Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  8:22:18 PM  Show Profile
About 4 years ago I started having psoriasis on my scalp and in my ears. Sometimes I will get it elseware, but mainly there. I can no longer wear dark colors and if I itch my scalp (and boy do I want to!) HUGE flakes of skin fall. I have some steroid cream from the doctor and some shampoo, which is more of a "goop". None of these things I can use all the time. I have to take a break from them every 2 weeks, so just about the time things are improving I have to stop using them. It became such a hassle I had my hair cut short to make using all this stuff easier. Regular or dandruff shampoos don't help. I have found that washing my hair with Ivory soap and then rinsing with diluted vinegar helps get the larger scale off but its not perfect (I just started doing this so maybe it takes time).
Anyone have any ideas? I hate all those products that smell like tar. I actually wonder if I am sensitive to some soaps or detergents in general. I have the same problem around my nails, with overgrowth of skin around my cuticles and onto my nails (nails are somewhat peely at the base).

Jana

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  12:50:41 PM  Show Profile
Scalpicin works on itchy scalp.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2006 :  4:49:43 PM  Show Profile
I know you are a long way from the beach.....but I can tell you from real experience that a week at the beach in sun and salt water will heal you. In fact, the year I lived in West Palm Beach, I was psoriasis free. The sun and salt water will take it away if you get enough of both. Still use sunscreen on your unaffected areas.

Even sitting in the sun and exposing the skin that is effected will help tremendously....much more than any tar or steroid product. I have had this since I was 15. It is not fun, but I tell myself it could be a lot worse. I could have cancer or be blind or crippled. But I know the embarrassment of never wearing dark clothes, and not being able to wear my hair up.

Now when I cannot get to the beach, I try to sit in the sun for 15 to 20 minutes a day, and use bath salts. There are products that contain salt from the Dead Sea that help my skin. They are named Ahava.

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"

Edited by - jpbluesky on Feb 20 2006 04:52:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  07:05:13 AM  Show Profile
Try a vitamin supplement of EFA's (essential fatty acids), such as fish oil. My daughter finds this to be very helpful. Also adding more EFA's to your diet will help. Lots of info out there on how to have what you consume heal you. You can start with Dr. Andrew Weil's work... but there are lots of others, too. Just do a google search and you'll be amazed. Heal yourself from the inside out!

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of payer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  09:51:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the responses. I have been using fish oil capsules for some time in order to lower cholesterol (as well as eat more fish) and I don't know that that has helped the skin. I'm going to keep searching for more info. I DID have a couple of major surgeries prior to the skin problem and am wondering if that or some of the medications I was given might be the source of the psoriasis. Hmmmmm. Time to do some more research....

Jana
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  1:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Jana I too have this problem but only very slightly. My Dad had psoriasis pretty bad on his joints. I get it on my scalp, and eyebrows. And what helps a lot or I should say makes it go away completely is Flax oil. If I take at least a tbsp of flax oil a day then it goes away. And if I stop taking it than in a couple of weeks like a month or so, it comes back. You see, since it's an oil/fat it takes a while for it to totally leave the body. It changes everything about your skin. I know how you feel when I get this on my scalp it's like I want to pull my hair out, it itches so much!! And I have a lot of hair so it's a pain to get stuff on it. Also jojoba oil helps topicaly. But you must try the flax oil, it's a ittle pricey but it takes a while to use it up with just tbsp a day. Give it a try.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  2:00:24 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much Melissa! I have not tried the flax oil. I will get some tomorrow and start!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  2:04:44 PM  Show Profile
Melissa, I also suffer from psoriasis and had never heard of using flax oil. Do you take it by itself, or do you mix it with something? Btw, my dad also had it really bad on his scalp. And as someone else said, I think sunlight helps; during the summer when I'm outside alot, mine pretty much goes away.

