Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  1:04:00 PM  Show Profile
We have some sad news from the farm ... MaryJane's mother, Helen, who you might know from MaryJane's loving memoirs of her life and teachings, passed away earlier this week. MaryJane wanted you to be able to read her obituary, which I've pasted below, along with two of MaryJane's favorite photos of her.

HELEN BUTTERS
85, Utah Native

Helen Butters, mother of local resident MaryJane Butters, passed away on Valentine’s Day, Tuesday, February 14, 2006, the result of complications that arose from an unexpected surgery. She passed away surrounded by her children and grandchildren, including Moscow residents MaryJane (and husband Nick Ogle), and grandchildren Megan Rae (and husband Lucas Rae) and Emil McCarthy (and fiancé Kate Edwards). A celebration of her life will be held on Monday, February 20, at 1 p.m. at Myers Mortuary, 845 Washington Blvd, Ogden, Utah. Family and friends may call at Myers Mortuary on Sunday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. or Monday from noon to 12:45 p.m. prior to the service.

Born October 15, 1920, she was reared in the small town of Devils Slide, Utah. Helen was a newspaper columnist at the age of 14. Her columns were delivered 50 miles, once a week, via Model T, to a Salt Lake City newspaper. She wrote how-to stuff: how to be patient with a younger sibling, how to read and enjoy Shakespeare and Dickens at an early age, how to value your cousins. She did book reviews and researched things like why burning wood crackles. She gave gift suggestions and ideas for girls’ clubs. Helen graduated from Morgan High School in 1939 and was the Student Body Vice President. She was a member of the school band and once had a chance to play her saxophone for Shirley Temple. She attended Weber College, where she received an Associate of Science degree in Home Economics.

On September 18, 1941, she married the love of her life, Allen Butters. Helen was the quintessential housewife, mother, friend and neighbor. She was content being home every day gardening, fixing wholesome breakfasts, preparing lunch boxes and sacks full of great food and surprises, and scrumptious dinners using their homegrown produce--all the while finding time to sew clothes, knit, help with homework, teach home economic classes, be a den mother, create hundreds of heirloom quilts, crochet doilies, take her family on many camping trips, hold the hand of a friend or neighbor, and above all, teach everyone through example how to love, unconditionally. She had a special love for her children and grandchildren. She always found time to play games (letting her grandchildren win), cook treats, and give hugs and kisses all around. Allen and Helen enjoyed life and each other to the fullest. They were inseparable, and she has been patiently waiting to rejoin Allen who passed away in 2003.

Surviving are five children: Judy Dean, Scott (Susan) Butters, Kent (Bobbie) Butters, MaryJane (Nick Ogle) Butters, and Rex (Sheryl) Butters, 14 grandchildren, 4 step-grandchildren, and 23 great-grandchildren. One sister, Rita Zavislan, Littleton, Colorado, also survives her. She was preceded in death by Allen, her parents, and her sister, Dorothy.

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  7:12:34 PM  Show Profile
My thoughts are with you Mary Jane and family.
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  7:46:55 PM  Show Profile
My thoughts and prayers are with you Maryjane and your family. We lost a very dear friend also on the 14th. My heart grieves with you.
Julia V.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  7:47:47 PM  Show Profile
Thoughts and prayers and sympathy to you MaryJane and your family in the passing of your mother.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  8:06:08 PM  Show Profile
Sending my deepest sympathy to you, Mary Jane and to your family, for the passing of an extraordinary woman; a true role model for all Mothers.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  8:42:15 PM  Show Profile
In celebration of your mother's extraordinary life and her gift to us of you! From my family, to yours, our deepest sympathy, gratitude and respect. Lovingly, Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  8:48:22 PM  Show Profile
We are never ready to lose a parent and I know this is such a trying time. I will sure keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers..we love you MaryJane!!

