City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  07:20:40 AM  Show Profile
In an attempt to get back to a healthy weight and feel good about myself. I've started the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD. Wondering if anyone else has subjected themselves to this torture? I'm on Level 1 - Day 2. I think Jillian is trying to kill me. I haven't even broke out the hand weights yet! The workout is only 20 minutes long but it's a killer!

Now to get a healthy meal plan in place. Something that is family friendly.

Anyone want to be my buddy?

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  5:05:03 PM  Show Profile
I've never heard of this...sounds interesting. who is Jillian Micheals?

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  10:09:57 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
I know I have been desparately wanting to get back on my diet. Can't seem to find the will power though. I don't believe I'm tough enough yet to try Jillian Michaels workouts. Now if she were here in person everyday and I had choice but to listen to her then I might get through it. But that dvd remote is just too handy- exercise off, sappy chick flick on. I think I'll work up to it at a slower pace.

Good luck Deb! I'm rooting for ya!

Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  11:19:03 AM  Show Profile
Deb, I would love to be your work-out buddy! Can I get the DVD at Wallyworld or did you have to order it? None of my friend-girls are very enthusiastic about working out with me. But I absolutely love the feeling of a good work-out! I belonged to a gym several years ago and felt better at 34 than I did at 24 or even 14! I felt so much stronger and had so much more energy and walked taller and even had more self-confidence. It's amazing what your body will do for you when you treat it right!

Let me know how you'd like to go about this! Yay!

~~Cherry~~

http://cherrymedarlin.blogspot.com

"A thing is as simple or as complicated as you make it." --TT Murphy
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4738 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4738 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  1:46:23 PM  Show Profile
I haven't heard of the "30 day Shred" either. Can you give us some more details?

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  4:06:48 PM  Show Profile
http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/dp/B00127RAJY There's the Amazon link. Here's her website - personally I think it's just a sell-a-thon type site, but info if you like: http://www.jillianmichaels.com/ I guess she does the Biggest Loser show - but I've never watched.

Cherry, I'll inbox you so we can exchange emails or if you want to use this thread here. I don't mind. I'm going to take my measurements tomorrow Uggh! I did the Wii Fit today and helped dh carry & hang a new door in the bathroom. Yes, I'm counting that as a workout! LOL! As well as my weeding in the garden.

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  10:30:31 AM  Show Profile
every bit helps!

"we must be the change we wish to see in the world"
farmgal #150
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2009 :  08:38:16 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I've left you hanging, Deb! That's part of my big problem...procrastination!! But I climbed up on the scales yesterday afternoon and was so distraught over what I saw I didn't have the wherewithal to get out the tape measure! So if you're still game, send me an email and we'll get this party started! I haven't been to Walmart to see if they have the DVD there, but I do have the Biggest Loser work-out DVD that I can do as you do The Shred. I've never had an on-line work-out buddy before, so I'll have to leave it up to you to lead the way. I'll be turning the big 4-0 next year, so that's my goal, to be fabulous and 40!!!

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  04:49:30 AM  Show Profile
I emailed you.

I'm so giddy! I just had new peddles put on my ancient bicycle! Hooray. My oldest daughter & I went out for a nice ride yesterday.

The fix-it shop guy commented on how he didn't think it was worth it to replace them.... hey! I'm re-using! Until that bike really up and dies - I'll keep peddling.

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  05:22:21 AM  Show Profile
I just checked Target's site & they have the dvd for $6.49. $6 at Walmart. On the cover it says you can lose up to 20 lbs in 30 days. I'm all for that. I might join you as well if thats ok. I believe what you say @ Jillian trying to kill you! LOL! Watching her on the show, I think she's a great trainer & person, but boy we sure would butt heads!
As someone that was overweight herself & has helped so many others, she definitely knows what she's talking about. Next time I get to one of those stores I'll pick one up. I didnt realize they were so inexpensive. I have other videos, but not hers. Keeps things fresh to have a few. Now just to do them! I've been doing better at the eating part & lost 10lbs, but have been stuck there, so it means I need to be doing more. I think this is the boost I might need.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2009 :  06:10:25 AM  Show Profile
Bravo on the 10 lbs! Would love to have you join in. :o)

You know, I've never watched the show. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  05:17:32 AM  Show Profile
I went to Walmart & Target yesterday to get the video. Target had it for $15. I guess the price I saw online was only available online. Walmart didnt have it in store. So I will either be ordering it or spending the $15 to get it. Just not this week. I do have some other workouts I can do in the meantime. So I will work on that until I can pick that up.

