Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  07:18:05 AM  Show Profile
Do you have a Paypal premier or personal account?

I have been listing items on Ebay (due to my office cleaning project)
I just realized that I am not following the guidlines
Ebay apparently added a new rule that if you refer to PAYPAL anywhere in your listing that you MUST except all types of Paypal payments including credit cards. That is a bummer since you them have to pay 2.9% + $0.30 per payment. On larger ticket items it's not so bad but on small ticket items by the time you pay Ebay fees and Paypal fees you end up with not much. If you sell a item for a dollar you only end up with $0.36.

But on the other hand you have the convience of excepting CC. I also suppose you could just figure in the fee's in the items price.

What's your thought's on this???

~~My Blog~~
Bridge's Bargains~Click to see

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  09:53:35 AM  Show Profile
Bridge -- I love PayPal for the convenience. I have a premier account. BUT their fees have gotten ridiculous. If I sell a lotion bar on eBay by the time I pay eBay fees and PayPal it costs me $1.50 per bar! I'm seriously considering not taking PayPal anymore. I've been selling on eBay since 1997 and there wasn't any such thing as PayPal back then. People just paid by money order or check. Since eBay owns PayPal they get you coming and going.

Mine is just a little old fashioned garden where the flowers come together to praise the Lord, and teach all who look upon them to do likewise.
-- Celia Thaxter

http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Feb 16 2006 09:54:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  2:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Kay I agree, Paypal is very convenient. I also like it for that reason.

I must have had the morning grumpy’s

The more I thought about it, I decided it was not that bad.
Ebay is still a great venue to sell un-needed items and in my opinion much better than holding a tag sale. Those are so much work and if you live in the country you don’t get a lot of traffic. I suppose Ebay seen a win-win idea for their business. Can’t blame them for that.

I must also say I have tried other venues of online selling and they just do not receive the traffic that Ebay does. When I want to de-clutter I like it to go quickly, and on Ebay things do move fast!! So I have decided to upgrade my Paypal and sell my de-cluttering finds on Ebay.

I have been tinkering with creating my own webpage for my handmade’s. I have added the link in my signature (please understand it is a work in progress) It also has links to my blog and Ebay auctions.

Does anyone sell on Ebay or have a webpage. Have you had good results? I would love to hear of others adventures with online selling.

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  3:08:55 PM  Show Profile
Brige your web page is really nice. I like the background was thta a template or you own design? I also have been working on my website and blog and have enjoyed it. I see you used geocities . I was going to use them and could some things to work right so I decided to use the one my internet provider offers it's users ,it is also free. We still are deciding how we are going to take payment whether we take checks and wait for them to clear before shipment (like we have done inyears past or take credit cards . If we decide to go with credit cards we will probably use Local Harvest (farm Website) and let them deal with the money and credit cards.

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  5:36:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks garliclady,
The background was a template they had, glad you said you liked it. I was debating on trying to find another one. I wasn't sure I liked it.
Local Harvest is a great site. My co-op group is listed on there. I would think they would get lots of visitors also. One thing I noticed you might want to add prices to your page, how much is your garlic powder?

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  7:45:23 PM  Show Profile
I am still working on that page but right now we have no garlic powder or braids. I probably need to put sold out till July on the garlic powder. I want to have all the pictures and captions in place even though we have no garlic at this time. Because when I do have all the stuff ready to sell I am so busy and don't want to be trying to do the web pages then. I sell my garlic powder for $7.00.

Cornerstone Garlic Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2006 :  8:14:55 PM  Show Profile
I think I need glasses. I thought you wrote "Papal Question". Oh well!

"...the setting sun is like going into the very presence of God." Elizabeth Von Arnim
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  07:59:08 AM  Show Profile
Garliclady please let your farmgirl friends know when you have the garlic powder back in stock!! I would love to have some!!!

~~Bridge's Boutique~~
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  12:53:39 PM  Show Profile
Me too! Hey, we're Italian. We'll probably buy all your garlic products! Let me know when we can.

Chao!
Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2006 :  2:09:25 PM  Show Profile
Bridge -- Here's my 2 cents about Paypal fees: I've decided not to list things under $5.00, just to make it worth my time to photograph, list, invoice, and ship. If I'm decluttering and want to get rid of stuff of lesser value, I donate to the local Salvation Army or Catholic thrift store and get a tax-donation receipt. We also have the 'luxury' of a consignment shop, so I can sell items there and get a little pin money.
Go to Top of Page

jamsnbread
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Is
Worth IL
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2006 :  10:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Send jamsnbread an AOL message  Click to see jamsnbread's MSN Messenger address  Send jamsnbread a Yahoo! Message
You may also think about paypal pro which is actually paypal's merchant account. I use this with my shopping cart on my site. Paypal pro has options on what type of payments you would like to receive and even when people pay by check its actually an Echeck and gets debited from their checking account as an ach. It has a lot of pros to it along with processing online or via a pda as well. The merchant fees are cheaper for swiped and non-swiped cards and you can process the card online via a virtual terminal. The monthly fee is $20 with no additional fees what so ever. Paypal instant transfers post immediately as well.

Isabel

Jams -N- Bread
www.jams-n-bread.com
info@jams-n-bread.com

C & A Computer Services
www.cacrs.com
info@cacrs.com
Go to Top of Page
  Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic Paypal question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: