Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Thoughts on the health of Ebay
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Thoughts on the health of Ebay Next Topic  

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  4:32:24 PM  Show Profile
I was going to list some items today, but everywhere I went, with different items I wanted to list, I saw no bids, and no interest. This is different, as in the past, bidding on just about everything collectbile was crazy, and a person could always make a little profit. Has anyone else noticed the lack of bidding on Ebay? Is it my imagination?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  5:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
Truthfully I haven't been on ebay much in awhile. I used to really love shopping and selling there. But then ebay raised fees and I just lost interest. It isn't that I've lost interest in the sellers I enjoyed buying from or the things I collect. I know ebay has to make money to cover their costs, but the fees became confusing and it seemed like ebay was getting greedy.

I also think the economy may have something to do with the lack of interest. People may think- why should they look if they know they can't buy.

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

RuralSuburbia
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Leslie
Northern CA
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  6:13:41 PM  Show Profile
I hate ebay now. It's too expensive to list, I feel like I'm 'giving' stuff away, and when I buy, it doesn't feel like I'm getting a bargain anymore. I can find better bargains on craigslist locally, or freecycle, or the thrift shop. ACTUALLY, I've done better HERE with bartering! And I simply feel better donating.

*I've got stars in my eyes and exactly $1 in my pocket!*
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  6:48:52 PM  Show Profile
I dont use ebay anymore eaither. They jacked up prices so while many people are "lowering" thier prices on items the shipping fees are outrageous!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  8:45:12 PM  Show Profile
I never look at ebay anymore. I had a friend that used to have a very big business on it and after they raised their fees and she had problems with paypal she got out of it. I heard a lot of their vendors were very unhappy with the price increases. I think they got greedy also and thought they would always be in demand.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  8:49:48 PM  Show Profile
I never use ebay any more either. Hmmmmmm well if farmgirls don't use it..how good can it be doing? Right????

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  08:00:19 AM  Show Profile
I use eBay. I've actually had better luck selling my soap there than on Etsy. People seem to be able to find me better on eBay than Etsy. I compared the fees of both sites and Etsy is only a little cheaper. Factor in that you have to keep renewing listings on Etsy to try and get to the top of the page, and you're spending about the same amount of money. eBay has a new thing where you can list 5 things per month with no listing fees. You do pay a higher percentage in final value fees but if the item doesn't sell you're not out anything.

I think that all online venues like that are hurting right now. eBay definitely is not what it once was but I still go there to shop.

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/rusticcottage
Go to Top of Page

1930sgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Joyce
Alberta
Canada
233 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  09:23:46 AM  Show Profile
I think my biggest issue with eBay is the huge overcharges for shipping from sellers. I just received an item that I was charged $10.95 for shipping when the actual cost to the seller was $1.75. I have written to her repeatedly without response. I really do find this frustrating.
The worst part is when the seller tries to justify the overcharge with excuses about the cost of gas and their time standing in line at the post office.

I'm really getting fed up and find myself not looking on eBay anymore.
Joyce
Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  10:15:39 AM  Show Profile
For me, Ebay is a great resource for those things I cannot buy from where I live. Right now folks are busy with vacations etc and with the lay-offs that are happening people are just being a little more frugal with their spending.

I did pick up some great buys over the past couple of weeks. The shipping fees were exactly what it cost for the seller to ship and the ebay fees are fair. . . especially considering their overhead!

Guess it all comes down to how you look at it. . . I could never afford to run a full time store on what little I spend for an Ebay store. . an they have customers lined up waiting to check out my stuff!!

Joanna #566
JojoNH

http://www.CountryCents.com
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://Twitter.com/Eastwooddesigns
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2009 :  7:22:50 PM  Show Profile
I used to be an eBay addict...haven't been for some time. I'm not really familiar as I've never sold anything, but the rules now are more of a hindrance to the sellers. The fees are higher, and the feedback rule is in more in favor of the buyer than the seller. But...what Joanna says makes sense. People are away this time of year and generally people are trying to save money.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  12:47:34 AM  Show Profile
As far as high shipping costs on eBay - I will not bid or buy an item when I feel the seller is overcharging on shipping. That is one of my biggest pet peeves. That is how a lot of sellers make money to pay for their fees - which is totally against eBay policy but one of those things that really can't be enforced. Just make sure when bidding that you look at the shipping costs too. I will email a seller before bidding and ask if they would be willing to ship a less expensive way. Sometimes they say yes and sometimes no.

Handmade Soap & Lotion Bars http://www.therusticcottagebath.com

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  1:33:39 PM  Show Profile
I used to have a store on Ebay and I did not get many sales. A few, but not anything worth mentioning. I had it for almost 2 years...too long because I was lazy and didn't take it off when it wasn't producing. I kept paying and paying every month in charges. In fact, I ended up paying more in charges in the end than I made in products. I don't know how to navigate Ebay...it's too large and confusing for me. Also, getting conflicts resolved is excruciating. Just getting in actual touch with someone from Ebay is a big hassle.
I'll stick with my own website and I find sources of things on forums. And I get to chat, which is great!
I don't like Esty all that much because everyone's site looks almost exactly the same and I get bored easily and just go somewhere else.

----------------------------------------------------------
I woke up on January 1st and it was 2009.
And it's been that way ever since!

