Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 What's your view on Microwaves
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic What's your view on Microwaves Next Topic  

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  11:11:51 AM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
I read so many articles condemming the microwave and all the terrible things it does to food. So I chose not to own one for 6 months. I finally realized how often I use one and bought a small one. I love leftovers and use it mostly to reheat things. Where do you stand on the whole microwave issue? I love 'em but want to leave 'em!

blessings
beth

A man talking sense to himself is no madder than a man talking nonsense not to himself. Tom Stoppard "Rosencrantz & Gilbertson are Dead"

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  11:18:51 AM  Show Profile
There are times, at my house, when if it doesn't happen in the food processor, the blender, or the microwave, it just doesn't happen. Mostly we just use it to warm things up or to soften butter for baking.

I prefer conventional cooking but I take a lunch to work everyday and can be more flexible with what I eat because I can warm it up.

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  11:31:47 AM  Show Profile
I use my microwave for warming things up, melting butter, etc. Everything else I cook conventionally. I really try to use it as little as possible.

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  11:52:33 AM  Show Profile
Didn't have one ever until Steve and I married...almost 10 years ago...he came with one..and it finally died last year. I almost didn't replace it since I almost never use it..I think I just never got in the habit....but finally gave in and got a tiny little white one for cheap. It does just fine..has the little spinning glass plate in it and heats up whatever Steve needs to re-heat just fine. I tend to forget to even use it to melt butter. I don't have a problem with them..just forget I have the thing. Haha. My oldest son, however is dead set against them and won't eat anything heated in one (that he knows of. I have worked in restaurants enough to know that alot more things are heated in the microwave than we know)

Jenny in Utah
It's astonishing how short a time it takes for very wonderful things to happen...Frances Burnette
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  7:51:56 PM  Show Profile
I use mine to warm things up. The only thing I cook in it is rice and pop corn. I like cooking rice that i don't have to constantly watch and stir.

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  7:54:17 PM  Show Profile
I reheat and defrost in it, never cook in it as I what I have tried to cook turned out yucky. My Dh comes home for lunch everyday and leftovers it is. I zap it once he pulls in the drive and he is ready to eat.

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  05:43:49 AM  Show Profile
I use mine very rarely, mainly to melt/reheat. Please remember, though, that you should *never* microwave anything in plastic! (The plastic breaks down and gets into your food - ick! so bad for you!)

Edited by - laluna on Feb 17 2006 05:44:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  05:56:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
I only use mine to zap garlic! If you put it in for 10-12 seconds, it warms up just enough to peel the skin right off. I wanted to get rid of our microwave, just to have more room in the kitchen, but my husband seems to need it to cause tomato sauce to overflow. :)

http://schoolstreet.typepad.com
www.jac.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  08:06:25 AM  Show Profile
We use ours very little, to warm thing occasionally. Or to soften butter, defrost meat (that I forgot to lay out to thaw)

Awesome trick about garlic I have never heard that before.. Can’t wait to try it this weekend!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  11:25:58 AM  Show Profile
Guess the healthiest way to eat our food is raw or lightly steamed, but sometimes modern conveniences and instant gratification take over. And sorry, come summer time, I love foods cooked on a grill.

I lost interest in actually cooking our food in a microwave years ago when a chicken dish made the chicken rubbery and an unappetizing white color.

We cook on a gas stove/oven. It's so much quicker than electric, although I can't tell you how many times I have burned fingers and hands after the pilot light has been turned off.
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic What's your view on Microwaves Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page