Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Japanese Beetles? Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  05:54:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Do you have them yet? My pal Susan has them now. She lives about 15 minutes away from Louisville on ten acres in Indiana. Last Sunday I was weeding in a daylily bed at our farm and all of a sudden it dawned on me that I haven't seen any yet. Aren't those destructive little bums usually here by now? They've always descended like the plague they are and just eaten up everything but the lilies. Could they be lighter than usual this year??? I'm almost dreading going to the farm on Friday. Things were looking so good this year. We've had plenty of water(almost too much). David and I have both worked on the outside as well as the inside this summer. I always squash the larvae between my fingers when I find them in the dirt. I haven't really found that many this year. I feel like I'm waiting for a piano to fall from a tall building onto my head.....I know they're out there....I can hear the chewing sound.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  05:57:05 AM  Show Profile
I have seen 2, literally just 2, on my potatoes. But honestly Janice, I haven't seen them in years. We used to be plagued by them all summer long when I was little (remember the bag traps?) but I feel like they've almost been eradicated here. They don't seem to be doing much damage, but I keep picking them off anyway. The thing is, I think they're really pretty!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  07:00:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
No, no, never and I mean NEVER say pretty in reference to JB's!!!!! I can forgive you for dissing my beloved Rose of Sharon's, but please, please, don't say 'pretty' about those vile beasties!!!!!
They've decimated my poor farm for years. I'll do such a happy dance if they stay away this year.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  07:07:53 AM  Show Profile
I know, I know, how can two farmgirls be so far apart on these two things, yet so close on all others?????

It's the copper and iridescence that gets me

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Japanese Beetles? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page