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/
Become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Natured-Earthling/85786527923

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  4:56:41 PM  Show Profile
I don't do ebay much either. Too much change, not for the better, for me.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  7:41:38 PM  Show Profile
I used to love shopping on E-bay. Then they quit letting people pay with money orders and I absolutely hate Pay Pal. It also got to the point that I was spending more on shipping than the actual cost of items I was buying. I think E-bay is a good thing that has outlived it's "fun-ness".

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  06:50:16 AM  Show Profile
We sold on Ebay for about 4 years with much success in both auctions and our store. But the new fee increase, and the unwillingness of eBay to support their vendors has really turned us off. If eBay doesn't take care of their sellers, there will be no buyers.
I don't sell as much on etsy but iti s a much friendlier place to do business.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.stitchingby2sisters.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:34:24 AM  Show Profile
We don't use Ebay as a business and only buy there with the proceeds from sales. We've found that we do much better by offering free shipping and having a higher opening bid.
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  07:37:23 AM  Show Profile
I've never sold anything on eBay - I'm a consumer only - but I've given it up completely, too. Two separate times I have bid on an item, been outbid, and then the seller contacted me later to tell me that the winning bid fell through, and would I like to purchase the item. One time it was after a very aggressive bid-outbid-bid-outbid thing where we went back and forth for several days. I got the feeling the prices were being deliberately run-up by a fake bidder. My dad has restored a WWII-era Jeep, and used to use eBay all the time to find parts and accessories. He had the same thing happen to him; in one instance, he bid on a wrench, someone outbid him with a ridiculous sum (I think it was like $150, when it's only worth about $10), and the day after the auction ended the wrench was relisted. Dad tried to bid again, only to have the same person outbid him again with an outrageous sum. It was relisted again the day after that auction ended.
I think a few jerks have ruined eBay for a lot of people forever. It only takes one apple to spoil the bunch, and one bad experience with a crooked seller will make a person swear off eBay forever.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  09:58:56 AM  Show Profile
One time, I won an item but unfortunately left some negative feedback for the seller and was then harrassed to no end by this woman that hated me because I ruined her perfect feedback score. I told her that if her life was being lived by her feedback score that she needed to see a shrink.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  11:20:39 AM  Show Profile
Yes, the feedback thing has been a problem for me, too. I thought feedback was optional, but some people acted as though their very lives depended on the feedback I left.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Wildcrafter
True Blue Farmgirl

340 Posts

Suzanne
Seattle WA
USA
340 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  11:23:22 AM  Show Profile
It's all about their standing. The better and more the feedback, the higher standing they get, from what I understand.

----------------------------------------------------------
I woke up on January 1st and it was 2009.
And it's been that way ever since!

www.goodnaturedearthling.com
Cedar Mountain Herb School
http://goodnaturedearthling.wordpress.com/
Become a fan! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Natured-Earthling/85786527923

Go to Top of Page

Ga Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2355 Posts

Karen
Meansville Ga.
USA
2355 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  12:07:41 PM  Show Profile
I used to use ebay but I had some very ugly buyers that made me decide not to sell there anymore I only sell on etsy now.

Create in me a pure heart,O God and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalms 51:10 http://farmgirlingastyle.blogspot.com/
www.KKJD1.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  12:21:31 PM  Show Profile
As a consumer, I thought Ebay would be the best thing ever...unfortunately, almost everything I purchased (including my wedding shoes) were either damaged (and it wasn't disclosed) or damaged in shipping and then you play heck getting a refund. And, maybe it's better now, but I found the "mediation" aspect of ebay is a joke. When sellers were able to "hide" their negative feedback, I stopped buying--in one instance, I was the ONLY bidder and bid within the requested amount, and at LITERALLY, the last second, the seller cancelled the auction, and placed the item for bid again at a higher starting bid an hour later. No explanation, nothing--I got a "canned" email that said my bid had been cancelled by the seller. I had 100% feedback, and was a frequent user....Additionally, my priorities have changed, and the "search" just isn't that important to me anymore :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

okiequilter
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Cathy

USA
249 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  12:51:20 PM  Show Profile
I've only sold once on E-Bay and bought a few times. I also thought the fees were too high to make it worth selling.
This is a change of subject, but how are you ladies who sell on Etsy doing this year? I also stopped selling there because of lack of sales.

Cathyjean

www.AuntDaisysCottage.blogspot.com
www.AuntDaisysShoppe.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homesteaderbelle
True Blue Farmgirl

391 Posts

Belle

USA
391 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2009 :  11:59:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see homesteaderbelle's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by melanie47601

.......the fees became confusing and it seemed like ebay was getting greedy.

I felt the same way as Melanie about the prices of eBay.

It cost way too much to put anything on ebay and the listing fees has to be paid whether the item sells or not.
It costs extra to add photos, it costs extra if the price is over $1 or so.
It is way too pricey to list on eBay. It is sort of a gamble, because a person can never tell what will sell or not.
I have had items on ebay not sell and I still had to pay a high listing fee. So, it ended up I was losing money by doing eBay instead of making money.

Belle
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  8:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Like Debbie said, eBay was fun and unique when it first started, but now it's old hat and dragged down with the higher fees and shipping, etc. If I was having a hard time finding something, I would probably look on eBay, but I rarely go onto the site anymore.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Thoughts on the health of Ebay Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page