MissDotty
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Anna
Coralville IA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  4:05:43 PM  Show Profile
I generally consider leeks a fall food, but as I've seen many nice specimens at the farmers market I thought I would pick some up and make one of my favorite base ingredients: Leek Confit.* Leek confit is a quicker version of caramelized onions( I have a recipe for those too, but be warned it takes 4 hours to make) and can be used for similar things though it is very much milder with a more "green" note to it.

Confit of Leek

4 largish leeks, trimed and washed then cut into 1/4 inch slices (approx 5 cups)
1/4 cup of good butter (the butter is important, if you can use cultured and salted)
2 tablespoons of water
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Prep leeks, using only the whites and light green parts. Keep the darker parts for making chicken stock.
2. In a dutch oven melt the butter on medium low heat, dump in the leeks and stir to coat with the butter. Sprinkle with the water and salt. Turn heat to low and cover tightly
3. Cook, stirring frequently until the leeks have softened considerably, approx 25 minutes.
4. Take off lid and cook a few more minutes to drive off any excess moisture. Keeps well in the fridge, covered. Warm before serving.

Leek and Goat Cheese Appetizer
Goes well with classic martinis, particularly with a New Western style gin

Spread slices of baguette with goat cheese and top with leeks, crack some pepper over the top.

Chicken and Leeks
Goes well with a peppery white wine

Saute your favorite cut of chicken (I use skin on thighs) remove to a plate to rest. Deglaze pan with 1/4 cup of white wine or with a few tablespoons of dry vermouth, add a heaping tablespoon of leeks (1/8 to 1/4 cup) cook out most of the liquid and finish with a bit of cream, serve over the chicken, maybe with a crack of black pepper.

Leeks are great in Omelets:

Leeks and aged goat cheese with thyme
Leeks and ham with Gruyere

Quick Leek and Potato Soup:

heat up 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth with 1/4-1/2 cup leeks, once boiling add 1/2 cup left over potatoes (plain mashed or boiled, or cut up baked potato. No skins) swirl in some cream and correct seasoning with salt and pepper.

*The recipe for the confit is from Gourmet magazine. Everything else is my own unvention.

MClark
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

Michelle
Phoenix, NY
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  6:15:35 PM  Show Profile
My dough didn't rise........Any thoughts as to why this happened?
I was spooning off the "hooch" each morning.......I started Mother on Sunday;
I'm trying hard to be a farm girl :(
Michelle
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  10:44:18 AM  Show Profile
Anna
two words....YUM!YUM!!
I love leeks and make potato leek soup quite often. I sometimes add ham or bacon to it as well.
I will definately be trying your other recipes. they sound devine!!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

MissDotty
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

Anna
Coralville IA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  11:17:55 PM  Show Profile
I keep hearing that french women go on leek soup diets when they start feeling fat. I'm pretty sure this isn't what they meant, but it is certainly very tasty.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Confit of Leeks Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page