Anyway, back to the flax, thanks for the suggestion and any info you can give me.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  08:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Well I put it on salads, soups and rice. I just squirt a little on and it actually makes things taste a little better. I can't bring myself to just take it by the spoonful, I've tried it and it just makes me gag.I don't like the idea of the pills because you don't know how fresh the oil is and flax oil must be fresh. Because old flax oil becomes linseed oil and that's what you make oil paint out of and you don't want to eat that. Also know the active ingredient in flax is the essential fatty acid or EFA and that's the same thing that make the fish oil so good for you. So I'm thinking if the fish oil isn't working than the flax may not work either. Not sure though, may be you may want to switch to the flax and see if there's a change. All I know is it works for me, currently I am flake and itch free because I'm taking my flax oil. So what I do is just squirt and good amount may be like a tsp on my salad or soup mix it in and you can still use whatever dressing the flax will just make it take better.
Also I don't use any perfume anything on my hair and scalp. Completely natural everything and very rich, fatty soap for my skin.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  4:48:37 PM  Show Profile
It was me that talked about sunlight. Believe me, my scalp is pretty bad and it is hard to get sunlight to your scalp, but if you can, it will make a big difference!!! Also salt water. I also have it on my joints....elbows and knees. I have had it over 40 years. I will try the flax oil, but I think that works more effectively for exczema type flaking. Psoriasis is more of an auto-immune related disease. It comes on during stress, which may be why you got it after surgery. That is very stressful to the body. It does not normally help to heal it from diet. At least I have not noticed any difference when I am eating organic, raw foods or more processed foods. I have lived with it long enough to observe all different kinds of climate, diet, and health level issues, etc. In fact, when I am ill it almost gets better. It is when I am most healthy that it comes on strong. It is a strange skin problem, but Elecon cortisone cream (not salve) helps most if I cannot get sunlight and salt water to my skin.

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  10:08:53 AM  Show Profile
sqrl, another question about the flax oil. I bought some from the natural food store this weekend and have been eating it on my lunch salad every day since then. How long until I can reasonably expect to see a difference? Not that I'm impatient, it's just that I'd like to know in case it doesn't do the trick for me, so I know to try something else. I'll keep taking the flax oil anyway, because in my reading I've been amazed at how beneficial it is overall.

Also, what shampoo and facial cleanser do you recommend. Thanks so much!

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  1:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Ok well I would say about two weeks depending on metabolism. And glad your going to take it anyway 'cause it's really darn good for ya. As far a as soaps and shampoos go I use only the stuff I make. I used our regular soap for my skin. But to tell you the truth I do not lather up my whole body, when I was researching making soap I learned that most of your skin doesn't really need to be soaped and scrubbed everyday so I really only use soap for the areas that need it and of course I wash my hand all the time. I just don't scurb up all my arms and legs and neck and such everyday. My skin wouldn't be able to handle it - too dry. As for my hair we made a bar that is what we call "super fatty" which means that the lye is reduced as much as possible which also means it takes forever for this soap to cure. But anyway the reduce lye makes a very rich soap and my hair loves it. I wash my hair every other day and I've got very curly hair so the night before I like to put jojoba oil on my scalp and then when I wash it the next day it kind of put a protective barrier on my scalp and it then washes the oil down into my hair. And my naturaly dry, curly hair loves it. I swear my worst enemy is water, it just dries my skin out like crazy. As for my face I don't use much. I don't wear any make up so I don't have to wash it too much. I use witchazel on my chin, neck and farhead and nothing on my cheeks and around my nose - that's where my shin is the worst so it just gets a little spash of water and that's it. I'd like to try making a witchazel wash for my skin 'cause it's supposed to be so good for it and may be a little calendula mixed in. I think it's the alcohol it the witchazel extract that buggs my skin - dries it out. eventually I'll get around to making it.

Blessed Be

Edited by - sqrl on Feb 27 2006 1:14:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2006 :  4:11:24 PM  Show Profile
Sqrl, I really do appreciate your taking the time to respond. I was feeling pretty confused, and your response was very helpful. Thank you!

http://happymama58.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2006 :  10:17:17 AM  Show Profile
Oh good, anything else just let me know.

Blessed Be

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2006 :  5:58:03 PM  Show Profile
OH major mistake!!! I thought I'd splurge and buy an organic, vegetable based shampoo and conditioner. To be honest, the castile was starting to make my hair a little "gunky" feeling. Oh, but WOW do I itch now. My scalp, my ears. UGH! I can hardly stand it. When I get off line I'm going to slather myself in oil and use the castile again. I love the lavender shampoo and conditioner, it smells wonderful, but NEVER again!!!

Jana
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Psoriasis Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page