brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  7:09:01 PM  Show Profile
When I was growing up, I spent a lot of time at my mom's kitchen table, and after my mom passed away, also at my best friend's mother's kitchen table.

Neighbors would constantly stop by to get a cup of coffee, and to share some news of what was going on in the neighborhood. There was a real sense of community.

I've been a "career woman" for 30 years and my two daughters are all grown up and live 10 miles away. I go to work every day and it is all I can do to get myself to work and fix dinner at night and take care of my garden. We rarely have visitors.

We spend part of our time here and part of our time at our farm in Michigan.

Earlier today some of our farm neighbors stopped by to chat, I didn't invite them in because I had already prepared lunch and it was on the table.

How do I go about re-establishing the kitchen table as a meeting place? Do I have to retire first, and stay in one place?

Do I put a flag in the yard to say "stop in! Receiving visitors" ????

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  7:26:50 PM  Show Profile
Brenda:
Maybe you should give your neighbor a call. Bake a cake or muffins and share over coffee. I love kitchen table talk. Whenever my sisters visit, it's always at the kitchen table over coffee, etc...
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  10:23:25 AM  Show Profile
Brenda
I have had that happen many times....people stopping by right when supper is put on the table. I just invite them in...if I have enough to offer them, I do, if not....I quickly thaw something from the freezer.
I find most of the times they just want to visit and don't mind if you are eating in front of them/

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  3:40:34 PM  Show Profile
I sure wish my neighbors would sop in. And all my friends say it's just too far out here to come. Except one good friend up the road. It gets lonely here sometimes. I wish animals could talk.

I used to have people over all the time when we lived in town. But not here. I guess I should offer to feed them since it is so far away. Maybe someone would come then.

My best friend and I sit at her table when I go see her. Drinking coffee, eating pie or cake and solving all our troubles. That's the only way to do it. Makes it all better.

I like the sign idea, Brenda! I might have to try that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  3:41:13 PM  Show Profile
I sure wish my neighbors would sop in. And all my friends say it's just too far out here to come. Except one good friend up the road. It gets lonely here sometimes. I wish animals could talk.

I used to have people over all the time when we lived in town. But not here. I guess I should offer to feed them since it is so far away. Maybe someone would come then.

My best friend and I sit at her table when I go see her. Drinking coffee, eating pie or cake and solving all our troubles. That's the only way to do it. Makes it all better.

I like the sign idea, Brenda! I might have to try that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  3:54:09 PM  Show Profile
We have that same problem, too, Kris, being too far out. I have one friend who won't even come see me by herself at night because she says our two-mile, one-lane road makes her think of the Halloween and Blair Witch movies! We have some neighbors I don't mind stopping by and others that I'd rather not even pass them on the road, so I'd be hard-pressed to put out a sign. It's a great idea if you like all of your neighbors though. But we're so spaced apart and secluded out here, we don't even know when our neighbors are at home. I guess I could put up a sign that reads, "We are receiving visits from the White's and Mr. McAnnally. All others stay away!"

Sometimes I get lonely, too. Sometimes I wouldn't mind someone stopping by just to break up the monotony. I find myself talking to the dogs alot when I'm here alone. And to myself, as you know. And my plants.

It wasn't unusual for folks to stop by at our house when I was growing-up. They didn't mind watching us eat either, Melanie. But then, Mama isn't known for her cooking.

I guess we're all just too busy to sit a spell and simply visit, Brenda. It's a sad commentation on our world today. But I think we're just the ones to fix that!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

laurzgot
True Blue Farmgirl

1692 Posts

Laurie
Alvin Texas
USA
1692 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  8:16:32 PM  Show Profile
Growing up we always had people come over and talk at the kitchen table. The kitchen was the hub of the house you might day. Now I have the same problem as you all do and it does get lonely. The sign is a good idea but then there are some I don't want. Just an idea we could talk via MJ farmchat have coffee o tea and think of our computers as the kitchen table.
Laurie

suburban countrygirl at heart
Go to Top of Page

EllynAnne
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

EllynAnne
Pueblo CO
108 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  8:45:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey, I think I have an idea here. So you're not overwhelmed with stopbys, how about creating a signal that lets folks know you're welcoming their spontaneous drop in. Like a flag of some sort, perhaps sewn/cut from a tablecloth! You could send out a note alerting people to the signal, and then Just Do It! Hang it out and see who takes you at your word.

xxea
Tie One On...an apron, of course!
www.apronmeomories.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  8:52:37 PM  Show Profile
I love kitchen table talk too. I grew up with my parents and grandparents all hanging out in the kitchen. I think tv has changed alot of that. We HAD tv but it certainly didn't run our lives so much as it does for people now.
My kitchen table is right inside the kitchen door and I can be found there, reading, alot during the day so I still do get to visit there if friends drop by. I love it. I feel like the kitchen and the garden are the best places to be. This time of year especially! I hope you find a system that works! I have lived too far out for visitors before and it IS hard!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Kitchen table talk Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page