How is everyone else doing so far?

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  09:39:32 AM  Show Profile
Well, Sunday afternoon I walked. I picked blackberries along the way, though, so maybe it doesn't count. :) Yesterday was too busy, but I have every intention today of going for another walk, minus the blackberry picking! And I'm cleaning out the spare room today where my Gold's gym is so I can have room to use it.

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  4:19:29 PM  Show Profile
I started the 30 day shred back in the late winter early Spring. I was doing fantastic, clothes felt better, I had more energy, and I was doing so well, I gave it up.LOL Well, just yesterday I started back again. I am 54 and have tried many many work outs in my lifetime. This is the absolute best there is. I love the fact that it is only 20 minutes, and I am done. This is a very serious workout, right to the point. But like Jillian says, it beats hours of working out at the gym. Your done and you can get on with your day. That is probably what I like the most. Also, I have osteoporosis. And it is a must for me to excercise, and even at that I find it difficult to be faithful. Hopefully this thread will help keep me motivated and going. I do know that this Spring, when bending over to pick and plant it was a whole lot easier than if I had done nothing. Spending an hour is too difficult, but I can gear my brain up for just 20 minutes, and git er done.
Heres to getting stronger and healthier, you go girls.
Sheri

Many Hands Make Light Work!

...God made the seed to grow...1 Cor 3:6

Edited by - Lynner on Jul 22 2009 04:41:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2009 :  8:14:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow! I might have to buy this one! I really need to get into shape! Ugh... I hate exercising but if I must! ;)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  04:44:27 AM  Show Profile
Deb,
I dont know where you are in the work out now, but you said on day two you felt like you were going to die. Well, in level two, Jillian says, she wants you to feel like you are going to die. But honestly, if you make it to level two, you will continually notice yourself getting stronger and stronger. Tough, yes, but it is worth it. Hang in there, you wont be sorry you did.
Sheri

Edited by - Lynner on Jul 22 2009 04:45:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  05:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sheri for letting us know how this helped you. I read some reviews people gave it on the amazon link above & all of them were good. Can't wait to get this. I've been faultering on my eating & though I walk every day at least 30 minutes, I need to get more serious & strict w/myself. Jillian's definitely no nonsense. Would be great if she could sit on your shoulder & tell you... "dont you dare eat that or you will pay". I dont really like her approach on the show, but her methods have worked for so many. Her team has always won. 20 minutes like you said is something I can handle!

– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  5:31:58 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried the P90X workout?..it is based on muscle confusion to get results, although it doesn't take much to confuse my muscles anymore.!
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  04:29:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sheri! I haven't been doing the 30 day lately. I've been camping and now this week I'm working at the day camp with the kiddo's all week. Hiking all day - the last thing on my mind is doing a killer 20 minute workout!

I plan on getting back to it on Monday. I haven't tried the P90X - I do switch off with the Wii Fit and now have added bike riding to my plan.

Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  05:17:53 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lisa. I havent tried the P90X. My DH & I were going to buy that one but the cost is holding us back right now. Although I have seen it on craigslist for pretty reasonable. You do get a lot of videos. My DH was real impressed with the program & he is the type that likes to work out. I have heard its very intense. My muscles for sure would be confused wondering why I am doing this to them!

– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

CherryMeDarlin
True Blue Farmgirl

602 Posts

Cherry
Odenville AL
USA
602 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  09:02:12 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Sheri, for the first-hand knowledge! I went out yesterday and found Shred, finally, at Academy Sports. It was their last copy, so it must be popular. So, I'm all set and will get to it later today. (Ha!)

