to calibrate from time to time, I've never had a problem with inacuracies with my inexpensive unit.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:28:42 AM  Show Profile
Mine is an OMRON too. I don't use it as often as I should. When I don't feel well I usually will use it to see if my bp is up. I am on meds for high bp for a little over a year (sigh) but sometimes it still shoots up and when it does I monitor it every few hours for that day. I feel like it is pretty acurate.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  6:07:25 PM  Show Profile
We also have an OMRON. I think it is pretty accurate-I am a teacher, and a few times have had the school nurse check my bp, then checked it at home-usually very close.

I also find it amusing the difference in my blood pressure between a Thursday afternoon and a Sunday afternoon after a nice relaxing weekend......

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  11:18:11 PM  Show Profile
Lori, good to see your posting.
So sorry about the blood pressure. DH has some too, and our doc mentioned that is can be related to not drinking enough water. Not fluids but water. Then everything concentrates and end up building up the pressure.
So get your big water bottle and start drinking. The doc also mentioned not putting too much salt on the food.
big hugs,
Corinne

Sister # 101
'Heaven on Earth' is a choice you must make, not a place you must find.
Dr. Wayne Dyer
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Does anyone use a home blood pressure monitor? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page