Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What do you think about the TV shows now airing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do you think about the TV shows now airing? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:45:45 PM  Show Profile
Like all of the Reality Shows on TV? Or, the other shows on cable?
I would much rather read, play the piano, or be outside then watch TV. I will scan all through the cable/Dish/Direct TV/ channels and find nothing I enjoy watching. So, I'll put it on the weather channel or RFD.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:52:04 PM  Show Profile
I watch RFD-TV, DIY,CMT,& the weather channel when its looks scary here or back home in Missouri where I'm originly from, and 1 show on HBO I'm embarressed to admit to I'm addicted to, "TRUE BLOOD". Reality shows are sick in my opinion, most of them anyway.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  7:54:32 PM  Show Profile
I really like to read. I would like to watch some good programs but they are hard to find. We watch a little rfd and like antique roadshow, and texas country reporter is one of our favorites. I wish hgt would get a clue and have some good gardening shows or change their name and leave the gardening part out. I need a little more realistic ideas for regular people. But mostly we sit outside and watch the dogs and chickens for entertainment.
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  8:00:13 PM  Show Profile
I really don't like the "reality" shows!!! I don't watch much TV, but if I do, I want to escape, not watch somebody else's "overdramatic" reality! I the summer I don't even turn the TV on...my DH does when he gets home from work.

My guilty pleasures include: Bones, House, CSI, and Grey's Anatomy. I also like some of the British comedies on PBS (if I can catch them)

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  9:38:04 PM  Show Profile
I am not much of a tv watcher...not any thing on a regular basis for sure. I like to catch gardening shows, some stuff on the history channel, and movies...much of the tv I end up watching is kid stuff..with my kids of course. But not alot at all. I listen to music more. We are readers. I really don't like reality shows. My kids like that one where they go across obstacles in the water...and get all beat around and knocked off stuff. UGH! I usually leave the room..head to the kitchen if they watch that.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2009 :  9:44:40 PM  Show Profile
At the moment I don't watch much tv. The weather is too good to sit inside, lol. I don't like the reality shows anymore. There are way too much here. If there is a good movie at the Hallmark Channel I will watch and that is about it at the moment :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  03:51:56 AM  Show Profile
in a word....pathetic

I'll sadly admit my guilty pleasure at watching Survivor but these days I'm in bed reading by 9,,it's the most comfortable place
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  04:40:47 AM  Show Profile
It makes me sad to think of the folks who are watching these shows...how we spend our time is how we spend our life, and many of the shows now are not a way to use up a portion of your life.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  05:05:31 AM  Show Profile
I really think tv is more about how to be cruel and hateful to others, these days. Nothing really worth watching. I do, from time to time, watch NCIS and Criminal Minds -- but the only regular thing we watch is rfd and the local news & weather. I agree with Sharlet about HGTV. I am far from one of those rich people who can afford to spend 35,000 on a new yard. Shoot, if I had 35,000 -- my fence would be fixed and I might just have a new barn. Oh. And a milk cow. Let's see HGTV do a makeover on a farm -- and I mean a USEABLE PRACTICAL makeover!!!!!!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  05:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Reality shows...bite. I'm not at ALL a fan--in fact, sometimes I think it's down-right insulting to my intelligence (sorry to girls who do like them)...

I do watch the FoodNetwork quite a bit, but not all the shows on it, I love Diners, Drive-ins and Dives and Paula Deen, and some other "science of food" show, and I watch the History and Discovery Channels and Animal Planet. We watch the Daily Show and The Colbert Report on late night (we forego our local news anymore--too depressing!) We do watch PBS quite a bit (Victory Garden, History Detectives, Nova, etc..), and yes, I have to have my Law & Order dose every night or so :) The newest show I love, though, is the Mentalist. Smart, quirky and funny, but that boy that plays the Mentalist? Simon Baker? Woweee chawowee...he could stand around watching paint dry and I'd tune in!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  06:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hahahahahahahahah, oh Jonni, too funny, yeppers, that Simon Baker is pretty easy on the eyes, lol.I like that show too, and I like NCIS. I despise reality shows. I used to like HGTV when it used to have more garden stuff, but now it's so boring with all the rich little yuppies doing up their "rundown" $500,000 "shacks", Oh, please. Spare me, man they should spend a winter with me, huddled around the wood stove trying to stay warm. I like some of the cooking shows like Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, the host of that is kinda funky, but I like seeing all the regular places he goes, also like Paula Deen if she sticks to southern cooking. I also like Tyler Florence, he has some killer recipes. I also love Texas Country Reporter!!! Other than that, tv doesnt' give me much hope for humanity, lol. If I have a good book, I'd take that anytime tho.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  06:19:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh Teresa Sue! I was going to say the same thing about HGTV. We JUST got cable in March, and I was so excited and then I thought, "what the heck?" "Who are all these lame-o people with $500K budgets to buy a house?" And more importantly,"how does this relate to me?"

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  06:21:05 AM  Show Profile

I really like the Food network. I love the food competition shows and get some good ideas from many of the programs. It has challenged me out of cooking the same ol same ol.I usually don't watch TV until I'm ready fo evening chair time and I am reading along with watching although I'm not the one in charge of the remote if you know what I mean.
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  06:23:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Jonni, HGTV used to have some shows on it I looked forward to seeing, but I hardly watch it anymore because they took all of them off, it seems they are looking for a more sophisticated audience I guess, *sigh*.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  06:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I'd get rid of cable in a heartbeat if I could - but DH likes to have it on the three nights a month he actually watches anything. *sigh* I waste my time on the computer - usually bouncing from news site to news site. Sad, isn't it?