Kelly, I would love to have Jillian on my shoulder! That's just the kind of discipline I really need. Though I'd probably end up thumping her across the room!

Lisa, I haven't tried the P90X either. Is it similar to the Wii? Just the "come with" games on the Wii will give you a work-out! Have any of you done the boxing? OMG! I was sore for days after playing it for just about half an hour!

But, girls, I am wanting to lose about 30 lbs. I like to gauge my size by my Old Navy jeans. (They're the only one's that are long enough for me at 5'8 and they STRETCH!) Right now I'm comfortable in my 12's, but I want to get back down to being comfortable in my 8's. That's the size I was when the hubs and I got back together after our divorce and let me tell you, I felt some more satisfaction when he and I went shopping on our let's-see-if-we-really-want-to-make-this-work week-end get-away and I kept having to send him back repeatedly to get smaller and smaller sizes when I was trying on clothes!!! The compliments and wonderment over my hard earned new body flew around all week-end long!

So, there it is. I've put it out there. That's my goal.

~~Cherry~~

Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  3:59:14 PM  Show Profile
Cherry,
Good for you. I hear you to on the smaller size you would like to achieve. This is why the 30 day shred came to me. I had gained weight in the winter, and knew my Spring and Summer clothes were not going to work for me this year. I did not want to have to buy bigger clothes. So my youngest daughter suggested the shred. I have stayed the same size for about 6 years and needed to get back there. Thanks to the 30 day shred I did. And I feel so much better when I stay with it. It gets to be more and more of a chore as I get older. But as my husband and I keep discussing, we must get a handle on our weight and our strength while we still can. You can do this, we all can. One day, one hour one minute one second at a time. And literally it comes down to that. But so achievable. Maybe we need to make this thread, an accountable thread. Fessing up when we fall off the routine. Once you fall off, get right back on, and you are back in the game again. No need to be guilt ridden or feel like whats the use, just get going again. We are all in the same boat, so grab an oar and lets get rowing. LOL
Sheri

Edited by - Lynner on Jul 23 2009 4:03:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Deb
Chattanooga TN
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  04:16:37 AM  Show Profile
Cherry! The boxing! Uggh! I can only do the beginner boxing. I tried the advanced and almost died. Then when it told me "you didn't even break a sweat did you?' Acck! I guess I'm not coordinated enough - yet. With practice.

I too hope to lose about 30 lbs. I'm going to gauge it on how I feel and the jiggle factor. I don't want to jiggle anymore!

Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  05:05:53 AM  Show Profile
Okay,
I am bombing pretty bad. I have not excercised since last week. So many other things to do that I keep putting it off. Not good! I am going to try today, and at least try to go through the motions. Anyone else struggling?
Sheri

Edited by - Lynner on Jul 28 2009 05:06:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  05:38:09 AM  Show Profile
Me too... just have been walking my 30 minutes at work. Gotta get back on track! Haven't been watching the food too much either, but that has stayed pretty steady. IDK what I need to do to really motivate myself to not skip a day or to just say no to treats or eating something I shouldnt. Its so easy to put it on & such hard work to get it off!

– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Lynner
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Sheri
Missouri
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2009 :  06:21:34 AM  Show Profile
Well Ladies, I made it. I got er done. One more day I made myself work out. 20 minutes, that is all, I just keep telling myself that, and I am getting stronger. I really need this for my insides as well as my outsides.
Kelly, dont get discouraged because you can do this. Think about how much time you spend doing other things that take alot longer than 20 minutes. Maybe if you do this on a regular basis, you will not feel the need to eat the things that are bad for you. Because it is a hard workout, even for a short time. But it sure beats spending an hour doing something else. Your done, and can get on with your time doing something else. It really does get easier, and I would encourage anyone just starting this workout, to go slowly through the first couple of times, and just do lite movements, dont try to go as fast as the other ladies on the video. Work up to it, and you will ease into it.
Today is a new day, with no mistakes in it...Ann of Green Gables...my favorite movie.
Sheri

The best fertilizer for a farm, are the farmers footsteps...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic 30 Day Shred Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page