Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Eatting Good and losing weight
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Eatting Good and losing weight Next Topic  

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  05:53:51 AM  Show Profile
My husband is about 50 lbs over weight and me 15-20. We each January try to "lose weight". We have tried low fat, low carb and while they work for me for awhile I feel bad and my husband goes around hungry and grumpy and not losing weight.
This year we took a new approach. Slow foods/whole foods/ healthy foods. We have been happily and entegeticly losing weight.
We eat only good fats and lean meats. Whole grains, brown rice whole wheat bread &pasta and other whole grains, seeds,(flax seed) and nuts. Lots of vegetables fruit and some salad. Nothing with empty calories. My husband eats a bowl of cereal before work takes 2 snacks and a lunch of what ever was leftover from supper. He is not hungry and happy . He has already gone down one pant size. He is walking on the treadmill.

The main thing is we are staying away from trans fats and corn syrup. Limited saturated fats and sugar. and smaller portion size but more "meals" a day. We use as much organic and fresh as we can. We are fortunate with our unusually warm winter that we are getting brocolli , spinach, lettuce and lots of Mushrooms! Can wait till all the fresh local fruits and vegetables come in.

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/

Edited by - garliclady on Feb 16 2006 07:22:07 AM

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  08:04:10 AM  Show Profile
GarlicLady that is great. DH and I have started watching what we eat a lot more too. It's so hard though. Growing up I ALWAYS ate healthy, my mom was really health concious but ever since I moved out on my own it's all been downhill from there. We both used to be really active but after having kids and just plain getting older everything has slowed down and we eat on the run and it's hard to break those habits. We're just making small changes at a time so it's not overwhelming on us so hopefully this time around we can stick with healthier eating.
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  07:03:28 AM  Show Profile
You know, you bring up a very interesting topic.

I was browsing through a favorite old cookbook the other day. It was first published in 1940. Back then, people weren't nearly so heavy as they are today. And fat kids? It just about never happened. I was looking at the suggested menus, and here's a sample of what I found for February dinners:

French Onion Soup
Fried Scallops with Lemon butter
Baked Potatoes
Stewed Tomatoes
Spinach and Lettuce Salad Bowl
Pineapple sherbet
Coffee Milk

Broiled Lamb Chops
Buttered Peas in Carrot Ring
Celery
Mint Jelly
Baked Apples with Ginger Whipped Cream
Coffee Milk

Tangerine Appetizer
Corned Beef with Mustard Sauce
Buttered Cabbage
Boiled Potatoes
Pickled Beet and Onion Salad
Rice Pudding with Chocolate Sauce
Coffee Milk

Cream of Spinach Soup
Baked Pompano with Shrimp Sauce
French Puffed Potato Slices
Pea, Carrot, and Cauliflower Salad Bowl
Plum Pudding with Lemon Sauce

Coffee Milk

Do you see what I see?

Every single meal, and almost every single dish, is something that contains veggies and fruits either in it's entirety or as a base. Even the desserts! No soda, no chips, crisps, rinds, or any other sort of snack food; no dips, none of the typical stuff that people today commonly shovel in front of the TV.

The processed crap we eat today was nowhere.

I also feel we've taken away many of the little ways that people get exercise or burn calories, and not everyone in the old days lived on a farm and got to do farm work. They worked in factories, in shops, and drove trucks on delivery routes. But we also have electric can openers, food processors, etc. that save little bits of work that adds up. We don't walk, we drive.

And we can now have food so fast! Fast food, candy at every checkout, and all sorts of convenience foods give us instant gratification. Microwaves give us all sorts of instant food that isn't necessarily the best quality, unless we're reheating our own homemade.

When you can grab a premade snack cake and scarf it, or have to go to the trouble of measuring, mixing, baking, cooling, and then finally eating, you're less likely to eat on impulse with the latter. And the quality is totally superior.

It's a complicated cultural phenomena, but reading this cookbook and getting back to what was done in times when people weren't so heavy was a bit of a revelation for me.

"What another would do as well as you, do not do it. What another would have said as well as you, do not say it; written as well, do not write it. Be faithful to that which exists nowhere but in yourself, and there, make yourself indispensable." ---Andre Gide
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  12:13:46 PM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
garlic lady,

that is such a good way to lose weight. So many times we concentrate on the scales rather than eating healthy. The smaller portion more frequent approach is also very helpful...I have found that people do better with weight loss if they change things slolwy, drastric changes tend to send you back to the old ways of eating. While I am in class, I eat all day...but good stuff. My class mates are alwaays asking how I stay so thin. You are doing a good thing eating more meals and less portions. Your post also made me think about another thing that i recently read, in regrads to dieting. When someone diets the body responds by lowering thier metabolic rate as their caloric intake decreases, and it stays low as long as you diet. If you don't add exercise along with the diet (doesn't have to be strenous) the metabolic rate remains low, and then when you do eat more calories they are stored you know where...this is where that whole concept of yo-yo dieting comes from....I feel like I am preaching, sorry I am just very big into tryting to help people with weight loss, because it is such a struggle for so many...Congrats on losing weight and keeping a man unhungry/grumpy and still losing weight!!! That is a hard task...lol. Peace,
Stacy

Oh..I thought of something else any one who collects vintage glassware will know this to be true...you look at the size of vintage plates versus the size of plates today, a true cause and effect realtionship when thinking about the weight probelm that we have as a society.

Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something
Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Eatting Good and losing weight Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page