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  8:59:59 PM  Show Profile
Love, love, love. Your mother sounds like such a wonderful person - you are certainly a testament to how she lived her life. Sympathy, thoughts, prayers and feelings - I am so happy for you that you were able to be with her.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  9:15:07 PM  Show Profile
My thoughts and prayers are with you Mary Jane and family.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Fabulous Farm Femmes
True Blue Farmgirl

792 Posts

Diane
Lakebay, Tacoma WA
792 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  10:27:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Fabulous Farm Femmes an AOL message
Dear Mary Jane & family,

What a gift to have had such a wonderful woman for a mother, grandmother and role model.Please know our family's thoughts and prayers are with you.
Thank you for sharing the photos of your beautiful mother...I can see your smile, Mary Jane, in your mother's wicked little triumphant grin.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  04:57:21 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane and family, my thoughts and prayers are with you all, we too lost a parent on Valentines day, my mother in law. They were not taken from us but sent for. Blessings to all.

" Aspire to Inspire before you Expire"

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  05:19:58 AM  Show Profile
Dear MaryJane -

Reading about your mother is a reminder of the legacy we can all leave for our loved ones. She certainly lived and enjoyed her life to the fullest, and she inspired great works in her children. MaryJane, you are your mother's child, and how fortunate you are to have had such a wonderful set of parents. And you have done them proud.

My thoughts are with you in these days, and many prayers are being sent your way.

Love, Jeannie

"Sell cleverness and buy wonder"
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9092 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9092 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  06:04:05 AM  Show Profile
Such sad news. What a great lady, love to read about her and see her pictures. my thoughts are with your family.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2349 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2349 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  06:42:47 AM  Show Profile
Precious MaryJane, Meg, Emil and the rest of the whole family and friends.....Our family is praying for all of you.....for your comfort, your peace, your health and your stamina. I am so glad that I have been able to share in your stories of your mother through the book and magazines. We all have been touched by her strength, character, love and hospitality. You have been a shining example of all that she valued.

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  07:44:00 AM  Show Profile
My thoughts and prayers are with you MaryJane and your family~~What a wonderful obituary~~She sounds like a wonderful mother and a true role model for us all~~
May you find comfort in your memories and strength thru this difficult time~~
Hugs
Jan
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  10:26:56 AM  Show Profile
So sorry to hear this sad news. She has left behind a wonderful legacy.
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  12:37:12 PM  Show Profile
Such a beautiful obituary! I'm surrounding you all with peace and healing and much love. P

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SmallTownGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

117 Posts

Rose

USA
117 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  1:23:05 PM  Show Profile
My heart goes out to MaryJane and her family.

Remember what you now have was once among the things only hoped for.
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  1:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
For she taught us to live to our fullest and love to our fullest,in this she will always be remembered. I send you all my love and prayers in this difficult time. May you find peace.

blessings
beth
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  1:55:09 PM  Show Profile
A beautiful tribute to MaryJane's mother. Sending love and warm thoughts to you. You have lovely memories.

Debbie

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Luzy
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Luanne
Pueblo Colorado
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  2:00:11 PM  Show Profile
So very sorry to hear of your loss, Mary Jane. She was a wonderful role model to all of us. We are forever indebted to her for helping mold you into the wonderful person you are. My prayers are with you and your family. Luzy

--
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  4:30:52 PM  Show Profile
Sorry for your lost.
At her age though, look at all she has done and seen in her life andall the enjoyment you have had with her in the past.
shirley
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  4:33:51 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, I want to offer you and your entire family my condolences. As I read your book the first time, I found myself drawn to the stories about your parents. They sound like what we call around here "good folks", and I know you love them and miss them. You're in my prayers.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  11:24:21 PM  Show Profile
i have been so very sad today .. thinking about our sweet maryjane and her sadness. i spent over an hour looking for just the perfect card that would convey the perfect words .. when i realized .. there are no 'perfect words' for the loss of a loved one. i don't know if it was frustration or sadness or just what .. but i picked up a card with the words to the olde time hymn Amazing Grace .. and was overcome with grief and i just sat right there on the floor of the store and cried and cried and cried.

sweet maryjane .. know that you have so very many friends who, through your stories shared, carry your mother's memories in our hearts forever. love, frannie

True Friends, Frannie
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  04:19:09 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, you are blessed; for now you have a guardian angel whose name you know.

Thornton Wilder said, "There's a land of the living and a land of the dead; and the bridge is love."

She'll never be far from you as long as you love.

Sending prayers of peace up in your name....

"What another would do as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself, and there, make yourself indispensable." ---Andre Gide
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2006 :  06:27:20 AM  Show Profile
Mary Jane, and all whose lives were touched by your dear mother, you have my sympathies and my prayers.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Wings of Love Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page