Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Terces
Vacaville Ca
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  07:08:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I am new to raising chickens and am wondering do I let them keep setting (without eggs) or is there something I can do to encourage them to not set.

What are you grateful for?

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  07:58:58 AM  Show Profile
We have a couple of hens that get broody (wanting to set). We just keep taking the eggs and eventually they get bored and decide they're missing the goodies the other girls are getting by running around the yard. When we WANT them to set, we just leave them with the eggs. I LOVE our chickens. Sometimes I'll just watch them and giggle at their antics. Have fun with them!!!

I am grateful for my family members that are also my BEST friends!!!!!!

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  10:29:02 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
I'm new at having hens that do get broody. My bantams have been doing so off and on the last 6 months. I finally left some of their eggs under them and when I got back from the BBB fair I have a new baby bantam. My other hen won't let me see what's under her, but its really exciting as I usually buy them in the stores in spring. Have fun with yours.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Planting Zone 5
http://grammasladybug.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  10:57:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I know my hens like children. Some make wonderful moms and some just don't. Some would have a nest of eggs and one day just up and walk away from it not giving it another thought. I started reading and saw even some breeds make better moms. Anyway if I had a hen that got broodie with no eggs or one I did not want just sitting I read to put her in a cage and hang the cage up off the ground. This breaks their sitting cycle and in a couple days she just goes off with the other hens when freed. If not put her back in the cage for a bit more. It also said to chuck some ice cold water on them and it would shock them out of the cycle. The cage trick worked for mine so I just drank the ice water myself and we were both happy. You can lose a lot of eggs if you have hens just sitting around on air. Also if I knew the sitting hen was a bad mom I'd take her eggs and put them under another hen and put her in a cage. Never was I so shocked to see a couple baby chicks just laying dead by the barn. I sat out watching thinking my cat might have done it only to see the mom hen for not reason just turn on a chick and peck it in the back of the head. It would kill it instantly and she'd just walk away. I took her chicks to care for myself and she went into the Chicken and Dumplings for dinner.
In no time you'll learn from doing.
Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

chaddsgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

843 Posts

Sarah
Farmgirl Sisterhood #639 MO
USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2009 :  11:03:09 AM  Show Profile
OM Melody!! I've never even heard of a hen doing that! Thas it really awful. I'd have eaten her too.

The chief source of failure and unhapiness is trading what you want the most for what you want at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  03:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Terces and welcome to the forum! These gals are so smart and helpful here. I haven't taken care of chickens since I was a kid on the farm and I sure miss them. If my city lot was bigger I could have 4 hens but dang it my yard is the size of a postage stamp :( Enjoy your chickens!

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Setting chickens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page