If I do watch TV, I like Scrubs. It cracks me up - but I could also get the seasons on DVD for the same $50 we pay a month for cable.
Go to Top of Page

Tidy Aprons
True Blue Farmgirl

99 Posts

Oney Farmgirl #638
Colorado
USA
99 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  07:04:14 AM  Show Profile
We don't have cable or satellite tv...we only get NBC, CBS, ABC, and once in a great while if the wind blows in the right direction PBS. Now, on those channels there is nothing family-friendly. Talk about don't see TV! We've been thinking about getting DISH network or something so we can have things like the history channel, HGTV, TV Land ---at least something we can view as a family and not be embarrassed or have to explain!!

~Oney~
"There's something a little holy in taking care of the places we inhabit, in summoning sheen. And there's a power in watching over our spaces, the rooms we move within, the sets where our life stories unfold." ~Lori Hall Steele
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  07:29:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't watch a whole lot of TV> I let Nora watch a little of the PBS kids shows in the morning- like Sesame Street and Wonder Readers. She really interacts with them and she practices counting and color distinction and letter recognition. But after that? TV OFF! Doug watches "Trash TV" no really- it's horrible. These shows on VH1 are an embarassment to human nature. He watches because he finds it amusing but it makes me sad to think there are people out there that watch it in seriousness.

I do like NCIS, CSI-Nevada, and Grey's Anatomy. Other than that I am pretty much a leave-it type of mentality in the take it or leave it scenario. :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  08:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oney, don't waste your money on satellite. We have it because the hubbs LOVES him some tv. He loves all those hideous shows that I would be embarrassed to tell you. I would get rid of the direct tv in a heartbeat if it wasn't for him. It galls me to spend almost $70 a month and there is nothing on. The history channel used to be good, but they do a ton of reruns now and even put movies on there, like that's history. Literally, some nights we watch reruns from the 60's because there is NOTHING WORTH WATCHING ON. Can you tell it really annoys me, lol, sorry, I will get off my soapbox, lol,.................

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 4

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  08:30:27 AM  Show Profile
We don't have cable. We get the major networks, plus PBS. Although now that we have to use digital TV, the reception is excruciating.

I barely turn the TV on in the summertime. Too busy with everything outside, plus it's all reruns. But in the wintertime...whoo, boy. I watch all kinds of junk. Shows I actually like would be: The Office, 30 Rock, Life, Fringe, and NCIS. And on PBS, the random documentary or mystery (Sherlock Holmes will always be my favorite).

I have a confession to make also...I'm addicted to America's Next Top Model. Yes, I know it's horrible and vacuous and promotes unrealistic body images and has Tyra Banks in it. But there's just something about it that sucks me in. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what those fashion judges are seeing when they say, "this one is pretty, but THIS one is a MODEL."
Go to Top of Page

4HMom
True Blue Farmgirl

720 Posts

Kelly
Montana
720 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  08:39:16 AM  Show Profile
I can't believe I forgot about the Food Network...if I'm up late enough (which isn't that often) I DO like Iron Chef America. It's fun to watch what they come up with and so FAST! I also enjoy Good Eats...lots of good science and I love how he explains the HOW and WHY of things.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  08:45:12 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
LOST is my addiction. I admit I like the Real Housewives- the NJ one but that is because with all the seriousness and stress in my life, it is nice to watch people be so unrealistic and I find it humorous. I usually don't make it through a whole show, maybe about 20 minutes and I fast forward through the one gal I don't like. Other than that, PBS cartoons, some Spongebob and I do like the Barefoot Contessa on Food Network.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  08:45:35 AM  Show Profile
I'll take an old John Wayne movie any day! Most of the time I would just rather sit and quilt. It's much more relaxing and family likes to talk to me and watch at the same time. Now, if I could only get my sons to help - I'll not hold my breath on that one.

Tina

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  08:52:37 AM  Show Profile
We have an antenta only and get 9 channels. I do like The Mentalist and CSI and if I'm home I'll watch All My Children. Other than that I don't care much. My husband likes to control the remote and he usually falls asleep after about 10 minutes no matter what he watches. Neither one of us like reality t.v.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

thethriftycountrywoman
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Jane
Port Austin Michigan
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  09:02:57 AM  Show Profile
I like to watch baseball. Sometimes I'll watch a movie on Turner Classic Movies. Sometimes the History Channel. Has anyone noticed how politically biased they've become. I was watching the biography of Lincoln and Gore Vidal started ranting about Bush! What does Bush have to do with Lincoln? I should think there's enough interesting things about Abe that they didn't have to waste time on that!
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  4:21:34 PM  Show Profile
I'll admit that I'm a recovering T.V. addict. When I was watching 5 or 6 hours of T.V. a day, I kind of realized I had a problem. It was harder than you think to quit, too. Now I limit myself. I allow myself 5 hours of T.V. time a week. I was thinking 1 hour a day when I made the plan, but I allow myself to "bank" hours. I watch "Deadliest Catch" on Discovery and "Chuck," "The Office," and "30 Rock" on NBC. I usually blow the rest of my quota on football games in the fall.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2009 :  7:07:36 PM  Show Profile
After reading all the post, I have to admit I also watch, sometimes, Texas Country Reporter. If the Hallmark channel has a good movie, I'll watch it. But, like Anna, I love to read at least two hours before I fall asleep.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What do you think about the TV shows now airing? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page